Have permission but cannot get it in writing to wrap front of house?Anyone help please

billmurray

Have permission but not in writing to wrap front of house via sesystems externally with installation.Back and sides are fully done now but contractor's need planning permission to do the front,which im having trouble getting,because it may look different to other houses on estate even though there are other houses already done.This makes no sense to me.....House is fully owned for 40 years now....All councilor's say no problem in person but for some reason will not do it in writing..Going around in circles.....Have applied for section 5 exception and no good it will do im being told...Cork county hall make all these decisions but im in the dark as to what to do

Its the original surveyor of house that want this PP-House is semi-D and in an estate

Its being done under SEAI warmer home scheme

I can paint the house pink tomorrow if if i wish so this makes no sense to me

Anyone in the same situation or can offer advice?

Ask contractor to cite relevant legislation; and if they can't, get another contractor.

If they cant cite the legislation, I think yr contractor is talking through their hat.

And any way whats it to the contractor? Its not their concern.

I understand from the same query on boards that the red brick front of the house is the issue - if insulated\rendered, it changes the look of the house compared with others in the estate.

A neighbour wrapped their house externally we are red brick fronted and they did not have permission. A complaint was received and they had communications with enforcement and had to add a brick type finish to the front of the house. This was recounted by the neighbour to me they could not find out who made the complain it was Dublin City Council FYI. It has since be remedially rectified and the brick looks slightly different but not too bad at all.

Can you explain why a Section 5 exemption is no use? It would appear to be exactly what you need in this case. Unless, that is, the Section 5 decision is that you are not exempt from planning permission.

I understand from the same query on boards that the red brick front of the house is the issue - if insulated\rendered, it changes the look of the house compared with others in the estate.
No red brick no....but brick yes

A neighbour wrapped their house externally we are red brick fronted and they did not have permission. A complaint was received and they had communications with enforcement and had to add a brick type finish to the front of the house. This was recounted by the neighbour to me they could not find out who made the complain it was Dublin City Council FYI. It has since be remedially rectified and the brick looks slightly different but not too bad at all.
This is exactly what im afraid of
Can you explain why a Section 5 exemption is no use? It would appear to be exactly what you need in this case. Unless, that is, the Section 5 decision is that you are not exempt from planning permission.
This is it,going into the job contractors said we would very more than likely need no permission as we are exempt.....now it seems we are not exempt even with a section 5 but waiting to talk to someone else in the council soon on this very subject

This is it,going into the job contractors said we would very more than likely need no permission as we are exempt.....now it seems we are not exempt even with a section 5 but waiting to talk to someone else in the council soon on this very subject
Just be clear about what a Section 5 letter is about. It requires the council to answer two questions:
1. Is this development? And if it is development 2. Is this exempt development?

So when you say "we are not exempt even with a Section 5", do you mean you made a Section 5 application and the council determined this was not exempt development or do you mean something else?

As long as you do not significantly alter the appearance of the home you do not need planning. I've done it without planning, as have around a third of my neighbours and the only difference on the outside is a flat finish as opposed to pebble dash. Brick finish may be different, only the council can advise

Just be clear about what a Section 5 letter is about. It requires the council to answer two questions:
1. Is this development? And if it is development 2. Is this exempt development?

So when you say "we are not exempt even with a Section 5", do you mean you made a Section 5 application and the council determined this was not exempt development or do you mean something else?
Was speaking to a cork council chap and he's sending a map pack for me to fill in and he thinks there should be no problem's after that, finally maybe a bit of light at the end of the tunnel,was told not except even with section 5 by one person in CCC but just now was speaking to another fella who sending this map pack.......Every person i talk to has told me different things
As long as you do not significantly alter the appearance of the home you do not need planning. I've done it without planning, as have around a third of my neighbours and the only difference on the outside is a flat finish as opposed to pebble dash. Brick finish may be different, only the council can advise
Did you need a section 5 all no?Thats mad because your in the same boat as me

I'm still of the frame of mind, that its not the contractors responsibility, so I dont see why they are holding up the job.

Was speaking to a cork council chap and he's sending a map pack for me to fill in and he thinks there should be no problem's after that, finally maybe a bit of light at the end of the tunnel,was told not except even with section 5 by one person in CCC but just now was speaking to another fella who sending this map pack.......Every person i talk to has told me different things

Did you need a section 5 all no?Thats mad because your in the same boat as me
Most people don't need planning. It never even crossed our minds to ask for planning and we talked to a number of providers, including one of those single shops who do it all and it never ever came up

I'm still of the frame of mind, that its not the contractors responsibility, so I dont see why they are holding up the job.
The SEAI installation standards state all works must be compliant with all regs, including planning. I hadn't heard of a contractor pushing that before, but it's good to see.

Last edited:
Thanks for all replies i had too put in hand drawn sketches and fill out numerous forms up in CCC in person after i received my map pack.So so much red tape needed for my own small dwelling......hopefully that's the end of it and work can resume

How did you get on with this? Did the Section 5 declaration state the works were exempted development?

Back