Exceeding Speed Limit. Under 60 in 50K ph area

darvas

Recently driving through a town, and going downhill, in a 50 k speed limit area. I noticed
a speed van and immediately checked my speed. I was driving between 50 to 60 k ph.
Probably about 56 to 58/59. Am I likely to be penalised ?

I got caught between a 50 and 60 sign doing 55 so who knows! You might be lucky. Yes I shouldn't have been doing it and it worked as I haven't done it since. Must say though I changed cars and this one has this speed limiter button and it's the best thing ever, other than that I find a basic sat nav great for beeping when you've gone over limit etc.

You'll have to wait and see. Passes vans loads of times slightly going over speed limit but the penalty never arrived in the post.

I think you have a 10% margin of error anyway so if you were in the 55kph range, you should be alright.

The vans don't appear to be recording speeds at all times. I heard nothing after my two most obvious transgressions of 107 in a 100 zone and 77 in a 60 zone.

Vans will only be working when the doors are closed and they don't flash. Also it takes some time for them to set up. In addition I do wonder about the accuracy of speedometers, I've been passing ones at some road works which flash up your speed and they always record me as being 5-6 km slower then what my own car is doing

Yep, speedometers are, by design, calibrated to show readings higher than the actual speed of the vehicle.

And as previously pointed out 'Go Safe' vans use recording technology as opposed to the legacy system of snapshot photography , so no flash employed or needed.

Thanks for replies. I can only wait and see. I am aware it is totally my own fault and i should not have been driving at more than 50.

Good response. The speed van did its job, you got the message and fingers crossed without the actual penalty needing to be applied. Win win.

I got mine about 2 months later - 3 penalty points. It didn't affect my insurance much as 3 wasn't deemed a problem!

My only problem was that I was driving my wife's car at the time and the notice came to her o_O

Vans simply record traffic and coverage is sent to Garda Traffic in Thurles. The guy/girl in the van just sets up the equipment and monitors that it is working and has no part in any decision. The speed of every vehicle passing is taken.
In Thurles all "transgressors" :) over a certain level are reviewed and ticket issued by gardai there.

Certainly 60 in a 50 will get you a ticket (me - twice!), but I reckon you are borderline.

Must say though I changed cars and this one has this speed limiter button and it's the best thing ever

I use the cruise control for this. It’s great for this purpose.

I used to have an app on my phone that’d bleep when approaching a speed check zone.
Found it annoying though so don’t bother with it anymore. And, obviously, the Gardai can check for speeding anywhere and the app doesn’t work for that.

Back