FAIR "Love Ulster" march in Dublin

Re: LOVE march

quarterfloun said:
It's better than watching endless repeats of the Simpsons though.......

You very close to a banning after that statement.

But sure aren't those LOVEies from another part of the European Union, so they are not really foreigners ;)

The route takes them past some old British-era landmarks - including the building on Dawson St where the Orange Order was founded. 'New Ireland Assurance' is there now , I think (how ironic !)
Some of the other streets on the route (Molesworth St for example) are named after various Crown ministers and ambassadors etc ...

ronan_d_john said:
It's not. They're from the United Kingdom. Why should people be allowed in from a foreign country in order to protest on our streets. Why not allow the Pakistani people who are protesting against those cartoons in Karachi to come in here and protest against The Star?

It's ridiculous, and further pandering by Bertie Ahern to the Unionist population in Northern Ireland.

Ably supported it seems by Labour at the moment - has anyone seen their ridiculous notion of including the British army in any rememberances of 1916. Any for seeing some of the Wehrmacht or the Luftwaffe rocking up to the War Memorial in London on Poppy Day??????

They might be from the UK but its a part of the UK we had a territorial claim on until not that long ago. They also have an automatic right to Irish citizenship so even though they won't claim it they are not unconnected to this state.

Finally our government routinely interferes (from their point of view and there is an element of truth in it) in the running of their state so they are perfectly entitled to come here and protest the actions of that government.

car said:
A very dangerous argument indeed as it implies the authorities wouldnt be able to control any such trouble, but I feel the threat is very real in this instance that trouble will indeed happen.
I specifically meant that it was a very dangerous argument from the point of view of mitigating or abrogating everybody's right to free speech and giving in to incipient latent or actual bullying/threats.

Maybe they'll all end up in Dalymount Park boosting our bar coffers like when all the Linfield fans did likewise last time they played down here. :D

ronan_d_john said:
They're from the United Kingdom.

They are from the northern part of Ireland. Not everyone recognises the partition of the island. And neither does the State.

Personally, I think they're very welcome. March away, lads. I think they will be largely ignored, which will be quite a shock to them if it happens.

extopia said:
They are from the northern part of Ireland. Not everyone recognises the partition of the island. And neither does the State.
Wrong. The state and a majority of its citizens (as evidenced by the changes to articles 2 and 3 of the Constitution a while back) do indeed recognise partition:
Article 3

1. It is the firm will of the Irish Nation, in harmony and friendship, to unite all the people who share the territory of the island of Ireland, in all the diversity of their identities and traditions, recognising that a united Ireland shall be brought about only by peaceful means with the consent of a majority of the people, democratically expressed, in both jurisdictions in the island. Until then, the laws enacted by the Parliament established by this Constitution shall have the like area and extent of application as the laws enacted by the Parliament that existed immediately before the coming into operation of this Constitution.

2. Institutions with executive powers and functions that are shared between those jurisdictions may be established by their respective responsible authorities for stated purposes and may exercise powers and functions in respect of all or any part of the island.

I really believe that's a matter of interpretation.

Article 2

It is the entitlement and birthright of every person born in the island of Ireland, which includes its islands and seas, to be part of the Irish Nation. That is also the entitlement of all persons otherwise qualified in accordance with law to be citizens of Ireland. Furthermore, the Irish nation cherishes its special affinity with people of Irish ancestry living abroad who share its cultural identity and heritage.

Not really - article 3 is quite clear in recognising the authority of two juristictions on the island of Ireland: our own and the UK. Note the specific restriction of powers of the state to a subset of the island and recognition of the existence of dual juristictions of the whole island. Article 3 merely extends citizenship to some people outside of the juristiction. It does nothing to claim juristiction over the whole island or contradict the clear recognition of the legitimacy of the UK government of Northern Ireland. Sorry if that disappoints anybody but that's what the majority voted for as part of the Belfast Agreement related constitutional changes.

It is also clear from Article 2 that our northern brethren, whether of the nationalist or unionist persuasion, are part of the Irish nation. To brand them as "foreigners" as some have done above, is clearly unfair.

It is their entitlement to be part of the "Irish Nation" but there is no compulsion on them to take up that entitlement and obviously a significant number of them certainly don't.

Which means to label the ones who decline the article 2 offer foreigners is correct.

So you believe that we can (should?) force a nationality on those who reject it when our own constitution makes it clear that this nationality is an optional entitlement?

No. Where did I say that?

I'm of the opinion that people born in Ireland (either jurisdiction) are Irish. I do not regard Irish people as foreigners, even if they do not have a passport.

To get back to the original question, as far as I'm concerned the lads in the bowler hats are welcome to come down and introduce us to some of their traditions, which are of course all part of the weave of Irish cultural activity.

Incidentally, before someone goes on about northern protestants/unionists being of Scottish extraction, did you know that Scotland is derived from the Latin word Scotus, meaning.... "Irishman."

extopia said:
I'm of the opinion that people born in Ireland (either jurisdiction) are Irish. I do not regard Irish people as foreigners, even if they do not have a passport.
Many inhabitants of NI don't consider themselves Irish (in the sense that they belong to the "Irish Nation" mentioned above) and reject any attribution of such an interpretation of Irishness to them.
To get back to the original question, as far as I'm concerned the lads in the bowler hats are welcome to come down and introduce us to some of their traditions, which are of course all part of the weave of Irish cultural activity.
Personally I'm neutral on it and neither welcome nor shun them. It makes no odds to me either way. Unless they head to Dalyer for a pint afterwards where I would welcome them.

I'm Irish because I was born in the Republic of Ireland. Presumably the marchers paying us a visit next Sunday are Northern Irish ;) and also citizens of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland - for the foreseeable future. They're not English, Scottish or Welsh or have I got it wrong?

I'm Irish and stuck with it - whether I like it or not.

It's not. They're from the United Kingdom. Why should people be allowed in from a foreign country in order to protest on our streets.
I was being sarcastic Ronan. Adopting the attitude that it's nice to see our northern countrymen in the capital would not please them.

Best thing to do is let them march and pointedly ignore them.

They're nothing but bullies and, like any bully, if they don't get a reaction all their posturing will have been in vain.

I think the only reason they're coming here is because they know theres always going to be some (probably a small minority) who will cause them grief and with a bit of luck it'll end in violence that'll be all over the media. This way they can strengthen their position up in the 6 counties by going back and preaching that 'those fenians' down south hate us and would never allow us to be a proper part of a United Ireland, we'd always be an oppressed minority to them etc!
Unfortunately, I think they'll get their wishes as theres a small minority of numbskulls everywhere and Ive a feeling RSF and other dissident groups will let their feelings show in more than a peaceful protest.

Back