I have no sympathy whatsoever with those "spoiled brat" taxi drivers.

Well as they say in london, they have the "knowledge".The black cab drivers there have to do exams so they have a very good knowledge of all the areas and routes...takes them about 4 years going around in a scooter.
There needs to be some regulation in Dublin etc for taxis. The drivers should have some basic training and testing, cars need to be of a certain standard.

Why weren't those cars left sitting in the middle of O'Connell St. yesterday towed away and clamped?

Or have taken it up as a second job.
This was mentioned as an issue by one of the taxi guys this morning. Drivers that have full time jobs and then are going out cherry picking and working the busy nights.

Tell this to many a person who cant get a taxi when there is a big rugby / football game playing. They want it every which way, well tough, get with the real world.

I'd love to know why the Gardai were facilitating this protest, I work on Fitzwilliam Square, but couldn't access pembroke street as it was closed last evening.

1-why are taxis allowed to close major traffic routes
2-how come they can park their cars without paying the required fees and not get clamped

I have no sympathy whatsoever with those "spoiled brat" taxi drivers.

Customers have very very long memories and I for one will never forget queuing for hours on St Stephens Green for taxis in the 80's and 90's. I commend the government ministers who burst up this cosy cartel.
While I don't have much sympathy either, I think your ire is misdirected. There were only 3,000 drivers in Dublin in the 80s and 90s, so most of today's drivers weren't driving back then. In fact, the smart drivers from the 80s and 90s sold their places for £80k in the years running up to deregulation, and left some other sucker with the big loan to pay off.

While I don't have much sympathy either, I think your ire is misdirected. There were only 3,000 drivers in Dublin in the 80s and 90s, so most of today's drivers weren't driving back then. In fact, the smart drivers from the 80s and 90s sold their places for £80k in the years running up to deregulation, and left some other sucker with the big loan to pay off.

Some also bought bank shares in the heady days of the Celtic tiger. Some sold AIB shares at €24 a pop, leaving some other suckers with shares now worth €1.

I have some sympathy with anyone who has lost big money, but that's the way things are. We make choices and we have to take responsiblity for those choices in a free country. Caveat Emptor.

Well as they say in london, they have the "knowledge".The black cab drivers there have to do exams so they have a very good knowledge of all the areas and routes...takes them about 4 years going around in a scooter.
There needs to be some regulation in Dublin etc for taxis. The drivers should have some basic training and testing, cars need to be of a certain standard.
Taxis should be the same bright colour, have their rooftop lights on/off to show if they are for hire or not, be of minimum size and be in good nick. Too many cabs winging it with one headlight gone. In London any defects like this would have it parked up. A minimum float should be a must.

There is a huge oversupply at the moment in Dublin. This does cause severe problems for the everybody and not just taxis.

• Taxis are still very expensive
  • There are severe traffic jams on Friday and Saturday nights
  • There are a lot of taxis forced to wait illegally outside pubs at night(if they wait at the rank, they won't get any fares)
  • There are a lot of taxis waiting in loading bays during the day
I would reduce the fares by 30%.
I would reduce the number of taxis.

This would suit the customers as it would be a lot cheaper
This would suit the remaining taxi drivers as they would actually earn more money as they would be much busier.

To reduce the number of taxis, I would bring in a very strict monitoring and points system. They would get special taxi points for illegal parking and massive points for overcharging - effectively a lifetime ban.

Every 6 months, just clear out the 5% with the highest accumulated points.

They would get positive points for special larger vehicles and disabled drivers vehicles.

New entrants would still be allowed in but only if they have very good cars.

There is a huge oversupply at the moment in Dublin. This does cause severe problems for the everybody and not just taxis.
If there is "huge oversupply" of taxis in Dublin at the moment could you estimate/quantify the level of over supply?

Apart from the taxi drivers (and I accept that they are not all boorish louts) what are the problems casused by the supposed "oversupply"?

Taxis are still very expensive
The prices are set by the taxi regulator and do not relate to the normal supply/demand dynamic.

There are severe traffic jams on Friday and Saturday nights
There are a lot of taxis forced to wait illegally outside pubs at night(if they wait at the rank, they won't get any fares)There are a lot of taxis waiting in loading bays during the day
Provision of adequate ranks would solve this problem.

I would reduce the fares by 30%.
I would reduce the number of taxis.
Maybe Im missing something but what problem will these actions address?

To reduce the number of taxis, I would bring in a very strict monitoring and points system. They would get special taxi points for illegal parking and massive points for overcharging - effectively a lifetime ban.

Every 6 months, just clear out the 5% with the highest accumulated points.

They would get positive points for special larger vehicles and disabled drivers vehicles.

New entrants would still be allowed in but only if they have very good cars.

Another unwanted quango consuming scarce resources :)!

Apart from the taxi drivers (and I accept that they are not all boorish louts) what are the problems casused by the supposed "oversupply"?

There are traffic jams in Dublin on Thursday, Friday and Saturday nights caused by taxis continuously circling in a long snake. You really would have to see it to believe it.

They park illegally - I don't really blame them. There is no space and there are no customers at the ranks.

Provision of adequate ranks would solve this problem.
There would not be space for all the taxis.

Maybe Im missing something but what problem will these actions address?

I would guess that taxis in Dublin are busy with fares around 20% of the time. It would be far better to have fewer taxis busy 50% of the time. They could then reduce their prices.

With any business, the natural course of action where there is oversupply is that people would give up being taxi drivers.
Taxi drivers can reduce prices or have better vehicles or do better deals to attract customers.

The last thing we need is yet more government intervention.

The last thing we need is yet more government intervention.

I disagree. Government intervention is required for taxis..otherwise tourists would be ripped off at the airports where taxi drivers could charge what they like. I like what they have in NY. The max fare is something like 50 dollars to anywhere in Manhattan.

I think the current price regulated by the regulator should become the max price and all taxis could charge less that this if they wanted. The price per mile should be easily displayed. This means that a taxi with an old car who can't/won't upgrade can charge a lower far to attract the business

+1. A profession usually requires difficult examinations, coupled with defined experience requirements, controlled by an institute/body which also limits entrants, such as the Institute of Chartered Accountants etc
I think I've more respect for the taxi drivers!
I think the current price regulated by the regulator should become the max price and all taxis could charge less that this if they wanted. The price per mile should be easily displayed. This means that a taxi with an old car who can't/won't upgrade can charge a lower far to attract the business
Taxis can and do offer discounts.
http://www.8202020.ie/

Why does anything have to be done. The law of supply and demand will mean those not making the money will have to give up.

I too will never forget trying to get a taxi many moons ago in O' Connell street at night. We had to wait two hours with no coats and it was freezing. It was a long time before I'd go to Dublin for the weekend after that. Surely nobody wants a return to that.

In relation to fares, there has to be regulation but it should be a max fare system and the taxi driver can charge anything under that if he wants to. I much preferred it when there were hackney drivers with set prices from a to b so you always knew how much it would cost you and you didn't have to worry about getting a city tour and prices to match.

Back