FAIR "Love Ulster" march in Dublin

Re: LOVE march

What makes me wonder is why all these "demonstrations of affiliation" such as this march, gay pride etc. are important to people. Life is too short for me to spend any of my time feeling put out or distressed because I may or may not agree with their reason for marching.

Live and let live.

extopia said:
They are from the northern part of Ireland. Not everyone recognises the partition of the island. And neither does the State.

Personally, I think they're very welcome. March away, lads. I think they will be largely ignored, which will be quite a shock to them if it happens.
I agree that they will be quite shocked if they are ignored. I hope they are ignored as I think that would be the best outcome for the sake of peace.

Andrewa said:
I agree that they will be quite shocked if they are ignored. I hope they are ignored as I think that would be the best outcome for the sake of peace.
Not necessarily. Observing them or even counter demonstrating while not causing trouble would have the same effect. Part of the problem here seems to be that people are concentrating on what might happen if some extremists cause trouble.

Quote from link given in first post:
More than 1,000 people are planning to go on the march, which is being organized by a group representing victims of republican terrorism, Families Acting For Innocent Relatives. The Armagh, Northern Ireland-based group said it agreed a route with the Dublin Police Department for the parade.

``Broadly, we think there is too much interference in the affairs of the North by the Irish government,'' said William Frazer, the march organizer, in a telephone interview from Armagh. ``We are bringing that message down south.''

2 questions: how did the LOVE acronym get into this? The organisation is FAIR.

What would happen if it ended up that they march and passers-by just look at them quizzically as they do with most marchers........ How can that lead to 'triumphalism'? But I suppose the SF etc will all be out.

I don't think LOVE is an acronym-I think the parade is orgainsed by FAIR, and its theme is 'Love Ulster' (Pat Spillane won't have any of that!).

Had to love the UU guy they had on the Last Word tonight, 'agin'! (and what's that all about, anyway...? :confused: ) arguing that surely drum-banging Orangemen should be included under our constitutional clause about 'cherishing all the children of the Nation equally'... :D

sherib said:
I'm Irish because I was born in the Republic of Ireland. Presumably the marchers paying us a visit next Sunday are Northern Irish ;) and also citizens of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland - for the foreseeable future. They're not English, Scottish or Welsh or have I got it wrong?

I'm Irish and stuck with it - whether I like it or not.

I think some of them prefer to label themselves just British (nothing wrong/incompatible with also being Irish with that) because they've come to associate "Irish" with the people trying to bomb and shoot them in a particular direction.
30 years of sectarian violence will do that. Before all the violence many more of them also considered themselves Irish while still supporting the union.

GeneralZod said:
I think some of them prefer to label themselves just British (nothing wrong/incompatible with also being Irish with that) because they've come to associate "Irish" with the people trying to bomb and shoot them in a particular direction.
30 years of sectarian violence will do that. Before all the violence many more of them also considered themselves Irish while still supporting the union.

As someone who has been an expat for a number of years I can say from personal experience that many of my Northern Irish friends of a unionist background would when asked their nationality by most people describe themselves as Irish or Northern Irish (except with their Southern Irish friends like myself who they would tell British to try and wind us up).

Do you mean that you are originally from the ROI and now living in NI or what else has being an expat got to do with this?

DrMoriarty said:
Had to love the UU guy they had on the Last Word tonight... arguing that surely drum-banging Orangemen should be included under our constitutional clause about 'cherishing all the children of the Nation equally'... :D

I don't know what he's arguing about - they ARE included. Many of them don't understand this however. The aspiration towards a pluralist, 32 county republic (with the right of self-determination by the people of the six counties) is clear in the Constitution.

As an aside, it's annoying that Unionists use the term "Ulster" as if it were synonymous with the "Northern Ireland" jurisdiction which only covers six of Ulster's nine counties. Maybe this is why even today I come across people who think that Donegal, for example, is not in the Republic.

extopia said:
The aspiration towards a pluralist, 32 county republic...
It's a pity the preamble to the constitution isn't a bit more pluralist towards those of non Christian faiths or none at all:
In the Name of the Most Holy Trinity, from Whom is all authority and to Whom, as our final end, all actions both of men and States must be referred,

We, the people of Éire,

Humbly acknowledging all our obligations to our Divine Lord, This post will be deleted if not edited immediately Christ, Who sustained our fathers through centuries of trial,

ClubMan said:
It's a pity the preamble to the constitution isn't a bit more pluralist towards those of non Christian faiths or none at all:

Totally agreed. The preamble is contradicted by Article 3:

It is the firm will of the Irish Nation, in harmony and friendship, to unite all the people who share the territory of the island of Ireland, in all the diversity of their identities and traditions...

I suppose when the preamble was written the idea of a non-Christian or even agnostic State was just not conceivable. I think any move to update or remove this preamble would be carried easily by referendum.

Maybe it's time to start the campaign? The pols will soon be knocking on the doors.

extopia said:
As an aside, it's annoying that Unionists use the term "Ulster" as if it were synonymous with the "Northern Ireland" jurisdiction which only covers six of Ulster's nine counties. Maybe this is why even today I come across people who think that Donegal, for example, is not in the Republic.

Annoying in the same way that some people refer to Northern Ireland as the North of Ireland even though
they're not the same thing? Donegal being the main exhibit again.

How about a big sign saying "Welcome to your capital" over a road that they will pass under? Just to let them know that they are welcome...
Jokes aside, if we in the "free state" are serious about a pluralist Ireland then we really do have to welcome them here. I think that is the last thing the march organizers want.

Just saw footage of the riots that happened in the city... I'm angry and disgusted! :mad:

I noticed that alot of the ones on O'Connell St, causing the problems were inner city scumbags... a person with any intelligence would have let the protest pass through, and use a bit of the ol' reverse psychology with the loyalists.

Ireland needs to clean itself up of these scumbags...

-soc

ClubMan said:
Do you mean that you are originally from the ROI and now living in NI or what else has being an expat got to do with this?

No I am from ROI living outside Ireland altogether. I am just saying that in my personal experience once people are removed from the enviroment in NI their opinions on nationality seem to be a little less black and white and that many of my friends who are from what would be considered Unionist backgrounds acknowledge some degree of Irishness that they probably would not have done while living in the more hostile environment up North (not necessarily excluding the fact they still also consider themseves British aswell I don't see them getting Irish passports and voting for an United Ireland) The significance of being an expat just means that I have lived in a situation where I was able to observe this phenomenon. Obviously just my personal observation so not scientific proof of anything but that has been my experience.

soc said:
Just saw footage of the riots that happened in the city... I'm angry and disgusted! :mad:

I noticed that a lot of the ones on O'Connell St, causing the problems were inner city scumbags-soc

I haven't seen the footage but how can you tell where they were from by watching television?

Back