New ESB Meters being installed by KN Group.

This is the company contracted to do work for the telecomms companies. Because they do "line-work" for eircom, they are the goto installers for indoor work as well.

The existing analogue meters were also tested, approved and calibrated as accurate when they were installed. Has anyone ever heard of the existing meters being recalibrated? Presumably, like all mechanical, electro-mechanical devices there will be subject to wear over time.
That also applies to water meters

That also applies to water meters
Hopefully the new government will put these meters to the test by introducing water charges.
After all, the last time FG were in a coalition, they introduced water charges. And the last time FF and the Greens were in power (together as it happens) they were in favour of water charges.

I was due to get our meter upgraded at the end of march but was cancelled due to covid
Rang ESB yesterday to enquire as to when the installation was going to happen hoping it would be over the next couple of weeks,
only to be told that they are only doing external meter upgrades at this stage and didn't know when internal were going to resume due to covid
I pointed out that my meter was in my garage but apparently that is considered (obviously) as internal and that they would contact me sometime in the future with regards to the upgrade
Personally I welcome the upgrade and don't expect anything other then more precise billing for my usage which is what I believe has happened when the gas meter was upgrade
My only disappointment at the moment is that I don't have a water meter and hope that the new government will resume installing meters to all properties with the view to charging for water sometime in the future

I might be building a new porch and was going to get my meter moved outside so will i have a choice or will i have to have a smart meter

I might be building a new porch and was going to get my meter moved outside so will i have a choice or will i have to have a smart meter
Re : Have To , you should be happy to move to 21st metering, like rest of advanced world, with its higher accuracy metering,.

An engineer from TDI installed a new meter in my house today. All very professional. Done in less than an hour, I was walking the dog at the time.

The door of my external meter has come off with the last wind. It's taped up at the moment. Do these new meters come with new boxes or doors. Trying to Google photos it's not clear does it replace the box entirely . I have to get some other electrical work done so if it is just going to be replaced in next few months I'll live with it. If not any idea how much to replace the box . This is the 3rd door and keeps coming off.

The door of my external meter has come off with the last wind. It's taped up at the moment. Do these new meters come with new boxes or doors. Trying to Google photos it's not clear does it replace the box entirely . I have to get some other electrical work done so if it is just going to be replaced in next few months I'll live with it. If not any idea how much to replace the box . This is the 3rd door and keeps coming off.

If you call ESB networks (not Electric Ireland) you should be able to arrange a replacement door. They allow a free fix - only one per house AFAIK. However, this depends on the box/door. If it is not the standard one they may well not have it. I don't think they replace boxes, but not sure.

Definitely will not be replacing all boxes as part of the smart meter rollout. Those doors are quite standard though, take the old one to a builders providers and they’ll sort you out I’d say!

Last edited:
The doors are not all standard, despite external appearances. The number and location of hinges vary. I had a difficuly getting a replacement for this reason. I don't know how common this might be.
ESB networks installed a new (standard) door but it doesn't fit very well . Does the job though. If calling ESB Networks, have your MPRN number to hand.

Do these new meters come with new boxes or doors.
Definitely will not be replacing boxes as part of the smart meter rollout.

KN Circet ( and all others) are repairing/replacing any damaged ETU boxes as they install the smart meter.
Duty bound to, as last man there must leave the site fully compliant to all pertinent regulations .

Last edited:
Thanks for that. I've had 2 replacement doors so far and they just don't seem to fit so I think the whole box needs replacing. I heard smart meters being rolled out in area so might hold on it and see what happens

PaywallEd...

If viewing on Windows, hit the escape key as soon as you see the article text to stop the script that will overlay the paywall message.

Or try Google to article name and select to view the cached version.

If you register, I think you can get 3 articles free/week. Same story here

https://www.fleetnews.co.uk/news/la...ehicle-home-charging-switch-off-a-last-resort

not paywalled. The DT article expands the theory that there will be huge mismatches between demand and supply capacity and speculates that mission creep may extend the circumstances/time periods that smart meters could be used to ration power use.
That's a much better article, the Telegraph one is a bit hysterical. I'd love to see an offical document where it was suggested that heatpumps were one of the appliances that could be turned off. Apart from the fact that people die every year being in homes that are too cold, so the chances of an energy company making that call is zero, heatpumps generally draw ~1kW power, it would make no sense to be turning those off when there are cars up the road pulling down 7kW.

Personally I'd be more than happy for the grid to have a say in when my car is charged so I can help make better use of excess wind energy etc. Right now I tend to just plug it in when I get home from work, which means I and most of the rest of the country are all trying to charge our cars at the already peak time of 6pm. It only needs to charge for 2-3 hours so if EirGrid are happy to figure out when is best I say game on.

The Fleetnews article makes the point that "...V2G charging will be more effective than smart charging...". I'm sure it is a bit more flexible for EVs to be able to send power back into the grid, than for the grid operator to be able to smooth out peaks by turning off a few cars, however EV batteries lose a small bit of their life every time they go through a charge/discharge cycle, so personally I would not be opting to send power back to the grid from the car.

In summary, smart charging has been talked about for years and makes a whole lot of sense. The Telegraph article at least looks like they were hunting for something to fill a page and didn't apply much critical analysis.

Good news for me, just received a letter from kncircet advising me over the coming weeks that they will again try and replace my meter
But I'm thinking that if we move to level 5 shortly this will be postponed again until we're back to level 2/3

Back