Got €1,615 but not in the cohort

Bw1980

Please help, should I pursue or not?

I got a cheque for €1615 in 2018. I rang the helpline and they said that I was not eligible for this review. They told me that I had different terms and conditions and at a different time than the ones being reviewed now.

I can’t understand why I’d get the cheque the first time and not be involved this time.

Any thoughts on the matter?

This doesn't make any sense.

If you had different terms and conditions, you should not have received the €1,615.

Someone has made an error, and it's more likely to be the person on the phone rather than two years ago.

There is no need to do anything now. If you don't redress by the end of August, then you need to investigate further.

Do you still have the letter you got with the €1,615?

Brendan

This doesn't make any sense.

If you had different terms and conditions, you should not have received the €1,615.

Someone has made an error, and it's more likely to be the person on the phone rather than two years ago.

There is no need to do anything now. If you don't redress by the end of August, then you need to investigate further.

Do you still have the letter you got with the €1,615?

Brendan

No not any more but I’m sure I can get a copy of it. I’ll hang on and see if anything comes in August before I pursue it.

thanks

That's strange. Do you have the famous 3.2 clause which mentions a tracker rate option? I'd check for this too

This is a bit concerning. I got the €1615 but I was never able to find a doc with 3.2 in it. I was fixed from July 2018 for 3 years.

If you do not have 3.2 in your contract, you should not have got the €1,615 and you are not in the cohort.

David , what did the letter say which accompanied the €1,615?

Brendan

I can't find the letter, searched high and low. From what I can remember, it was the standard letter that others had posted a copy of. Can anyone advise when AIB issued these cheques? It might help me to track it down.

I got a letter in April from AIB that says the following:
"We completed a review of Customer mortgage accounts with regard to tracker rates.....While your account was not identified as impacted by the review, if your are considering selling...it is important to contact us."
Did anyone else get this?
This might be aligned to having got the €1615 but not being due redress.

I'm the same as the poster above, i received the cheque, i rang and enquired and they specifically told me that the account number quoted on the letter with the cheque was no in cohort being reviewed. I'll hang on and see what they say in August sure

I found the letter, it seems pretty un-ambiguous to me, 2nd para opens...

"The terms and conditions of your mortgage state that at the end of a fixed rate period you have the option to choose from the then prevailing fixed, variable or tracker interest rates."

@Nanoc80 @Bw1980 - do you have the 1615 letter, or did you or anyone else get a letter in April stating that your account was not identified as impacted?

Last edited:
I found the letter, it seems pretty un-ambiguous to me, 2nd para opens...

"The terms and conditions of your mortgage state that at the end of a fixed rate period you have the option to choose from the then prevailing fixed, variable or tracker interest rates."

@Nanoc80 @Bw1980 - do you have the 1615 letter?

No but I’ll request a copy
Thanks

I have the original letter that the cheque came with, i had a case open with BDO as i had actually previously sent a letter requesting to be put on tracker that was never actioned in the first instance, but my case gets more complicated as there was staff rates involved subsequently and then other fixed terms etc after that. Got no letter in April I rang them

I called the helpline yesterday and they were neither able to confirm or deny I would be included in the cohort. The man on the phone said I would know in July or August. I told him I got the cheque for 1615 and he said that not everyone who got the cheque will be included and stressed again that it would be July or August when I will find out.
Other people have called the number and have been told yes or no. I can't understand why I'll have to wait until August to find out.

I was told i was included when i rang a few weeks ago. The above sounds like they are trying to get a way of separating the cohort by some technicality and not paying out to everyone ? Maybe they found some small issues in some contracts or something

I also just spoke to someone from the helpline.
He advised that not all people who recieved the 1615 in 2018 were included and that they were drawing up a list of those who would be ineligible.

I asked if there were any particular criteria for people not be included and he replied that there absolutely is but that he was not aware of what exactly it was.

Ya it's a complete change of tactics. They are going thru all cases looking for reasons not to pay out

The OP said he was told "They told me that I had different terms and conditions and at a different time than the ones being reviewed now. "

So people must have different contracts or maybe the first redress will only be for people who fixed at a certain time etc.

I think everyone should ring again and see why they have changed their tactics. When will this exclusion list be completed etc.

Back