If a roofer or builder calls to you door on spec...

cbreeze

The Gardai have a little card with their logo on it to hand out to anyone who calls to the door - it asks the caller to put their contact details on the card, and if required, they will receive a call back.

Genuine builders these days are like hen's teeth, and if you get one, don't give his/her number to your best friend!

Hi cbreeze

That is a very interesting idea.

Do you have a copy of the card you could upload to Askaboutmoney?

Would my local station have one?

Brendan

The TV licence inspectors must have an awful job of it when no one is answering the knock on their doors.

Funny you should say that. I've had them call even though it was paid and know plenty of others that it has happened to as well. I also know a few who have never paid a licence and never will and won't answer the door to anyone they don't know. Hence my observation in the original post.

Unless sought out, tell the caller to the door, in a nice way, that you don’t require his service.

Old rule of thumb: if you need your roof fixed, you have to go and seek the repair man himself. He is not going to magically appear at your door.

If he does, it is a scam.

Hi cbreeze

That is a very interesting idea.

Do you have a copy of the card you could upload to Askaboutmoney?

Would my local station have one?

Brendan

I think this is it

I once asked a guy for his landline phone number. He went to the van to get it but never came back.

Last edited:
When I was 5, we lived on the "beat" of Jehovah's Witnesses. My older siblings trained me to open the door to them and when they asked if my mummy or daddy was in, to reply sweetly, "I'm very sorry, but we've just sacrificed them." They stopped calling after that. I've trained my very sweet-looking kids to deal with cold callers in a similar way.

Funny you should say that. I've had them call even though it was paid and know plenty of others that it has happened to as well. I also know a few who have never paid a licence and never will and won't answer the door to anyone they don't know. Hence my observation in the original post.
I had the TV stored away and they still made me pay because I had an aerial up

We are not the target for these guys. They will knock on 2000 doors a day till some OAP or vulnerable person answers, thats who they are targeting.

When I was 5, we lived on the "beat" of Jehovah's Witnesses. My older siblings trained me to open the door to them and when they asked if my mummy or daddy was in, to reply sweetly, "I'm very sorry, but we've just sacrificed them." They stopped calling after that. I've trained my very sweet-looking kids to deal with cold callers in a similar way.
at least you know one of them is not going to sneak into the back door or damage your property. It is unfare to class them as rough traders. They are only looking at your well being.

Is there anything to be said for making cold calling an offence? When a company can be fined large sums for sending an email or phoning unsolicited, it seems perverse they can pay somebody to knock on your door repeatedly.

Not only would it stop people like me getting irritated by these callers, it would help vulnerable people identify illegitimate visitors - it would be anybody you don’t know.

comment seems to have got out of context, this was about the post office TV license
You should have contested. An aerial by itself isn't a wireless telegraph set by itself, as it is incapable of wireless tuning.
An aerial can be formed as you may remember a piece of wire hanging off your clock radio or indeed a coat hanger jacked into your coax telly input, if available

A good way to avoid a certain type of roofer is to enter the advertised mobile number on google.

I was (still am) looking to get a small repair on a roof of a house in Tipperary. Thought I found a local company that had great reviews. Something told me to double check and I entered the mobile number into google and up came about 20 results.

Roofer in Dublin, Roofing company in cork, Limerick, Galway, driveway companies in various places and the different websites had very similar reviews. All with same mobile.

I've decide to heed my own advice and I'll pop into a local real hardware store, buy a few things I need and ask for their recommendation.

Back