Mary Hanafin on Barack Obama

Don't fall for the spin. Batt has many other options open to him for saving money before hitting primary school kids. He could start with cutting the subsidy to private 3rd level colleges (i.e. tax relief on course fees) and the subsidy to private 2nd level schools (i.e. teachers salaries).
Indeed, he could have just not given the teachers pay rises this year or the government could have not given pay rises to public sector workers earning over €150'000... you're right; there were loads of choices.

And there was silly old me thinking that free speech was a basic fundamental right!

We have all sorts of laws that rightly curtail free speech; we cannot slander, we cannot defame, we cannot seek to inflame hatred, we cannot shout “Fire!” in a crowded building if we know there is none.

And there was silly old me thinking that free speech was a basic fundamental right!

You can talk all you like about free speech and fundamental rights, but as a parent it worries me when teachers resort to silly and childish namecalling that they would presumably not tolerate from their own pupils.

We have all sorts of laws that rightly curtail free speech; we cannot slander, we cannot defame, we cannot seek to inflame hatred, we cannot shout “Fire!” in a crowded building if we know there is none.

If you feel that I've slandered or defamed or inflamed hatred or shouted Fire, click the red triangle and let the moderators (and not the wannabe mods) moderate.

You can talk all you like about free speech and fundamental rights, but as a parent it worries me when teachers resort to silly and childish namecalling that they would presumably not tolerate from their own pupils.
I can understand this concern. To me, it pales in significance against the concern of increased class sizes and reduced teaching resources for many of those who need it most, but maybe that's just me.

If you feel that I've slandered or defamed or inflamed hatred or shouted Fire, click the red triangle and let the moderators (and not the wannabe mods) moderate.

I can understand this concern. To me, it pales in significance against the concern of increased class sizes and reduced teaching resources for many of those who need it most, but maybe that's just me.

I have to say I agree on both counts.

I would be quite sure Minister O keeffe has been called worst things and what his or any other politicians nick names are, is clearly not the issue. It is how they represent us and use our money is all I am interested in.

on a different note, This country is crying out for a Obama or Cameron type politician. Someone with panazz and entusiasm and fit enough to run our country. Why are most of our ministers over weight and unhealthly looking.

on a different note, This country is crying out for a Obama or Cameron type politician. Someone with panazz and entusiasm and fit enough to run our country. Why are most of our ministers over weight and unhealthly looking.

Cameron? :confused: :rolleyes:

Maybe if there were less incompetent and/or immature teachers (including those who like to call the Minister silly names), increased class sizes and reduced teaching resources mightn't matter as much?

A bit pointless, a full four days after you made the comment, I would have thought?

Btw, so your right to free speech isn't a basic fundamental right after all :confused:

Maybe if there were less incompetent and/or immature teachers (including those who like to call the Minister silly names), increased class sizes and reduced teaching resources mightn't matter as much?

A bit pointless, a full four days after you made the comment, I would have thought?

Btw, so your right to free speech isn't a basic fundamental right after all :confused:
Coming to conclusions about a teacher's teaching ability based on their choice of slogans during a PR campaign is fairly pointless IMHO.

My right to free speech is an absolutely fundamental right. That does not mean that I expect to have unlimited rights on Askaboutmoney.com - that's a different question altogether.

My right to free speech is an absolutely fundamental right.
If free speech was a basic fundamental right in this country then we could not have incitement to hatred legislation in place... but I suspect you knew that.

I don't feel that you have slandered or defamed or inflamed hatred or shouted Fire. I was pointing out the flaw in your supposition that you had an unlimited entitlement to free speech. Try to read what’s written, then you won’t have to make childish swipes ;)

If I feel that your posts break the posting guidelines then I’ll flag it to the moderators... just like any other poster can do.

No, I agree as well but that's not what we're talking about... it's also not as important as the AIDS pandemic but we're not talking about that either.

I have found that she makes a genuine effort to explain things clearly to the general public when asked a question even when it is not good news.

Really? She recently sadi, in relation to the payment of 200 million Xmas bonus being paid to SW recipeients that it will help those who have lost their jobs in recent times. Unfortunately, the bonus is only payable to thoise over 15 months 'signing on' so it will only help those who couldn't be bothered to get a job before the recession hit.

Coming to conclusions about a teacher's teaching ability based on their choice of slogans during a PR campaign is fairly pointless IMHO.

You obviously have no idea why teachers as an occupational group have fallen so sharply in public esteem in recent years.

Really? She recently sadi, in relation to the payment of 200 million Xmas bonus being paid to SW recipeients that it will help those who have lost their jobs in recent times. Unfortunately, the bonus is only payable to thoise over 15 months 'signing on' so it will only help those who couldn't be bothered to get a job before the recession hit.

Yes, good point.

Back