New ESB Meters being installed by KN Group.

polarbear

Frequent Poster
Presumably you had some read the old meter before it was replaced, and who verified that the new meter was set at zero when it was installed
Prior to the new smart meter installation, I submitted a reading. Airtricity then did an ACTUAL reading which was no different to what I had submitted as the house is unoccupied and the power had been turned off at the mains. Then ESB installed their meter. I assumed that the meter would be set either at the last submitted meter reading OR 'zero'. Airtricity did an actual reading on the 20/11 and based on a zero reading now want me to pay €300.

jpd

Frequent Poster
So between the installation and 20/11 it looks like € 300 worth of electricity was used.
Have you any proof that the reading on the newly installed meter was anything but 0?

shweeney

Frequent Poster
We had a smart meter installed in September, only looking at the subsequent bills now and comparing them with the old meter (I have readings going back to 2015).

The first reading in October showed the highest daily usage of any reading I have on record - nearly 17kW/h per day, last year around the same time we were using 13kW/h a day. This was in October, so not the dead of winter and not during a lockdown. The reading I took today myself is even higher (almost 19kW/h a day vs 15 for the Xmas period last year).

I'm seriously sketchy about the accuracy of the new meter - it's seems to be reading about 25% higher than the old meter. What can I do about this?

shweeney

Frequent Poster
I installed one of these a few years ago and found it very accurate - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Efergy-Technologies-HUB-1-1-Monitor/dp/B00G5DZK8I. I think measuring yourself should give you the comfort you need?
I have something similar Airtricity gave me years ago, doesn't connect to the phone or anything but should be sufficient to cross check the meter readings. Just need to go and buy some D batteries for the clip sensor.

I compared the full Autumn/Winter period since the meter was installed with the same period last year, and it's actually a 35% increase in usage, which even allowing for people being at home more often, seems implausible, but we'll see.

Zenith63

Frequent Poster
I compared the full Autumn/Winter period since the meter was installed with the same period last year, and it's actually a 35% increase in usage, which even allowing for people being at home more often, seems implausible, but we'll see.
It would be great if you could report back. There's a lot of FUD knocking around about smart meters and them 'reading high' is a common point these conspiracy theorists latch onto. The odd one will surely be faulty, tech is tech, but I'd bet you'll find your numbers are correct as will be the case for 99.9999% of people.

shweeney

Frequent Poster
It would be great if you could report back. There's a lot of FUD knocking around about smart meters and them 'reading high' is a common point these conspiracy theorists latch onto. The odd one will surely be faulty, tech is tech, but I'd bet you'll find your numbers are correct as will be the case for 99.9999% of people.
it's possible the old meter was reading low, I'll report back either way.

Cervelo

Frequent Poster
Just looked at my last Airtricity bill which included the swap over to the new meter
Old meter reading was showing we used 16.55 Kw per day
New meter reading 15.74 Kw per day

So for me it all seems to working as should but I wonder if people are seeing higher readings with the new meters could it possible be a fault with the old meter not recording their correct usage

elcato

Slightly off-topic I am heading for probably 25% increase in usage (not bill amount) from March 20 to Feb 21.