Halifax reducing deposit rate

qreus1

Was informed in my Halifax branch today that the 5.6% fixed interest deposit rate is being reduced from close of business on Saturday.

Only opened mine on Monday so just got in on time.

I presume the rest will follow suit.

qreus1 said:
Was informed in my Halifax branch today that the 5.6% fixed interest deposit rate is being reduced
Likewise. Seemed like a logical move to make with the ECB meeting happening this week.

Also was once again very impressed by how efficent, friendly and fast the staff was. Opening accounts is so painless and easy.:)

Can you call into the branch and open one and then transfer the money in a few days later, or do you have to deposit it there and then??

I filled in the application form including how much I wished to deposit and the girl said that I could then deposit the money within 30 days and that would entitle me to the 5.6% rate.

I filled in the application form including how much I wished to deposit and the girl said that I could then deposit the money within 30 days and that would entitle me to the 5.6% rate.

I did much the same today. Rang them up. I already have a number of accounts with Halifax so didn't need any of the ID forms etc. Lady is sending me out the form all filled out except for my signature & confirmed that because I have signalled that I want to open the account before Sat that the rate is held for me provided I get the form sent back within 30 days.

In fairness I cannot say enough good things about Halifax ( No Connection ). I find them to be great to deal with. So for all you rate tarts, provided you get in before Sat you can avail of the 5.6% fixed rate.

What are the documents required to open an account (new applicant) in person?

On the website I can only find the docs required for applications by post... they seem to ask for a lot, including a tax document with PPS number.

In person the verification isn't so heavy since they can confirm your ID visually.

I'm not sure if it's standardised across branches but you shouldn't need more than:
-Passport or a Driver's license
-Certificate of Tax Credits and Standard Rate Cut-Off Point
-Bank statement for e.g. current account

I always bring along a back up e.g. a utility bill though never needed to use it.

I brought loads of forms of ID with me when opening an account in branch. All they required was my driving license and a utility bill and finally my signature. It literally took ten minutes to set up.

I went in again 3 days later to set up the fixed account(again armed with all my paperwork) but I didnt need any ID as they had my details on file. This account took five minutes to set up.

Both times I was asked if I wanted tea or coffee and was generally treated very well. My limited experience with them,so far, has been top notch.

Interesting to read about Halifax customer service.

Mrs redstar went into the local branch last week to withdraw Euro20 from her deposit a/c.
a. She had to produce id.
b. She had to wait 20mins before they gave her the 20.
No reasons, no apologies given.

I was told today that you can attend in the branch and sign up tomorrow(Saturday). Failing this, their customer care line is open on Sunday and I was told they will accept applications over the phone.

Sweet deal!

Interesting to read about Halifax customer service.

Mrs redstar went into the local branch last week to withdraw Euro20 from her deposit a/c.
a. She had to produce id.
b. She had to wait 20mins before they gave her the 20.
No reasons, no apologies given.

That's really poor. I have had nothing but good experiences of Halifax customer service.

I got in when it was 5.9%
I'm part locked at 6.5% until December :D;)
(Old Investec rate)

Any idea if they plan on reducing their Flexi-Saver account rate (currently 5.15% variable for the 1st year). It hasn't changed with any of the ECB cuts.....

The ECB have cut rates by 275 BPS but most market leading rates and loss-leader market rates (like the Halifax 10.00% current account rate) have not being cut.

To answer your question nobody knows - It might all depend on what their close competitors NR & Anglo do.

Back