Interesting Use Cases and News about Cryptos/Blockchain Technology

Negotiator

I'm going to post any interesting articles or use cases here that I come across. Post the link to your source if possible and please refrain from discussing Crypto price speculation as I want to focus on the use case and technology side of things here.

https://www.coindesk.com/intel-thinks-blockchain-power-next-generation-media-manager/

Intel sees potential opportunities in copyright protection using timestamps.

"Blockchain technology is used to document and verify attributes of digital content that are relevant to copyright protection. Such attributes may include, for instance, an identifier for the author of the content, a timestamp to indicate when the content was created, and a measurement that can subsequently be used to detect copying or modification of the content."

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/cointel...uct-first-blockchain-property-transaction/amp

"Even though according to the WSJ the Lantmäteriet already functions in a “highly digitized and paperless” system, the time from signing a contract to registering a sale can take between three to six months.

With the Blockchain system, “it could be hours,”Jörgen Modin, chief solutions architect at ChromaWay, tells the WSJ. Modin added that the buyer and seller don’t even have to be located in the country for the deal to go through"

Sweden seems to be very proactive with regards Cryptos and Blockchain. They are even looking for companies to put forward proposals on creating a national cryptocurrency!

https://www.coindesk.com/intel-thinks-blockchain-power-next-generation-media-manager/

Intel sees potential opportunities in copyright protection using timestamps.

"Blockchain technology is used to document and verify attributes of digital content that are relevant to copyright protection. Such attributes may include, for instance, an identifier for the author of the content, a timestamp to indicate when the content was created, and a measurement that can subsequently be used to detect copying or modification of the content."

Let me get this straight, is what is being said here is that effectively blockchain could be used to eliminate copyright disputes? That to all intents and purposes there could be a time when there is no requirement to copyright anything as long as the creator of something records it on a blockchain?

For example, if I am a musician, and I write a particular piece of music, or riff, that subsequently appears on a hit song that makes a wad of cash for some record company and gives a platform to someone else to launch a sucessful career on the back of my work, then using blockchain technology I would be able to prove the origins of that music to be mine without the cost of a lengthy court battle where a big record company could crush me with legal challenges and costs?

Or am I totally reading that wrong?

I'm going to post any interesting articles or use cases here that I come across. Post the link to your source if possible and please refrain from discussing Crypto price speculation as I want to focus on the use case and technology side of things here.
Will some kind moderator please move this thread to Don't Askaboutmoney.

Yes that's how I read it Shortie. It gives undisputable proof by way of a timestamp. I would imagine it could apply to trademarks even more so.

[broken link removed]

"Blockchain technology is being used in the medical industry to help patients take full control of their healthcare records as well as provide access to flexible telemedicine services. Patients can even pay in cryptocurrency.

Medicalchain, a blockchain platform that enables the transparent exchange of medical records by patients and doctors, has partnered with London based The Groves Medical Group to pilot a blockchain programme in its four medical centres.

The pilot is the first application for Medicalchain’s platform and will commence in July 2018. The pilot will allow Medicalchain to gather feedback from doctors and patients, which they will use to refine the programme before its global launch.

Groves’ registered patients will be able to create a free wallet, which will hold and manage access to their health records. GP video consultations will also be available to patients, offering the flexibility to see their doctor at a time and place suited to their needs. The medical group supports 30,000 registered patients and 1,000 private patient families.

The platform will then give patients the option to pay for services using cryptocurrency, with users being incentivised to pay for telemedicine services with Medicalchain’s MedTokens."

Think about how this could be used if you were abroad and you had a Medical emergency and the hospital could get instant access to your entire medical history.....could save your life!

Here is Elizabeth Stark from Lightening Labs that I mentioned elsewhere. She talks for 15mins. Im not sure if I follow everything she says but common sense would suggest that she at least knows what she is talking about.

So between her and Paul Krugman, when it comes to blockchain and cryptos, im inclined to pay more attention to her.
But thats just my take.

Think about how this could be used if you were abroad and you had a Medical emergency and the hospital could get instant access to your entire medical history.....could save your life!

Even more so now that lots more people are more mobile in their jobs, moving to different countries and cities. I can see how this would be very useful for a lot of people.

Here is Elizabeth Stark from Lightening Labs that I mentioned elsewhere. She talks for 15mins. Im not sure if I follow everything she says but common sense would suggest that she at least knows what she is talking about.

So between her and Paul Krugman, when it comes to blockchain and cryptos, im inclined to pay more attention to her.
But thats just my take.

Interesting insights into the future of Lightening Network. I like the idea of multi-chains/crosschains using the Lightening Network as it opens up a lot of new possibilities for collaboration between companies. Perhaps an example might be how you could trade your Tecso Loyalty Tokens for Ryaniar Air Mile Tokens via the Lightening Network. I also wonder if it's possible if 2 exchanges open up a payment channel on the Lightening Network, could they then trade all their tokens between each other instantly and for zero fees (again using multi-chains/crosschains).

