Favourite all-time comedy

Agree with many if not all of the above. Interesting to note that most are English comedies and very little from our American cousins. US comedies that I think are excellent would include Frasier which I often think was most English-like in its writing and themes and I also enjoy Two and a Half Men which is about as opposite as you can get from Frasier in terms of tone.

Steptoe & Son is another classic and on the american front I would have to say King of Queens.

Steptoe & Son is another classic and on the american front I would have to say King of Queens.

Oh hell yeah, Steptoe & Son was brilliant !! 'AROLD !! :)

Also agree with the poster who mentioned Bill Hicks...Sorely missed !

Favourite american comedy series would have to be Arrested Development for me - I have them all on DVD and to date have watched them I would say perhaps 5 times over right through at this stage, and still end up in fits of laughter each time I watch it.
Such a pity it got cancelled, was some of the smartest writing on American TV comedy IMO.

Seems to be predominantly UK comedies here.

How about seinfeld ?

All time favs:
Fawlty Towers
Frasier
Cheers
Alan Partridge
Father Ted
The Office
Blackadders
Arrested Development (little known but worth checking out)

One got into recently:
Flight of the Conchords

Ones that I found vastly overrated:
The Fast Show
Little Britain

in no particular order:

Seinfeld
Futurama
Yes Minister/Yes Prime Minister
The fall and rise of Reginald Perrin
Fawlty Towers

no mention of Curb Your Enthusiasm yet!

Stand ups

Interesting my favourite stand up comedians all tend to be of the black and american variety - Richard Pryor, Eddie Murphy, Chris Rock and Bernie Mac.

Also have ot give a shout for Dave Allen - I cant remember any of his sketchs but do remember rollin around laughin at him as a kid

Guilty pleasures

King of Queens - if only for Ben Stillers ould fella

As regards stuff from the last decade or so, I think Spaced, Shameless, The Office, The Green Wing, Jam and Peep Show are well worth a mention.

Marx Brothers
Bo Selecta
Littlle Brittan
Fr Ted
Kllnascully
Cheers
Frasier
Fawlty Towers

no mention of Curb Your Enthusiasm yet!

Stand ups

Interesting my favourite stand up comedians all tend to be of the black and american variety - Richard Pryor, Eddie Murphy, Chris Rock and Bernie Mac.

Also have ot give a shout for Dave Allen - I cant remember any of his sketchs but do remember rollin around laughin at him as a kid

Guilty pleasures

King of Queens - if only for Ben Stillers ould fella

Agree with King of Queens - Jerry Stiller is hilarious, same kind of character as when he was George's father in Seinfeld, which I also love. Black Books is brilliant as well. Classic wise though - has to be Only Fools & Horses, best two moments Batman & Robin running out of the fog and Del falling through the bar, still crack me up :D

Back