If a roofer or builder calls to you door on spec...

cbreeze

Frequent Poster
The Gardai have a little card with their logo on it to hand out to anyone who calls to the door - it asks the caller to put their contact details on the card, and if required, they will receive a call back.

Genuine builders these days are like hen's teeth, and if you get one, don't give his/her number to your best friend!

Brendan Burgess

Founder
Hi cbreeze

That is a very interesting idea.

Do you have a copy of the card you could upload to Askaboutmoney?

Would my local station have one?

Brendan

michaelm

Frequent Poster
I have a policy that I don't buy, give or sign anything at my door. I would never employ an 'on spec' caller, only someone I actively seek out.

noproblem

Frequent Poster
The TV licence inspectors must have an awful job of it when no one is answering the knock on their doors.

noproblem

Frequent Poster
Funny you should say that. I've had them call even though it was paid and know plenty of others that it has happened to as well. I also know a few who have never paid a licence and never will and won't answer the door to anyone they don't know. Hence my observation in the original post.

Metatron

Unless sought out, tell the caller to the door, in a nice way, that you don’t require his service.

Max Weber

Old rule of thumb: if you need your roof fixed, you have to go and seek the repair man himself. He is not going to magically appear at your door.

If he does, it is a scam.

janeferguson

Hi cbreeze

That is a very interesting idea.

Do you have a copy of the card you could upload to Askaboutmoney?

Would my local station have one?

Brendan
I think this is it

I once asked a guy for his landline phone number. He went to the van to get it but never came back.

Last edited: