looking to buy D15'ish

positivenote

Hey folkes, just came across this forum and reading the posts it seems very helpfull. My situation is that we are looking to get on the propertyy ladder, as the saying goes. Ideally our first home will be a 3 or 4 semi in d15 area... with all this stamp duty rubbish we are having to look at new devs or at leat 2nd hand home under the threshold. ANY advice where is good, if there are any new dev's in the pipeline or if you can forward ANY advice/recomendations it would be greatly appreciated.
We dreamt of places like carpenterstown and the like but alas we were only dreaming... $$$$$$$
Thanx in advance

Have you tried Castlecurragh Estate Area....I live there and find it great....easy access to the N3, 10 mins walk to the shopping centre, very close to the business parks and industrial estates so renting is very easy, close to local shops, Blanch IT and the prices for a 3 bed semi range (with extended sunroom) between 300 and 320 at the moment. It has a regular express bus into town (38A) and very close to the other main bus routes (38, 41, 70, 39, 39A and 39B)...the drawbacks would be its closer to Landswell/Dromheath (not so nice area) than most of the other estates, 20 min walk to Blanch village and 25 min walk to train station.
Hope this helps

Have you visited Tyrrelstown or Ongar recently? Both of their villages have now been completed and are up and running. I think both of these are very attractive developments and Tyrrelstown is quite reasonably priced.

There is another estate near Ongar called Latchford. When I was looking to buy in Blanch (I'm from there originally) early this year, I thought in the D.15 area they were the best buy. They were in process of being built so I'm not sure what stage they are at. There is also another little estate near Castlecurragh called The Saddlers which in my own opinion is a better estate. I lived there for six months when it was first built and I had no problems - that was about 8 years ago though!

Another D15 native here. D15 is actually quite huge these days and everywhere from almost Lucan to Meath and Finglas appear to be in Castleknock (or will be soon). I'd be wary of dreaming of Carpenterstown, or any large estate area. Be clear on what you want to be near, how far to you want to have to go in the morning commute before you get onto a main road and actually get somewhere . . . don't dream of a newish house with a nice address on a small site when you may get something far better that's a bit older and still in D15. I don't know your circumstances of course, where do you work: in D15?, on a rail route?, do you need to drive there? Do you drive or do you walk everywhere? I know that in the older estates in Blanch village not a lot goes for sale that regularly . . . last one on my folks estate was over a year ago. but Summerfield is newer, nearby and appears to sell really quickly due to it's location. I know people who have been trying to get back into the village from Clonee estates as they are (in their minds) a step too far out on commute/convenience stakes. All depends on what's important to you though.

cheers for the bit of advice. i was driving around the area today and came across places called mount symon and castlefield. both of these locations are ideal for us as she has all intentions of getting the train into town everyday and im close enough to the m50 for my liking. The only problem is taht they all seem to be sold out and there are very few (2 that i saw) that are on themarket, as we were hoping to avail of the avoidence of paying stamp duty (under 317.5 or a new development, these are slightly out of our reach. I did notice that there was a sign across from castlefield on the way in for planning permission by Lyman Properties for more developments... does anyone know where i can find info on this development and/or and other potential new devs in this area? any help would be great as the advice so far has been helpful.
THanks

I live in Mount Symon. This development was completed about 2 years ago. Most houses are 4 bed with a small number of 3s. 4 beds going for around 380/390.

Don't hold your breath on the Lynam site between Mount Symon and Castlefield. Lots of local residents have objected to this in the past and Fingal CC have thrown out the last few planning applications that Lynams have submitted for this site. Personally I can't see anything happening here for some time.

The area behind St Josephs Hospital was designated as an SDZ by the government which is supposed to fast track high density development. However this whole scheme was recently before An Bord Pleana so I don't know when things will get moving there. Hopefully not until the Navan rail line is a bit more than a pipe dream.

We bought in Carpenterstown in April and we're happy with the area (but why oh why isn't there a coffee shop!).

There's a new development going up nearby called Windmill and it's on the market. See the posts in the other thread in this forum on Windmill.

On a related theme, I gave up on the train as it was so crowded. I found you can cycle into town (through Phoenix Park) in the almost the same amount of time, and it's much less frustrating. Our car is now just used to go to Tesco once a week.

yeah we saw that windmill dev and it looks good but alas we are looking for a 3 or 4 bed, semi preferably, in and around that area. Our budget is around the 350 mark but im not too up on safer areas in this location. Im looking at places in various areas of clonsilla and clonee but am ignorant to certain areas within these locations. Ideally we where looking at the likes of castlefield or mount symon, but they are out of our budget.... slightly. We ahve recently gone as far as clonee village looking around for advertised properties, but the areas dont look the best.

