Got €1,615 but not in the cohort

When i opened case with BDO, AIB actually sent me the 3.2 piece in the file ,

My docs are all in storage.

I can't remember which Solicitor looked after the contract.

I rang the "helpline" and because my mortgage was through a broker they couldn't tell me on the phone.

So I rang BDO there and left a message asking them to come back to me re my mortgage. Worth a call.

I really think that anyone who got the €1,615 should not worry.

It means that they have Clause 3.2 in their contract, whether they can find it or not.

There might be an exceptional case where AIB made an error in paying out the €1,615 but it's very unlikely.

I can't see how AIB will further subdivide the cohort of people who got €1,615 to say that they are different from Karen. And even if they try, I can't see them getting it past the Central Bank.

Karen was careful chosen as the flagship case so that there were no case specific circumstances which AIB could use to claim it did not apply to other people with that clause.

And, if they do exclude some people, then they can go to the Ombudsman.

Last edited:
My docs are all in storage.

I can't remember which Solicitor looked after the contract.

I rang the "helpline" and because my mortgage was through a broker they couldn't tell me on the phone.

So I rang BDO there and left a message asking them to come back to me re my mortgage. Worth a call.
Legally your solicitor only has to retain your file for 6 years so the chances are it has been destroyed by now. However, it is worth checking.

I rang on Monday and they said I was in the cohort and to expect correspondence most likely at the end of August. I did receive the cheque and have clause 3.2 in my terms. The only thing that concerns me is that they had pulled trackers off the market 10 days before I received my mortgage offer back in 2008. In saying that the clause 3.2 is in there.

Just found the letter from March 2018 with the cheque.

It says specifically in it that I should have been offered the tracker, but wasn't (for what that's worth).

The only thing that concerns me is that they had pulled trackers off the market 10 days before I received my mortgage offer back in 2008.

This is completely irrelevant and should not concern you.

You have the same contract as everyone else.

If AIB had planned to use this to exclude you, then they should have used it two years ago and not given you the €1,615.

Brendan

I can't see how AIB will further subdivide the cohort of people who got €1,615 to say that they are different from Karen. And even if they try, I can't see them getting it past the Central Bank.

Last night I followed up on my initial complaint to CBI regarding the delay and lack of information available from AIB prior to them changing their redress statement on the website.

Basically I said that the AIB tracker helpline is giving out information that seems to be a contradiction of their statement and also I received different information. (I was told weeks ago I was included and yesterday told differently) and this is leading to more stress and anxiety for impacted customers. I asked for my comments to be passed to relevant people and in fairness I had a reply first thing this morning saying they had been passed on.

Maybe its just paranoia setting in from reading all the posts here and I need to take off the tin foil hat but its feels like a definite change of approach from AIB on the helpline :confused:

wording from the letter stating that they had made a service failure above ( which included the cheque for €1615) - seems quite straightforward to me. I wouldn't worry too much about what the helpline are or are not saying, as far as I can see if you got the €1615 you are in.

This continues to be quite the rollercoaster!

The below 2 posts might help others:
David, was this a copy document AIB sent to you? I had a copy of my loan offer at home, but also requested a copy of all my correspondence from them. They sent me a copy of the loan offer but left out the section with clause 3.2! I believe this happened to others from what I remember reading on these threads!
Ah, that is why people have looked at their contract and can't see Clause 3.2.

I attach a letter of offer to show what it looks like.

Clause 3.2 is in Part 4. As this was standard in all contracts at the time, it was not kept on the personal file.

So, when AIB send you a copy of the file, they did not send this to you.

However, if you or your solicitor kept your original, you should see it there.

Brendan

I kind of felt there was more info out there that would help clear this up, and the above has.

When I read that, I checked the info again that AIB sent me, my entire file, and there were no Parts 3, 4 or beyond.

When i opened case with BDO, AIB actually sent me the 3.2 piece in the file ,

I went through my BDO file in detail, and literally the last 10 pages or so are Parts 3 to 7, none of which were in the docs AIB sent. And I have Caluse 3.2 in Part 4. I knew what I was looking at, the docs from AIB, was not the same as what people were referring to and that there were missing parts, terms and conditions or whatever, so thanks to all who helped.

