Graduation - everyone is bothered except me!

I agree with the poster who says its alot to go to the expense of coming back just for the day. You have a get out clause if you don't want to go then tell them you can't come back for it but compromise and get a photo done for your Mum's mantelpiece. I went to my degree graduation and enjoyed the day but my Dad really enjoyed it & he had supported me through college with money so I thought he deserved it. Following year for post grad I didn't go as I had been there done that and then, again at the next graduation I didn't go either. Once was enough for me.

I agree. I attended my graduation ceremony but didn't bother to get a professional photo done (although there is a few snaps taken with my camera lying around somewhere). It meant nothing to me other than a chance to meet up with my friends who I hadn't seen over the summer and I was glad enough to have college over and done with. 15 years on and as a mammy of 2, I think with trepidation of all the challenges and pitfalls ahead of my sons as teenagers and young adults and how I might be able to help them to get through it all. If they do end up going to and graduating from college, I think I will be bursting with pride for them and will be treasuring the photo on the mantle piece forever!

There is a reason that your parents and sister want you to graduate and to attend - its because they are proud and delighted of your achivements and want to mark these achievements with you. Let them.