Exceeding Speed Limit. Under 60 in 50K ph area

All car speedos ar calibrated to read high ie. It will read 60 when actual speed is 55 km.
Also the speedo reading acuracy can change depending upon the wear on the tyres

All car speedos ar calibrated to read high ie. It will read 60 when actual speed is 55 km.
Also the speedo reading acuracy can change depending upon the wear on the tyres
Don't assume your speedo is out by as much as that. Some car speedos are actually quite accurate as long as you are driving on the tyres it is specced for. The legislation is that they are not allowed to understate the speed, and are allowed to overstate the speed by up to 10%.

Don't assume your speedo is out by as much as that. Some car speedos are actually quite accurate as long as you are driving on the tyres it is specced for. The legislation is that they are not allowed to understate the speed, and are allowed to overstate the speed by up to 10%.
The calibration is
The calibration of a car speedos is unilateral, meaning that instead of a plus or minus reading it plus or zero reading so it will always read faster than you are travelling but never slower, this takes into account of all uncertainties so you cannot blame the makers if you get done for speeding. Generally you will find at 60 mph your speedo will be reading 65

I was driving through Griffith’s avenue at 6:30 on a weekday in July 2011. A car behind me was so close, I decided to speed up in up to the bus lane so the car could over take me and the Garda van flashed. I was driving 56 in a 50 zone. Happened on Tuesday, letter received on Friday paid fine and penalty points started in September for 3 years. Affected my insurance as I was 23 at the time, added an extra €20 to my dd.

Back