Seems quite strange that BDO stuck those pages onto the very end of the report pack, they aren't with Parts 1 & 2. And where Parts 1 & 2 are, they are followed by Parts 6 & 7. So it's like they took them out and then decided to put them back in. All very strange, and aligns with AIB's utter contempt for the Customer.

For what it is worth, I rang BDO today. The result of the conversation is confirmation that if you write to them, they will send out whatever docs they have and have previously sent.

Interestingly, the lady I spoke to told me that she was aware of a number of people affected and it was the first she heard of there being any confusion or, to put it more accurately, doubt that those who received the cheque may not be entitled to further compensation.

This continues to be quite the rollercoaster!

The below 2 posts might help others:

I kind of felt there was more info out there that would help clear this up, and the above has.

When I read that, I checked the info again that AIB sent me, my entire file, and there were no Parts 3, 4 or beyond.

I went through my BDO file in detail, and literally the last 10 pages or so are Parts 3 to 7, none of which were in the docs AIB sent. And I have Caluse 3.2 in Part 4. I knew what I was looking at, the docs from AIB, was not the same as what people were referring to and that there were missing parts, terms and conditions or whatever, so thanks to all who helped.

Seems quite strange that BDO stuck those pages onto the very end of the report pack, they aren't with Parts 1 & 2. And where Parts 1 & 2 are, they are followed by Parts 6 & 7. So it's like they took them out and then decided to put them back in. All very strange, and aligns with AIB's utter contempt for the Customer.

So it would be better to ask BDO to send out their papers as opposed to asking AIB?

I rang the helpline a day or so ago and requested the particular contract be sent to me. I wonder if I will get all of it.

The situation with so called AIB "help " line is yet another example of AIBs complete hostility and indifference to the claims of this cohort of their customers . It has been this way from the get go and only for Brendan and a few others this strategy of AIBs would have been successful . It has been shown over many AGMs that this attitude emanates from the top down and the unfortunate folk manning the phones are the ones having to deal with the consequences of the banks indifferent attitude .
For what it's worth , I have no intention of ringing the "help"line , I have Clause 3.2 in my contract like everyone else in this cohort , ( we wouldn't have got the €1615 otherwise) and the ombudsman has asked me to pause my complaint until Sept 11 so we can see what AIB do .

What the latest behaviour of AIB has done is made me even more determined to go to the High Court after the redress is paid in August if we can get the numbers together.

In the event that AIB want to keep dragging this out in the short term , I will keep going with the complaint and see absolutely no reason why the ombudsman won't find in my favour too .

The meter has been ticking since Oct 2010 so what's a while longer . Seems to me that the war is won but it hasn't sunk in fully on one side yet

The situation with so called AIB "help " line is yet another example of AIBs complete hostility and indifference to the claims of this cohort of their customers . It has been this way from the get go and only for Brendan and a few others this strategy of AIBs would have been successful . It has been shown over many AGMs that this attitude emanates from the top down and the unfortunate folk manning the phones are the ones having to deal with the consequences of the banks indifferent attitude .
For what it's worth , I have no intention of ringing the "help"line , I have Clause 3.2 in my contract like everyone else in this cohort , ( we wouldn't have got the €1615 otherwise) and the ombudsman has asked me to pause my complaint until Sept 11 so we can see what AIB do .

What the latest behaviour of AIB has done is made me even more determined to go to the High Court after the redress is paid in August if we can get the numbers together.

In the event that AIB want to keep dragging this out in the short term , I will keep going with the complaint and see absolutely no reason why the ombudsman won't find in my favour too .

The meter has been ticking since Oct 2010 so what's a while longer . Seems to me that the war is won but it hasn't sunk in fully on one side yet
Well said. If the redress is not deemed appropriate, I would be prepared to join in to go to the High Court too. I guess all we can do now is sit tight and see what happens.

Another important consideration here is that it is not up to AIB to decide who gets redress or not.

If they deny anyone redress arbitrarily, the person can go to the Ombudsman. The path has already been cleared, so it should be a fairly easy journey.

Brendan

Back