Graduation - everyone is bothered except me!

I agree with the poster who says its alot to go to the expense of coming back just for the day. You have a get out clause if you don't want to go then tell them you can't come back for it but compromise and get a photo done for your Mum's mantelpiece. I went to my degree graduation and enjoyed the day but my Dad really enjoyed it & he had supported me through college with money so I thought he deserved it. Following year for post grad I didn't go as I had been there done that and then, again at the next graduation I didn't go either. Once was enough for me.

Vanilla that was really lovely. Sweet memories. I've seen my daughter graduate and was so proud of her and her achievements. It was a lovely day. I think the little extra bit you go to please your parents when you're young means so much to them and its only when you're mums and dads yourselves that you'll realise this. You'll all be so proud of your little ones as they grow up.

I agree. I attended my graduation ceremony but didn't bother to get a professional photo done (although there is a few snaps taken with my camera lying around somewhere). It meant nothing to me other than a chance to meet up with my friends who I hadn't seen over the summer and I was glad enough to have college over and done with. 15 years on and as a mammy of 2, I think with trepidation of all the challenges and pitfalls ahead of my sons as teenagers and young adults and how I might be able to help them to get through it all. If they do end up going to and graduating from college, I think I will be bursting with pride for them and will be treasuring the photo on the mantle piece forever!

There is a reason that your parents and sister want you to graduate and to attend - its because they are proud and delighted of your achivements and want to mark these achievements with you. Let them.

Back