Home made pizza sticking to non stick tray

Paulsgirl

Wondering if anyone has any suggestions on this.

I make my own pizza's and when I put them on a non-stick tray in the oven (just an ordinary baking tray), they stick so much that they're almost impossible to get off the tray without breaking the pizza base.

I can't really use a pizza tray as they have holes in them and the topping on the homemade pizza's usually fall over the sides a bit during cooking.

Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions. Thanks.

Sprinkle of flour on the tray ? Always worked for me mammy when she used to bake brown bread....god them were the days

Well said Pique318. Just exactly as my mother and grandmother did. Your last line sounded like Mary Hopkin

Do yourself a favour, get yourself a Pizza stone. They're the business. Only about €15. Make your pizza, have the stone heating in the oven while you do it so it's piping hot (max oven temp), then slide ur pizza onto it in the oven. 10 mins and its cooked. No need for flour, grease paper anything. Next best thing apart from a proper open oven!

Sounds great, where do they stock them?

You can buy them on Ebay too if you can't find anywhere to buy them locally. They really are a great idea, also sprinkle a little semolina flour onto the peel before you roll them in.

I would think you aren't putting enough flour on the base, ie the bottom of the base where its touching the tray

I got my Pizza Stone in Arnotts, think it was about €20, but money well spent. Keeps the pizza warm for ages after you take it out of the oven too!!

You can buy them on Ebay too if you can't find anywhere to buy them locally. They really are a great idea, also sprinkle a little semolina flour onto the peel before you roll them in.

Thanks for that tip, that would provide that nice little crunchy finish you get on some bases? the home made option makes you feel less guilty about eating Pizza as a dinner staple lol.

Thats great. Will definitely look into those Pizza Stones and also will try a little extra flour on the base in the meantime. Thanks for your help. How I love my home made pizza's.

As a previous post says a little semolina does the job on the stone...but the bottom of the base of the pizza should have enough semolina on it anyway. They have them on ebay, but they're heavy (€ for postage). I got mine in TKMaxx...nice big 20 inch one...just fits in the oven! (The thinner the base, the easier it is to get a nice crispy base). You should get a peel also, as mentioned above...makes it so much easier to slide the pizza into the oven & onto the stone...and getting it out is a breeze too!

I think we ordered from these guys, you can get the exact dimensions for your oven which is great:
[broken link removed]

If I remember correctly it did cost about 80-100 euro to get 2 delivered but they are so well worth the money. You can make bread on them too and the heated stone really improves the cooking process. Best of luck

I make most of my bread in a breadmaker but need to advance a bit to the oven after I've perfected the pizza's.

Just on the pizza stone. I've seen some advertised with metal handles, this would be very handy indeed.

Do most come with a kind of holder on them or just the stone? Will check in Arnotts at the weekend but just wondering if anyone has one of these in the meantime.

Most are just the stone. You stick the stone in before making the pizza, heat it and oven up at max temp. When you've the pizza ready to put in, that's where a peel is handy...just slide it straight into the oven & onto the stone...no need to take the stone out when its super hot...therefore no need for metal handles!

A pizza peel! The shovel like thingy you see them use in (good) restaurants to slide the pizza into and out of the oven. You can get ones with shorter handles for home use.

They look great! Have just started making our own pizza dough and I have to say we'll never go back to bought pizzas. Might have to invest in a good solid German pizza stone...