Have you considered Hartstown? There are some older properties here (dating from the mid 80's right up to late 90's) which may just come in under the threshold. I know my house, which is a 3 bed dormer semi is valued at about 300k but it's a touch bigger than the others on the road which would probably sell for 280-290k. The new Ongar Distributor Road opened the other day so now I can walk from my house in Hartstown to Clonsilla Station in about 10mins. The Blanch Centre is a 20 min walk but I have a supermarket, post office, pharmacy, pub and 24 hr garage just a minute's walk from my house. Recently 3 infill houses have been built within a minute's walk of my house. Worth checking out I have to say. If you have kids there are both primary and secondary schools just 5 mins walk away, and a church if you're catholic! All in all, a pretty good area. The proposed metro is 12mins walk from my house too, so expect that to drive up prices in years to come.

murphaph said:
Have you considered Hartstown? ..... I have a supermarket, post office, pharmacy, pub and 24 hr garage just a minute's walk from my house.

You are not talking about that kip the Hartstown House by any chance. I was in it a couple of weeks ago with a friend from the area and had to leave because the noise (so called music) was so loud coming from the lounge into the bar that you couldn't hear yourself think. I don't have a problem with pubs having music but they should also have somewhere for people who don't like or aren't interested in the music.

I'd rather give up drinking altogether or drink at home rather than have to suffer that again.

Murt

Murt10 said:
You are not talking about that kip the Hartstown House by any chance. I was in it a couple of weeks ago with a friend from the area and had to leave because the noise (so called music) was so loud coming from the lounge into the bar that you couldn't hear yourself think. I don't have a problem with pubs having music but they should also have somewhere for people who don't like or aren't interested in the music.

I'd rather give up drinking altogether or drink at home rather than have to suffer that again.

Murt
Yeah, the Hartstown House. The bar is pretty poorly separated from the lounge alright. I haven't been in there in ages as I drink in town mostly. Town is handy at the weekend for a drink-train to Tara St, 39N flies home (doesn't go the route of the regular 39). No poxy taxi fares. There's always the Clonsilla Inn which is between 10 and 15 mins walk from my house. As for drinking at home, well there's a full off-licence in the Spar for those without a car.

cheers for the response and keeping the thread going folkes. Is it just me or is christmas a bad time for house hunting.... as very little seems to be on offer since i first start looking in D15 up untill know??? anyway, it looks like we might be settling for either clonsilla or clonee at this rate... the houses in clonee seem to be a bit better value than those at a similiar price bracket in clonsilla, although in saying this i know very little about either areas. For example what are places like Rusheeney, bramblefiels like in comparison to places closer to the train station like lohunda and inglewood???? once again we are looking for a semi 3/4 bed below the 350k mark if anyone has any sugestions or advice..... or info on knew devs.
once again thanks in advance for any advioce

There are a couple of houses for sale in St Mochta's estate, close to Coolmine station (and that Windmill dev discussed earlier in this thread), close to shops, main road, walking distance to town centre but far enough away at the same time (ie if you went on a shopping spree you wouldn't want to walk back). They're nice houses in mid 300k range, under 10 years old I think - do a myhome.ie search by map and you'll see them.

Here's a few prices ([broken link removed], though some seem very ambitious in my reckoning. Note that the estate agent has put up the wrong picture for no. 1a cherryfield lawns! It's jut being finished off (there are 3 infill detached houses just eing finished off in hartstown-Lloyd Daly has them all but I can only see the Cherryfield Lawns, Willow Wood ones there. There's a third 2 storey (not dormer) as well. Might be worth giving them a call. No. 1 and 1a Cherryfield Lawns takes me 15mins to walk to Clonsilla Station but if and when the council open the (temporary) gate from Mount Symon onto the Ongar Distributor Road that should knock 2 or 3 mins off the walk. A lot of people take longer to drive to Clonsilla station than that!

Personally speaking I'd much rather live in South Hartstown (only really including the western arm of Lohunda and Inglewood) with quick access to the railway than Rusheeny which is just that bit too far away (over 20/25 mins walk) to make it convenient.

Keep an eye out for houses in Stonebridge. Very quiet cul de sac streets which will never be hrough roads yet you can walk to Clonsilla station in no more than 10mins. and the Ongar Distributor Road is just through a boundary wall (there is a limited 'express' 39 bus which uses the road but in future the road will carry a lot of buses). You'll have the shops in hartstown 5 mins walk away and a new Aldi opposite Castlefield opening soon too. Just some things to bear in mind.

Hey positivenote,
A 3 bed house in Mount Symon has just gone on sale with an asking price of 360,000. (it's on the flynn and associate website). Although it isn't overlooked from behind, the newly opened Ongar distributor road is at the end of the garden.
December

I don't think an extra 10K in the context of 360k is alot of money. So talk to your lender. It is still inside the higher stamp rate cut off point.

I read your other threads about Clonee, I'm not overly familiar with the estates in the area but the new shopping area in Ongar is great- loads of differenet food shops, chemist, dry cleaners, xtra vision etc. It is also easy to get to compared to the B centre. There are nice restaurants and pubs in Clonee compared to Clonsilla where there is only one of each.

However, it is harder to get to the train station from Clonee, you would probably have to use the bus or drive and the traffic is heavy in the mornings. From Mt Symon it would be an 8-10 mins walk. The back roads via westmanstown to Lucan also provides easy access to the M50 without forking out 1.80e.

Back