looking to buy D15'ish

decembersal said:
There are nice restaurants and pubs in Clonee compared to Clonsilla where there is only one of each.
Clonee Village has nice pubs and a couple of restaurants but try walking to them from the estates sold as Clonee. Some of those houses would take half an hour to get to Clonee Village from.

decembersal said:
The back roads via westmanstown to Lucan also provides easy access to the M50 without forking out 1.80e.
'easy'? Lucan is a traffic nightmare, as is the N4 approach to the M50. There's no such thing as an easy approach to the M50-anyway he might need to go northbound on the M50!

Mate, stay well clear of Tyrrelstown, it's a kip. As far as your budget is concerned your best bet is probably St Mochtas, Windmill or Ongar. Apparently there is going to be a train station built @ Ongar. I'm in Mount Symon and the prices are absolutely madness. The latest 4 bed semi sold for 400K. How that can be justified I'll never know. Try Llod Daly's for an idea, he's a good operator. As for my comment about Tyrrelstown, sorry if I've offended anyone, but it's the truth...............

The station at ongar (Hansfield) is still years away. You'd have to catch a 39 to the station. Windmill is walkable to Coolmine and will likely have a station before Hansfield.

You won't see a station at hansfield until the SDZ development of the land starts and probably raches phase 2 or 3 (like Adamstown). See [broken link removed]

positive au contrair now is a good time for buying with not as many people looking to buy after the christmas period, I m living in mulhuddart havent had any problems with crime and that

positives: decent bus routes 38a,38. Shopping close to best shopping centre in dublin, plenty of spars etc.

big negative: traffic only 3/4 roads out of blanch area always clogged-- on N3 in morning commuting to the city centre will drive you nutty :mad:

but if you work in the area Id go for it-beware of management fees estates like ongar and tyrellstown/castlecurragh its a bit of a rip off
hope that helps:)

meant to say mulhuddart -saddlers/mulhuddart wood warrens town i think good value close to s/centre you could walk over when the traffic is clogged

murphaph said:
Windmill is walkable to Coolmine and will likely have a station before Hansfield.

How do you mean? Coolmine already has a station. You could walk from Windmill (5 mins) so I can't imagine any plans for an extra station between Clonsilla and Coolmine.

I can't imagine any plans for an extra station between Clonsilla and Coolmine.

A station is ment to go under the flyover next to Woodbrook. Unfortunately planning difficulties have slowed it all up. Castlethorn (developers) want to put up a high-rise and are stalling the station as a result.

Wow - thanks Mister H, didn't realise that.
That'll be a lot of stations if they all materialise. . .

Indeed, Porterstown Station will be more important than either Clonsilla or Coolmine as it will be a major transportation hub for D15 with the metroWest interchanging with the Maynooth/Navan DART and many buses serving the rest of D15 interchanging with metro & DART here.

Castlethorn are acting the maggot but FCC are standing firm afaik. Woodbrook is 4 (I think) storeys and Castlethorn want phase II (just to the west) to be 8. Many locals are opposed to this. I'm a fan of densification but I think this is blatant greed and 4/5 storeys is plenty this far from the city centre. Build the 8/10 storey blocks in town for God's sake.

Hi guys

1st post here. I live in Riverwood, just opposite proposed new development. As far as I know, the station is a planning requirement (i.e. station before apartments). Also, planning permission for a scaled down scheme (prabably no bigger then Woodbrook - 4 storeys or so) was approved late 2005. Castlethorn erected a shiny new hoarding here Xmas week, so it looks like work is ready to start. There will also be a new roundabout into riverwood dene and spped bumps (long overdue) along this road.

Thanks Quinno, noticed the new hoardings on my daily trek to coolmine station. Hopefully, something will happen soon and hopefully it isn't too high.

"Mate, stay well clear of Tyrrelstown, it's a kip."
-Just wondering why you've that opinion Sebb...I have to say I've recently moved out there, and am finding it wonderful. I've loads of amenities right on my doorstep, and really nice village atmosphere.So far I can't fault it. I 've also live in Castlecurragh, I liked it there too but I didn't feel anywhere like as safe in Castlecurragh as I do in TT

Would also recommend Tyrrelstown. Have been there for almost 3 years, thoroughly happy, even more so now that the town centre is up and running. Still offers great value for money in D15, even now.

Not sure why the earlier poster claims that it's a 'kip', since he didn't elaborate. I think it's one of the nicest looking estates around, has excellent range of shops and amenities and nice neighbours to boot! (mine are, anyway).

Sebb said:
Mate, stay well clear of Tyrrelstown, it's a kip.

And how do you come to this conclusion? Have you lived there? Or are you just basing this on some overheard conversation? I don't know where people are getting their ideas about Tyrrelstown from. I've lived there for 3 and a half years now and not only have I never had any trouble but I feel safer here than anywhere else I've lived in Dublin. I have some great neighbours, I play on the local footy team and we now have a Town Centre that would rival anywhere else in the City. There is also a community website which has facilitated a lot of neighbourhood events like annual halloween parties for the kids, nights out for the older kids, a Summerfest event last year and a lot of other stuff in between. You'd be hard pressed to find another place with the same community spirit after less than 5 years in existance.

Back