IT article: How to make housing more affordable, from VAT cuts to planning reform

Nothing there to address the actual cost of construction but the points on planning reform are important.
The big push for A rated homes has made them very expesnive when compared to exisiting stock that would be a C rating or maybe even a low B , I know a few people that find the A rating house very uncomfortable as it just gets too warm where as while they had to heat the lower rated house they had a more comfortable living environment , we dont really get extreme cold here so do we actually need to spec our new builds so high ??? And please will the Green Taliban see this in its proper perspective .

@CorkHome2022 - I'm in an A rated home for the last number of years, and don't find it uncomfortable, opposite in fact. Moving from a B3 to my current home was a huge jump in comfort levels.

Also in the area I'm in here, with lower rated homes are selling for more money (equal size homes, but larger plots) than the current build of A rated homes, so supply / demand is still dictating the prices.

The whole construction side of houses is still too labour intensive. I do wonder why we haven't embraced the modular homes more in this country.

I know a few people that find the A rating house very uncomfortable as it just gets too warm
A building over-heating is a sign of inadequate ventilation, not how well insulated or energy efficient it is.

we dont really get extreme cold here so do we actually need to spec our new builds so high ??? And please will the Green Taliban see this in its proper perspective .
The Green Taliban I love it, they're fighting the good fight against ignorance and misinformation.

@CorkHome2022 - I'm in an A rated home for the last number of years, and don't find it uncomfortable, opposite in fact. Moving from a B3 to my current home was a huge jump in comfort levels.

Also in the area I'm in here, with lower rated homes are selling for more money (equal size homes, but larger plots) than the current build of A rated homes, so supply / demand is still dictating the prices.

The whole construction side of houses is still too labour intensive. I do wonder why we haven't embraced the modular homes more in this country.
During the Celtic Tiger years a few companies had started the modular process , the big problem with Labour costs is quite simple , the workforce that was building over 50000 houses a year immigrated to greener pastures and have not returned and will not now as they discovered much better lifestyles abroad , just look at how we are struggling to build 20000 homes a year now .
Would you return from abroad with the costs of living here ???

the workforce that was building over 50000 houses a year immigrated to greener pastures
Not so much emmigration as reverse migration. For the most part, they went home.

Poland and Lithuania accounted for more than 320,000 workers who arrived in Ireland between 2004 and 2007. The bust here combined with shrinking unemployment at home and a doubling of construction pay meant they could settle and find employment at home.

Poland and Lithuania accounted for more than 320,000 workers who arrived in Ireland between 2004 and 2007. The bust here combined with shrinking unemployment at home and a doubling of construction pay meant they could settle and find employment at home.
We were never really dependent on Eastern European construction workers though. Our construction boom was almost a decade old when post-2004 accession state immigration became a significant phenomenon. From what I recall, the bulk of the new immigrants worked in the service sector and small manufacturing.

I wonder if referencing the Taliban in order to express ones disapproval will soon become subject to Godwins Law?
My problem with the Green Taliban is that they have no pragmatism and cannot/ will not look at reality.
Wind and Solar wont solve our energy needs but they will not consider nuclear but have no issue with an inter connector to France .
They want rid of petrol/diesel cars yet will not consider the work being done re carbon neutral fuels which means nobody needs to rush out and spend 40k on a car ( alot of people cant afford this ) , plus the Electricity Grid simply does not have the physical capacity for such a switch to EV .
The grid cannot supply our needs as it would melt the same way you cannot plug in 20 electrical devices to 1 socket using extension leads etc .
When the only way to get people to switch is to penalise by way of carbon taxes is proof that the Green Alternative is not the cheaper option , the vast majority of people know this which is why the Greens only got 7% of the vote last time out .
I am all in favour of ending our dependence on Russian and OPEC energy but this has to be practical and good for peoples pockets , that offends the Green Taliban .
When it comes to misinformation the new Green Industry will lie and cheat their way to profit in the very same way the oil industry has , be under no illusion about that .

Not so much emmigration as reverse migration. For the most part, they went home.

Census 2006 showed 63k people with birthplace "Poland" although there was no breakdown by Polish nationality.

By Census 2011 there were 123k people who described themselves as having Polish nationality and this was stable at 123k in 2016.

There were gross flows of course but in net terms there is no evidence that the Polish population shrank.

You don't seem to properly understand Godwin's Law.
The Hitler analogy not quite applicable here , Taliban better one , the preach a code of ethics/values from the 6th Century while driving around in a SUV armed with AK47s almost like drive the EV its CO2 free driving , its is if you subtact all the CO2 and energy that went into making it and keeping the Lithium Battery charged , fossil fuels refined for the tyres . The lack of pragmatism and acceptance of the real world is the problem .

Back