Ireland the most English country in the World

Both rugby and soccer would be more of the unionist tradition, neither gaining major nationalist interest. Rugby in Ulster would be more middle/upper class, maybe not to the same extent as South Dublin, but probably moreso than Munster (even in Munster, for all the blather, rugby is not the working mans game, certainly not in Cork and in Limerick soccer is bigger than rugby & Limerick also has the posh rugby element even if not as dominant as elsewhere).

NI soccer used to be overtly sectarian, small wonder many nationalists picked ROI. The sectarianism is being tackled/dampened and here's hoping for the future. Why soccer could be a great hope as an integrator is a) everyone follows it and plays it (schoolyard setting), b) easy game to play, c) no major equipment or technical training needed to play it safely and crucially d) its getting to where it's needed at the working class/ordinary folk level. The main challenge would be not re-creating Celtic v Rangers at every local level. At kids level you might deal with it by 'pick n mix' games but obv there would need to be the will on both sides and it would effectively mean a series of friendlies instead of a league. Mixed Education and soccer could get neighbours mingling but TINI (this is NI).....

In order to break down barriers some sweetners need to be delivered.
Irish soccer needs serious investment and a total overhaul. Clubs are surviving hand to mouth, stadiums are basic, attendances are poor.

I think Niall Quinn was fishing around for some investors a few years back but to no avail.

A new Irish (whole of) League formatted with two Divisions as per MLS in US, new comfortable modern 4- 8,000 capacity stadia, more TV coverage, better wages for players attracting higher quality, fanfare, etc.

The money is out there, somewhere, it justs needs convincing that there is a sustainable product here.

Both rugby and soccer would be more of the unionist tradition, neither gaining major nationalist interest. Rugby in Ulster would be more middle/upper class, maybe not to the same extent as South Dublin, but probably moreso than Munster (even in Munster, for all the blather, rugby is not the working mans game, certainly not in Cork and in Limerick soccer is bigger than rugby & Limerick also has the posh rugby element even if not as dominant as elsewhere).
ALl true but the game in Leinster is far more accessible to everyone than it was 10-20 years ago. I went to a GAA school and never player rugby but I, like many of my friends who also never played rugby, have a keen interest in it (in my case because of Munster supporting friends bringing me to matches in the bad old days when Munster hammered Leinster regularly). Now most of the Leinster players are not from the D4 stereotypical background and the game is better for it (it also helps when they end up in the Munster and Ulster squad).

I like the fact that the Ulster players stand respectfully when our National Anthem is played. I also like the fact that during the Troubles when nobody else would play here the English team always came.

There are no first language Gaelic speakers in Wales except perhaps some Immigrants or holiday makers.
I know Welsh people who say that Welsh is a Gaelic language. Irish and Welsh are both Celtic languages, along with Scottish, Cornish and Breton.

Back