Ivan on Tech (one of my favourites for learning the technical details in simple terms) covers a bit about the Lightening Network too. He's worth keeping an eye on on YouTube if you don't already follow him. https://www.youtube.com/user/LiljeqvistIvan

Even more so now that lots more people are more mobile in their jobs, moving to different countries and cities. I can see how this would be very useful for a lot of people.

Exactly, Millenials are expected to travel to dozens and dozens of countries in their lifetimes and it will only increase. Not to mention medical tourism which is an industry that is exploding due to high cost of healthcare in the western world and we all know where that's headed! :eek:

I am afraid in this case i will have to disagree with you. Currently lightning network does not have a routing algo that can guarantee your transaction can complete.

I am an old technologist and simplicity is very important to me. Bitcoin decided to go towards making something very complex that can’t actually work. I am more for onchain scaling but a healthy competition is ensured by the many coins that are currently experimenting with scaling solutions

Currently lightning network does not have a routing algo that can guarantee your transaction can complete

Do you think this issue will be overcome Gus or is it too big a problem to crack? I am not a software engineer so have no clue about the inner technical details of this but I would have faith in the engineers working towards a solution. I agree though that there is an abundance of competing technologies that will ensure some really good solutions emerge eventually.

Do you think this issue will be overcome Gus or is it too big a problem to crack? I am not a software engineer so have no clue about the inner technical details of this but I would have faith in the engineers working towards a solution

I am not 100% sure. I have liquidated 30% of my btc into bch monero and zcash for this reason early in the year when it became apparent that the scaling debate was over and the forever 1mb people had won.

Routing is a very complex problem (that bitcoin does not have) but that is introduced by lightning. It could work if we had mega hubs with million of channels but this would mean a government could disrupt everything by taking down one or 2 of them

I am not 100% sure. I have liquidated 30% of my btc into bch monero and zcash for this reason early in the year when it became apparent that the scaling debate was over and the forever 1mb people had won.

Routing is a very complex problem (that bitcoin does not have) but that is introduced by lightning. It could work if we had mega hubs with million of channels but this would mean a government could disrupt everything by taking down one or 2 of them

Does Segwit not help with the scaling issue and lightening network somewhat? Although I think it's only running at about 30% of transactions currently.

By the way I'm not a Bitcoin maximalist at all.....quote the opposite as I believe new cryptos have the advantage of building better tech!

I am afraid in this case i will have to disagree with you. Currently lightning network does not have a routing algo that can guarantee your transaction can complete.
Hi Gus1970. I have an interest in tech but i'm not a technologist per se. Can you clarify why Lighnting Network won't offer a solution to the scaling problem in laymans terms?

https://www.coindesk.com/peter-thiel-bitcoin-will-one-online-equivalent-gold/

"Peter Thiel has once again endorsed bitcoin, which he recently argued is tantamount to digital gold.

And much like gold, the billionaire co-founder of PayPal conjectures that the cryptocurrency is destined to be a store of value rather than a means of payment.

"It's like bars of gold in a vault that never move," he told a CNBC reporter during a conversation at the Economic Club of New York last week, adding:

"It's sort of hedge of sorts against the whole world falling apart."

He also struck a bullish tone on bitcoin in particular - versus other cryptocurrencies - suggesting that the largest cryptocurrency by market capitalization will maintain its position.

"There will be one online equivalent to gold," he reportedly claimed, "and the one you'd bet on would be the biggest."

Despite his prediction, Thiel did not express complete confidence in bitcoin, and speculated that there is a 50 to 80 percent chance that it will have no value in the future. Nonetheless, he also noted that on the flip side, there is a 20 to 50 percent chance that it will increase in value.

"Probability weighted, it's good," he told CNBC.

Thiel's investments suggest he may be even more bullish on bitcoin than he lets on. As previously reported by CoinDesk in January, Founders Fund, of which Thiel is the co-founder, recently purchased between $15 million to $20 million worth of bitcoin across several of its funds.

He has also publicly stated that he believes critics are "underestimating" the cryptocurrency."

Hard to argue with a Billionaire who has a track record in fintech!

Despite his prediction, Thiel did not express complete confidence in bitcoin, and speculated that there is a 50 to 80 percent chance that it will have no value in the future. Nonetheless, he also noted that on the flip side, there is a 20 to 50 percent chance that it will increase in value.

"Probability weighted, it's good," he told CNBC.

Hard to argue with a Billionaire who has a track record in fintech!

Hard to argue with that logic alright. So basically he is suggesting that people should invest in a product where there is up to an 50-80% chance that it is worth nothing but there is a 20-50% chance it will be worth something (the variables can't be 'no value' and 'increase in value') because probability weighted, it is good.....Wow. Remind me not to invest in paypal anytime soon.

Back