Fuel burning stove with back boiler not heating rads.

I would echo Villas sentiments 100%, a plumber with experience of stoves is essential, I have had three seperate plumbers each making my stove and heating system progressively worse to the point where I get no hot water from the stove, the thermostat has to be set very low to keep the pump running constantly or the pipes start to rattle like mad, i have a new plumber out next week recomended by the stove shop so fingers crossed this time.
One question can the back boiler itself get broken and therefor not operate ?

80 kg of coal in two days. That's enough for a steam engine!!
I would get the plumber over to investigate, end of. Someting is definetly wrong. Has the heat load for the system been calculated?

Hi I will ask him, please god it will get sorted, i feel a bit ill about it as it has cost a lot to get it installed ,maybe a call to the manufacture to see have they got some one who will look at it for me

I have a dual system myself.Oil fired system was already in house when I bought it.Got a Stanley glass fronted yoke fitted which doesnt seem to heat all the rads(11).Some heating okay,others not at all.My one worry is if the stove is hopping and theres a power cut-plumber told me to stand well back!!There is an expansion tank.I inch pipes from stove to cyclinder.Think I will be engaging the services of a qualified plumber next time.
Very helpful replies villa 1 ,put me in the picture a bit!

Similar problem, need a few pointers

Hi, hope you don't mind me piggy backing on your post. I am in a similar situation. Bungalow has original oil system in place, added a solid fule back boiler two years ago. Was not happy with system last year, rads warm but not hot, did some research and adjusted the rads, turned off two double rads and the heat was much better.

The recent cold weather caused a pipe to burst in the attic, in the panic a neighbour turned a few valves in the hot press while looking for the mains. Since then the system has been very cool, only heating the first two or three rads. When the plumber put in the back boiler he pointed out two valves (red taps) and told me not to adjust them.

You lads seem to know about "unorthadox" systems, when setting up a dual system, what what function would these valves have. It look slike they areregulating flow back to the back boiler and the second one is restricting flow back to the header tank in the attic. This is a bit abstract. If I put together a schematic could i get some advice. I have had three plumber in so far, each had a different answer, want to know what I am talking about before I get another one.

Thanks.

There isn't an unorthodox system when it comes to dual heating systems, that is oil fired/solid fuel. The system can be installed correctly but many people expect the same performance from solid fuel appliances as against oil or gas fired appliances. They are fooling themselves. There is no comparison.
If you look at my previous posts you will see how I have explained how to install a dual heating system successfully and safely.
The solid fuel stove will have a open vented 25mm diameter copper primary circuit connected to a dual coil cylinder. This circuit will heat the cylinder when the stove is lighting. There are to be no valves on this circuit whatsoever.
The heating circuit from the stove is in turn connected to the heating circuit from the oil boiler and there is a non-return valve on this circuit to stop the oil boiler heating the stove when the stove is not lighting. I you want any more info on this pm me and I can give you more info.

Many people expect the same performance from solid fuel appliances as against oil or gas fired appliances. They are fooling themselves. There is no comparison.
Can you elaborate please? Are you saying that a solid fuel appliance alone may not be adequate for a big house?

Hi just a quick update ,rang the manufacturers who sent their plumber to have a look ,he agreed that the plumbing was fine, he also said the stove should be well able to heat the amount of radiators (10 double) but he did not know were the heat was going, so i suggested that maybe it was the stove and he agreed to replace it ,so last Friday we got a new stove fitted, a bit of a messy job, he left ,i lit ,hey presto its working ,my house is toasty ,radiators and water are really hot, so it was the stove and everybody said it could not be, as they are so simple they can’t go wrong, but they can, just to say my house is 2600 Sq-ft and the stove is 30k and is now heating it comfortably, i would like to thank villa1 for your support and askaboutmoney ,i can now get my house back to normal. Thanks again

wonderful news with your new stove,what interests me is what was wrong with the old one.............???:confused:

Hi i really don't know ,the stove looks the same on the outside but the inside is smaller because the side panels are bigger (thicker)so i think it can hold more water,but that is only a guess.

