Movies to Recommend

D

Dan The Man

Having last night watched "The Day after Tomorrow" and felt that I have wasted 2 more hours of my life, I am now fed up with watching highly advertised low quality repetitive American crap!

I know that the world is full of wonderful stories that have made it to film, a lot of British and foreign films for example.

Can anyone give any recommendations on movies of REAL quality that they have seen?

Hi Dan,

I can give you loads but I'll limit it to a few films I've seen very recently that I'd recommend you rent.

The Butterfly Effect
Secret Window
The Ninth Gate (great film)
Farenheit 911 (if you haven't watched it)
City of God (Brazilian film - won an oscar)

Just a few that I've seen or seen again recently.

Movies to rent

Here are a couple of relatively recent 1s.

Runaway Jury
Changing Lanes
Training Day

The above are kinda in the thriller genre.

Rooney, sorry, Shrek 2 is pretty funny.

I thought School of Rock was good fun.

Lost in Translation:
is meaderingly amusing. Excellently made, script direction and cast. Murray is sublime; literally. And yer one, wha.

If you like Tarrantino and you enjoy a mixed genre film(s) with a light dusting of comic book heroics then the

KIll Bill
series is fun.

I know some of the above are relatively old but aren't we all.

If I think of any more that are available to rent I'll post back.

day after tomorrow

I actually thought that The Day After Tomorrow was excellent. I saw it in Stockholm and the audience clapped at the end which was a first for me. I suppose they are more frightened of a new ice age than most. I hated Independence Day and the other meteor on its way to earth movies but I thought Day After Tomorrow packed a punch. The visual effects (in a cinema, not DVD) of Antarctica at the begining were amazing and worth the admission. There was the usual Hollywood tear jerker story but I dont think it took too much from the film and you need that sometimes or people will thinks its a documentary and not watch it.

Also, movies like that which are based on fact can help a long way to educating the non-Kyoto American public.

The movie got me thinking and I did some research and while the chances of an immediate ice age are very slim, it could well start within 100 years but of course scientists differ on whether the N Atlantic drift will disappear etc etc.

Top Movies

List of top 250 movies on IMDB ( Internet Movie Data Base ).

www.imdb.com/chart/top

Would agree with the vast bulk of them. There are some turkeys in there but I find with this list that where I disagree I tend to be in the minority.

american crap

Have to disagree on
Runaway Jury
Changing Lanes
Training Day
Three more examples of American Crap I would think!

Agree with Piggy, Butterfly Effect and Secret Window(Johnny Depp) are well crafted movies.

city of God = great ...but have you seen...

Im not scared?

An italian film called "io non ho paura" or in english Im not scared. It was such an amazing film - please dont be put off by the subtitles. While you are watching it you feel you are in italy, you can feel the heat burning down on the corn fields from the screen and the friendship between the 2 boys in the film could thaw the coldest of hearts........

The other unusual thing about this film is that it was originally a book and I dont think Ive seen a film that holds and respects a book as closely as this film did (and Im including lord of the rings in that).

I believe recently it was in the IFC but if you have the opportunity please go see it!

cas

Re:good movies

"Amelie" is a great movie. Listen to the directors commentary version afterwards.

Re: Re:good movies

I really enjoyed 'The Opposite of Sex' with Christina Ricci & Lisa Kudrow which was shown on TV last week (though I had seen it in the cinema some time back. My favourite line was;

"Lucia and Carl had their baby. You can imagine the pick of that litter. It was the kind of kid that if you played with it too much after a feeding, you threw up." - spoken by Dedee Truitt (played by Christina Ricci) in The Opposite of Sex, written & directed by Don Roos

Re: BAD movie

:no
Whatever y'all do - when down at the video shop DO NOT get 'Elephant'!!! It is the biggest load of sh*t! I was disgusted at the end of the film that I had let that crap suck up two hours of my life + money to rent the damn thing! :mad

It is supposed to be based on the Colombine shootings... it is utter crap, I'm full of hate just thinking about the darn thing! All the movie does is follow these sh*tty 'actors' around the high-school... there is no dialog of interest... just crap like 'Hey Bob'... 'Hey John' (as they pass each other in the hallway). I pressed on watching the thing thinking the movie would kick in but it DIDN'T!! I was a fool!

The movie was so crap that when I returned the dvd to the video shop, my b/f slipped a message into the back of the dvd cover (on the shelf) telling people not to rent the movie.. it was THAT bad!

soc

The Last Samurai (Some Great Fight Scene's Typical Tom Cruise)
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (if you can get passed the opening scene Very Weird but Jim Carey is excellent BRILLIANT)
21 Grams (Very Slow and frustrating at times but well worth wading trough)
50 First Dates (Chewing gum for the mind)
The Football Factory (UnReal Brilliant)
The Cooler (Great! Twists all over the Place)
Shaun of the Dead (Typical britt Comedy)

2 good ones on TV tonight, one after the other, on Channel 4.

Touching the void
Memento

Happy Gilmore. Very funny film. Some quotes:

Grandma: Sir, can I trouble you for a warm glass of milk? It helps me go to sleep.
The Nursing Home Orderly: You can trouble me for a warm glass of shut-the-hell-up! Now, you will go to sleep or I will put you to sleep. You're in my world now, grandma.

Nursing Home Orderly: Good news, everybody, we're extending arts and crafts time by four hours today.
Old Woman: My fingers hurt.
Nursing Home Orderly: What's that?
Old Woman: My fingers hurt.
Nursing Home Orderly: Oh, well, now your back's gonna hurt, 'cause you just pulled landscaping duty. Anybody else's fingers hurt? ...I didn't think so

Shooter McGavin: Stay out of my way, or you'll pay. Listen to what I say.
Happy Gilmore: Yeah, why don't I go eat some hay. I can make things out of clay, or lay by the bay, I just may. Whaddya say?

Shooter McGavern: I eat pieces of This post will be deleted if not edited to remove bad language like you for breakfast.
Happy Gilmore: You eat pieces of This post will be deleted if not edited to remove bad language for breakfast?!

to soc re: Elephant

soc,

I know Elephant wont be to everyone's taste and yep, there are way too many long, uncut shots following someone around miles of school corridors.
But I think the filmmaker has succeeded in portraying the people caught up in the shooting horror as just that, ordinary, average kids nor were the shooters the monsters we conveniently assume they were.

My suggestions from films I've seen lately:

21 grams
The Cooler
Inside I'm Dancing

Re: to soc re: Elephant

I agree with some of the films above, but my God - The Cooler!! I had read a great review of it so my girlfriend and I got it out last night. We both thought it was awful. Terrible cheesy jazz soundtrack. I don't know what Macy was thinking. He's normally great but he was This post will be deleted if not edited to remove bad language in this. The acting was awful, the sex scenes stomach churning, the only decent piece of acting was Alec Baldwin.
I know some like it, but I just couldn't hold my toungue on it!

Let me add HERO as a great film to see. It has leapt into my top 3 films. It is a masterpiece.

Re: to soc re: Elephant

Coolaboola's random flick recommendations (in no particular order):

Airplane
The Producers
Blazing Saddles
Happy Texas
Fargo
The Shawshank Redemption
Outrageous Fortune
First Wives Club
Shrek
Finding Nemo