Has anyone in Ireland been notified their UK bank account is being closed?

Hooverfish

NB most coverage of this is in right wing UK papers - I wonder why?
But Ireland's not mentioned that I've seen.
Apparently NatWest and Santander haven't sent out any letters but are "considering their options". Barclays and Lloyds have.

You will find a comprehensive report on it on the right wing BBC programme here

Brendan, thanks for the link - we heard that programme last night as well. My (secondary) point was more, why isn't it being covered in, eg the Guardian, who would have more interest in making a political point of the story. I am unsure why you're having a go at me? It was the case that this was covered in the Mail, Sun, Telegraph not the Independent, Guardian, Eye etc. - you can see that if you Google for it.

My primary point was that I didn't see any mention of Ireland in any of the coverage, so I was wondering if it might be covered under the bilateral agreement and not happening here... Probably not, but just checking in had anyone received letters as continental addresses have been receiving them?

Best wishes

I am unsure why you're having a go at me? It was the case that this was covered in the Mail, Sun, Telegraph not the Independent, Guardian, Eye etc. - you can see that if you Google for it.

Not having a go at all. You asked a question:

And I answered it.

You are seeing bias in the newspapers on this issue which is just not there.

Brendan

My primary point was that I didn't see any mention of Ireland in any of the coverage, so I was wondering if it might be covered under the bilateral agreement and not happening here... Probably not, but just checking in had anyone received letters as continental addresses have been receiving them?

Ireland is mentioned in the Mail article you linked in the OP. As a British expat in Ireland with a Lloyds account this was news to me though. Best look into it.

But Ireland's not mentioned that I've seen.
Apparently NatWest and Santander haven't sent out any letters but are "considering their options". Barclays and Lloyds have.
It's in the guardian now.

No word ( yet) from my UK bank. Fingers crossed Irish based a/c holders will be spared. Is this a possibility?

PS I'm not a "Briton" as per Guardian headline. Irish but took a/c out when I lived there many years ago.

What is the story?

A British bank is not able to provide banking services in Spain unless they set up an operation there?
So it won't be worthwhile for all British banks to set up operations in Spain.
A few will do.

I have an account with Ulster Bank in Newry.
Is it the same principle?

Brendan

What is the story?

A British bank is not able to provide banking services in Spain unless they set up an operation there?
So it won't be worthwhile for all British banks to set up operations in Spain.
A few will do.

I have an account with Ulster Bank in Newry.
Is it the same principle?

Brendan
Hi Brendan from the Guardian article it looks like it will be a mish-mash but Ireland might end up being an exception and continue for some, due to number of accounts and similar law?:

"UK financial services are regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority which said it expected banks to engage with national regulators to assess the impact of local laws on customers and to inform customers of any changes in a timely manner.

According to the financial trade body UK Finance, banks are having to unpick the legislation of 30 different countries to work out if they can continue serving customers.

Where possible, firms want to keep providing banking services to customers living in the EEA after the transition period,” said a spokesperson.

“The impact on each customer will vary depending on the operating model of their bank or provider, the product or service being provided, and the legal and regulatory framework in the country in which they are resident.”"

You all should calm down and wait to see if some sort of trade deal will be agreed. If not an another extension will be sought and another and another and it will go on and on and on until they do get a deal. By the way I have accounts in UK no body has contacted me.

My brother's accountant came up with a possible good workaround. Make someone who is still resident in the UK a joint account holder. Then the account cannot be closed.

I asked Halifax, where I have an account. (Remember the 2008 panic where some of us feared the euro would cease to exist, and opened accounts elsewhere in the EU just in case?)
I was told I'm not affected.

Make someone who is still resident in the UK a joint account holder. Then the account cannot be closed.

A better workaround would be to open an account with a bank that does offer the service in the country in which you are resident.

If someone asked me to become a joint account holder with them , I would decline. I don't want the complications of a non-resident account, the risks of misuse of the account or whatever.

Brendan

A better workaround would be to open an account with a bank that does offer the service in the country in which you are resident.

If someone asked me to become a joint account holder with them , I would decline. I don't want the complications of a non-resident account, the risks of misuse of the account or whatever.

Brendan
I would normally agree, Brendan, but we have a complex family situation that I'm not going to go into here, which means this could well be a good solution.

What if for example one had an income or rents etc paid in Sterling £ but resident in ROI. Do any ROI based Banks still offer sterling bank accounts in which a Stg £ credit transfer could be made?

Back