Legal apprenticeship: any tips on trying to find a trainee solicitor job

dont feel too down...you might get a call yet.
nobody knows anything for sure....we're all just speculating. For instance, how do you know that they dont ring all Dublin candidates first, then Cork, Limerick, Galway etc etc (not necessarily in that particular order) ... or something along those lines..?

Jev, did you hear of others who got calls?? What time did you get your call at??

Got my call around 10am, I was in the exam at that stage. I'd been chattin' to one of the lads before that who had said he got an e-mail from them late yesterday evening.

I haven't a clue how they're calling/e-mailing, whether it be by location or what...

I do think (as blunt as this sounds) that most people (even if they have first class honours) are not looking at blackhall 2009. Something even worse to consider is the fact that this means that double the number will be applying for 2010!

I've had all FE1's since 2006 - being working in law firms since them. I'm gone past being disappointment (possibly into martyrdom now instead!) but I think it's going to test people and their conviction in wanted to be a solicitor.

Got a call from MOP earlier although I was in an exam so didn't get the voicemail til after; they sent an e-mail over too

Sorry to hear about the rejection from Arthur Cox, they do have a really nice letter though, I dunno if it's the same as the ones after the first round interviews?

Congrats on the interview with MOP.

Possibly was the same letter - it was very much a "it's not you, it's me. I like you, it just won't work out between us" kinda letter!!

Congratulations to everyone who received an offer from Cox's. I haven't heard anything back so I guess my letter will arrive tomorrow. Absolutely gutted to be honest.
Got a PFO from Maples & Calder today by email-nothing yet from MOP's.

Interview for A&L in January, so at least I have another shot!

The whole process is pretty disheartening though, I have a 1:1, 5 blackhalls, a post grad in law and one years experience working in a corporate law firm in Europe and still Im getting PFO's. I think I should start offering them bodily organs in exchange for a traineeship at this stage!!

Looks like i'm not going to hear from mops then. Last year i got to the final round and when i got the rejection call i was told it literally was a toss up between me and someone else for the final place, and that they really wanted me to apply this year if i didnt get anything else. I really dont understand how the application process works!...

just got a call from mop so dont give up hope yet!seems theyre just taking their time getting round to everyone

Well done Sarah2!!! Although i've called them 5 times today so i'd say they are SICK of me. i'm just so anxious to know!

5 times today!! I hope you don't give your real name!! Priceless!! If I had thought of it - i'd have done it too!

Hey Guys, ended up getting offered arthur cox so obviously over the moon. I will say however that i did not get any other interviews with any other firms (I take if we have not heard from Maples or MOP by now it's a write off?) so it definitely is really hard to know what exactly they are looking for so everyone keep the heads up and don't give up, it will work out for you eventually!

Just got PFO e-mail from MOP.

Haven't heard anything from EFC but don't expect to as I think they'd trainees booked in for 2009 and only recently had to tell them that they won't be taking them on. Doubt they're too keen about looking at 2010 intake.

Waiting on WFry and LK Shields.

Email PFO from MOP as well.

Just got letter from EFC. Nice to see a bit of honesty. At least they aren't persisting in the charade that others seem to be engaging in.

Is there a "coping with rejection" helpline anywhere, I wonder??!!

Email PFO from MOP as well.

Just got letter from EFC. Nice to see a bit of honesty. At least they aren't persisting in the charade that others seem to be engaging in.

Is there a "coping with rejection" helpline anywhere, I wonder??!!

Did anyone apply to Lavelle Coleman Solicitors? If so, did anyone receive anything from them?

Did apply to Lavelle Coleman but heard nothing. Frys letters of rejection and letters re interviews are out at the end of next week. Hear nothing from LKShields or BCM Hanby Wallace.

What did the Eugene F. Collins letter say??????? I'm intrigued! A re they taking on any trainees????

Stil no PFO email from MOPS:( Where the hell is it????

All this rejection is seriously depressing:(

Got my PFO email from MOPs too. another slap in the face. What did EFC letter say? it all sounds very intriguing. Congrats everyone who got interviews and offers.

i think this is the coping with rejection helpline Lawyerlygrad :)

Back