I have a Charnwood boiler stove which heats up to 13 radiators, I have it installed 3 years now and the radiators are never boiling only luke warm - we have 6 double radiators and 3 normal size radiators. I was never happy with the it - would it be worth my while to have a 2nd or third opinion - or would new rads help the situation? Any advice appreciated.

Angela59

I'm running a Hunter Herald 14 into a 250 litre cylinder with these rads: 400d,400d,900d,1000d,1000d,1000d,1000s,1300d,1200towelrail.
After the fire is running for about an hour, all rads are toasty(TRV's fitted to save tiny hands), after 2 hours the cylinder water is roasting. I have it wired currently to pump water to both cylinder and rads together, which I know is not the way I want it when all the system is finished but at this stage it is still heating everything. I ran a double pass to the boiler in 1" pipe. All pipes to the rads are 3/4" until the last metre then to 1/2".
Your monster is 30kw - that's a power station not a stove. As Villa1 says - get him back.
Did you get it fixed?

Rayburn (oil) versus multi fuel stoves.

HI all, I am thinking about changing my beautiful rayburn for a multi fuel stove as the rayburn contains all the heat in the cooker, ie doesnt get hot on the outside so the kitchen is cold as has no rads in it. it works perfectly other than that. A multi fuel stove will heat the room. Am so confused would be afraid of problems arising too. Any info greatly appreciated. Many thanks.

back boiler problem

looking at ure comments u seem to know what ure talking about i have recently put in back boiler and linked it into my heating system but rads are not heating properly my boiler is 30kw i had to go up into attic across the attic the down into utility room to connect to system rads dont seem to heat i have used 1 inch pipes all round just wondered if u had come across problem before i cant get into system on ground floor would this be the problem would app a reply kjohn

I recently got a new stove with back boiler, to heat 12 rads. We have 10. the rads never get really warm and cool very quickly. We have lit blazing fires and the heat out of the stove isn't even that hot. We bought the Heritage on this site: stoves2udirect .eu under the boiler stove section

Is it the stove that's the problem? I wouldn't think it was the plumber since he's very reputable and have the experience. Pipes are 1inch.

Also there's a valve with red knob on the back, not sure what it's for.

If it's the stove can we send it back for a refund, it's only 2 months old.

I'm not too sure about the make/model of the stove but I recently installed a stove for a neice of mine(not on the tools anymore!!) and it is keeping a 2,500 square foot house nice and toasty.
Has the stove the capacity/output to heat all of your radiators? I would call the plumber back and put down a good fire. The system may have to be balanced and this cannot be done unless the fire is lighting for approx 2/3 hrs.
The valve with the red knob is a pressure relief valve which is a mandatory fit on all solid fuel heating appliances. This valve will open and drip if there is a over presurisation event.

I'm not too sure about the make/model of the stove but I recently installed a stove for a neice of mine(not on the tools anymore!!) and it is keeping a 2,500 square foot house nice and toasty.
Has the stove the capacity/output to heat all of your radiators? I would call the plumber back and put down a good fire. The system may have to be balanced and this cannot be done unless the fire is lighting for approx 2/3 hrs.
The valve with the red knob is a pressure relief valve which is a mandatory fit on all solid fuel heating appliances. This valve will open and drip if there is a over presurisation event.

Thanks for the extra info. I'll arrange for the plumber to come back out so.

thanks again

hi all i also bought stove from the company paddycclub was talking about.. i have had nothing but problems since the stove was installed. firstly smoke filling the house when door opened then blacked glass all the time it does not heat the house at all. i have now noticed water collecting at bottom of stove under the ash pan... im at my wit end at this stage feel it is going to be the most expensive ornament in the house... as i am getting scared to light it were all going to be dead from carbon dioxide posioning... any idea whats going on tks

Back