Mary Hanafin on Barack Obama

Dave Vanian

Two comments from this morning by Mary Hanafin. I heard one on the radio while driving so I'm paraphrasing, but the gist of it was "It's great that America will have its first black president. I don't agree with all his policies, but it's a historic occasion blah blah..."

Er...Mary...wouldn't you think that Mr. Obama's policies are possibly more important than the colour of his skin, a subject that he's been careful NOT to over-play in his campaign?

Then, from [broken link removed]..."Social Affairs Minister Mary Hanafin, meanwhile, said the Government wasn't too worried about Mr Obama's tax policies and the effects they could have on US companies operating in Ireland."

Well that's okay then. Insightful analysis that will no doubt have thousands of Irish employees of US companies breathing a sigh of relief this morning. :rolleyes:

Two comments from this morning by Mary Hanafin. I heard one on the radio while driving so I'm paraphrasing, but the gist of it was "It's great that America will have its first black president. I don't agree with all his policies, but it's a historic occasion blah blah..."

Er...Mary...wouldn't you think that Mr. Obama's policies are possibly more important than the colour of his skin, a subject that he's been careful NOT to over-play in his campaign?

My memory isn't great, remind me again, what did Mary call Leo Varadkar?

Must have missed that...do tell...
Regarding Leo's proposal to give foreign nationals the option of taking a lump sum 6 months unemployment benefit to enable them to leave the country, she said:
"Well he can't be talking about Europeans, so that means he can only be talking about Africans - and that means he's racist"

We are privileged to have such insightful politicians...

But what is even stranger is she said something along the lines of "well I was at the selection convention in Denver so I feel I have to continue to support him now..." eh, you don't have a vote in either the Selection process or the actual election whats going on there omnipotent one?

Why oh Why do Radio stations keep putting her on air. Why also does she continue to get elected. She has to be the most annoying person in politics, ( and there are more than a few)talks pure and utter shi*e. LS.

Imagine what it may have been like to have her as your School Teacher!!!

Will Obama's future tax policies have a positive impact on US FDI in Ireland?

So Mary does not agree with all his policies.

Fair play to her being honest - more so than many other media outlets and politicians.

There is harldy an argument that the colour of your skin greatly impacted the opportunities open to many Americans. She is absolutely right to compliment him and to be impressed that he has overcome stereotypes and cultural / racial divides.

Being impressed with that does not mean that you have to support his policies. She made her position clear. As a policitician it would harldy have been wise to say that she thinks that US MNCs will repatriate all their money and jobs.

I have found that she makes a genuine effort to explain things clearly to the general public when asked a question even when it is not good news.

I wouldn't be Mary's biggest fan, but at least she ensured that Education got a fair slice of resources, unlike Batt O'Thief.

I'm slow this evening.
I agree that Complainer should withdraw his comment.

I'm slow this evening.
I agree that Complainer should withdraw his comment.

Calling someone a thief is a serious accusation. I think you should withdraw it.

Lighten up people - It's OK to make jokes are Mary doing the business with Barack but not to repeat a little pet name some of the teachers use for Batt???

Indeed - how dare Batt stick to a budget and not add to our unsustainable deficit.

Don't fall for the spin. Batt has many other options open to him for saving money before hitting primary school kids. He could start with cutting the subsidy to private 3rd level colleges (i.e. tax relief on course fees) and the subsidy to private 2nd level schools (i.e. teachers salaries). We don't expect the state to pay the docs/nurses in Blackrock Clinic, so why do we pay the teachers in Blackrock College?

Back