Eir contract renewal

JohnJay

My 12 month contract with Eir is up at the end of October. I know I can get a better deal by shopping around, but is there any point in me phoning them first to see if they will give me their current offer or would I be wasting my time?

Absolutely. The main players have changed policy on this as they know it is easy to switch for most customers.
I'll be surprised if they let you go?

Why would you even want to negotiate with them to stay? I am 10 months in to a 12 month contract and I cannot wait to move on.
I have used all of the currently available providers and they are the most disappointing from a usability, channel availability, recording ability points of view etc.

@JohnJay - don't forget to initiate the cancellation process if you are planning to move - with Eir, it's 30days.

Just to share my experience - I've been with Eir for the last 2 contracts ( 24 months each) , but this year I wanted to move to get a better deal (1G FTTH is what I am on). Sky were offering a good package for Broadband ( and I'm with Sky for basic TV, so trying to combine everything into a good (cheaper) package ).

I Initiated the cancellation with Eir as per their T&Cs- they offerred €5 off p/m, then €10 off, but still wan't getting close to what I could get with Sky. Roll on a few weeks, and there is a LOT of frustration when trying to get signed up with Sky on line, to avail of their offer. I called into a sky hub ( pop up place within a shopping centre ) and it wasn't any better than talking to a bot. Headed to a sky store (a level above pop up hub) and spent 40mins with they guy in there going around in circles with him telling me that I can't get FttH at the address I had given him, even though I was on such for the previous 4 years. He then blamed Eir for turning things off. (what those things were, I don't know ! )

He finally rang the Sky admin team? and I spent another 10mins on the phone with a techie looking into the issue, but in the end, they couldn't supply FttH for me. It turns out that the estate I'm in has been divided up amongst the BB suppliers and Sky have reached their limit within the estate - he recommended for me to try Vodafone if I want to move from Eir. I had NEVER heard of such in the past, whether he was at the end of his document titled "Recommendaitons on what to say to the customer when you haven't a clue why things aren't working" or the estate is actually divided up in such a way, I don't know...

So I found myself, a few days to go before I get disconnected by Eir, and I can't move to Sky ( other suppliers weren't offering anything great in terms of pricing ), so I talked to Vodafone and price was ok, but not great and would take around a week at least to get set up. After that conversation with VodafoneI rang Eir back ( responded to a call from their cancellation team ), and asking them if they could do anything for me. Transferred to customer loyalty team? and then transferred again to another person and they offered a good deal - got full 1G FttH for 12 the months ( down from 24 months ) for €34.99 per month, with first month free. Took it there and then.

So, I would recommend to shop around, but make sure you can avail of other suppliers. Follow the Eir T&Cs if cancelling and if you ring them, keeping asking for a better deal from Eir. Ask them for the new customer package - if you terminate your contract, you can avail of such rates, but you might be out of BB use for a few days. Best of luck with it.

Just to add, I never had any issue with Eir over the years in relation to BB - always very, very reliable.

Back