How many days holidays?

Good Friday is a bank holiday but not a public holiday so we get that off also.
Seems to be a tradition in that sector I think

Banks never open on Good Friday but lots of other businesses do
Hey, I'm not complaining!

I get 31 plus 3 concessions days. I can also avail of flexi but never get the chance - I do take some toil but not all I work.

I'm now off for 4 weeks and have 9 days to use by end of March 2011.

It's interesting how some people say :

25 days + 1 day at Easter + 2 concession day + days at Christmas (my reckoning is that that makes 30days holidays)

Others say 21 days (but 4 days must be taken over Christmas).....does that mean they actually have 17 + 4 at Christmas?

Not all companies close at Christmas so people mean that they are forced to take days from their holidays at Christmas time.

21 days will be it and Christmas needs to come out of this 21 days.

so yes 17+4 (assuming you need to take 4)

Are the people who get 30+ holidays generally in the state or semi state?

Is there people on this forum working in private companies getting 30+ days?

Niallers, fully aware of what it means to have to take the hols 'cos the factory/office/site is closed.

I'm just observing that some people don't seem to include the days they are getting at Xmas or Easter as part of their hols .

I know plenty of people who have to take x number of days due to closure, and they include these days as part of their overall hols (which they are).

You make a valid point, sam_h, but I assume people are reflecting the language that is used on their workplace.

You are entitled to 20 vacation days per year. Your employer is entitled to insist that you take some of these during a closedown at Christmas, I assume that companies that do this, do not want to say " you get 16 days vacation + the Christmas closedown" as this sound worse than "You get 20 days vacation ( BTW, you have to take 4 of these at Christmas").

Niallers - the only people I have ever heard of in Ireland who get 30+ vacation days work in the public sector, or in universities, or in sem-istate companies.

If anyone knows of an exception to this, let us know.

..reflecting the language that is used on their workplace.

Years ago (early 90s) I was in college with someone who worked with First National BS. Accoring to him, taking up to 20 days sick leave was the norm.

If you wanted a day off, in addition to your annual leave allowance, you just phoned in and said you were taking a sick day - no effort was made to pretend to be unwell.

According to him it was the norm, and whenever he need more time to have something ready for college, he just took one of these days.

That was then.

Presumably some of the 70 days is used in setting exams/marking exams/setting coursework for the coming year?

I wondered how long it would take for someone to respond to Protocol's posting. Seven minutes..........is this a record?

27 days but have to take one of those on Good Friday and one on the day after Stephens Day as my clients are closed. Also work a number of bank holidays for which I get a day in lieu. Have some flexi time options as well if I need to do something in the morning, I can do a 2-10 shift for the day which is handy.

Have had to cancel my leave this month for various reason so it looks like I've got around 3 weeks to take between here and year end. Roll on !!

A slight twist to the thread but any self-employed on AAM care to pitch in what holidays they give themselves? I generally try and take 20 days + public hols + Christmas ( which varies depending on when it falls in the week, usually from day before Christmas Eve to first working day after new years day.)

21 days of which 4 must be taken at christmas and 10 at particular time in the summer for shutdown... only leaves 7 days for rest of the year :(. its a good company for most other things except for the holidays. then again, its an american based company and head office thinks we have way too many holidays.

A slight twist to the thread but any self-employed on AAM care to pitch in what holidays they give themselves?

Mrs Purple is self employed and she took 6 weeks off last year.
She did have a baby during that time but still, six weeks did seem excessive.

Come to think of it she also took 3 days at Christmas as well.

A slight twist to the thread but any self-employed on AAM care to pitch in what holidays they give themselves? I generally try and take 20 days + public hols + Christmas ( which varies depending on when it falls in the week, usually from day before Christmas Eve to first working day after new years day.)

It depends really for me. Haven't taken 2 weeks off together for a few years, but take the odd day here and there. I would say I take about 20 days a year but that would include Xmas and bank hols as I don't get paid for these.

29 days. Have to take some off at certain times of year e.g. Christmas and Easter. Have never used my full allocation - very few people do where I work - usually end up with 20-25 days actually taken.

30 days.

Still have 19 left to take before end of March. Will be doing well to take 10.

20 days in my contract but nobody checks this, I dont have to fill out holiday forms, my boss is overseas and our office is in the USA. I was told to take as much time off as I need, the flipside is I work 60+ hours most weeks.

Taken 10 days in 2010, but worked some of those at home. Our US guys get 15 days PTO Paid Time Off including sick days.

Mrs Purple is self employed and she took 6 weeks off last year.
She did have a baby during that time but still, six weeks did seem excessive.

Come to think of it she also took 3 days at Christmas as well.

Could she not have given herself a sick note and taken more ? ;)

Back