Has anyone in Ireland been notified their UK bank account is being closed?

Ulster Bank in Newry is your best bet for such sterling receipts.

If that is not available any longer, then Revolut would be a good option. You can get them lodged to your Revolut account in sterling and changed immediately into euro at a much cheaper rate than the pillar banks
Brendan

My brother's accountant came up with a possible good workaround. Make someone who is still resident in the UK a joint account holder. Then the account cannot be closed.
No need to make them joint account holder. Just ask them if you can use their address and give it to the bank and everything should be OK.

No need to make them joint account holder. Just ask them if you can use their address and give it to the bank and everything should be OK.
The UK banks have actually got much stricter about changing addresses I believe - must be able to show a utility bill, electoral register, local tax payment etc. to change an account address within the UK. Which I think is a good thing. Certainly when I spoke to Barclays a year ago in relation to another family member's UK account address, it had definitely got a lot more complex. Revolut (Brendan's suggestion above) is also a good idea, but I am not sure if the DWP would pay a UK state pension into Revolut? Has anyone managed that?

UK have my UK pension paid into my BOI account, I assume this will not be affected?

Back