Does anyone in the Irish Government (Public Service) actually answer phones

pflangan

Just spent the last hour trying to get through to the various regional Vehicle Registration Offices, yet to have the pleasure of speaking with someone in the flesh.

what a joke

Re: Does anyone in the Irish Government actually answer phones

Probably the busiest time to ring them. Everyone always rings just before the end of the day.

Some offices only answer calls between 9 and 12:30.
They need the afternoon for whatever it is they do.
The Revenue offices I call do this, they're very helpful actually :)

Best off calling in the morning.

Call between 10.30 and 12.00 and 2.30 and 3.30. These seem to be the "core" hours for most of the government offices.

am I missing the point or are we paying over the odds for a civil service that only works part time? A whole 2.5 hours a day???? These useless gits should do a days work for a days pay. Nor does my employer does not need to borrow 10% of my salary elsewhere to pay me - (he laid off three staff -15% of our workforce) to balance the books - Cowan should do the same -make these justify their jobs - if they can't - door is over there

am I missing the point or are we paying over the odds for a civil service that only works part time? A whole 2.5 hours a day???? These useless gits should do a days work for a days pay. Nor does my employer does not need to borrow 10% of my salary elsewhere to pay me - (he laid off three staff -15% of our workforce) to balance the books - Cowan should do the same -make these justify their jobs - if they can't - door is over there

As you rightly suspected, you're missing the point.

Core working hours are the hours where staff must be in the office. They still have to work their 39hr week (or whatever it is) but have the flexibility of adjusting their work patterns to suit their lifestyles. It's known as work-life balance. I don't begrudge them this facility - I wish my employers would implement it! Where the nature of the work allows for it, it's something that should be available for all, in my opinion.

Incidentally I had to deal with 2 departments in the past week, Revenue and Social Welfare, found both to be extremely helpful.

Last edited:

Actually you have the core hours wrong. They are between 10:00 am and 12:30 pm. The afternoon goes from 2:30 pm to 4:00 pm.

However do note that there is always staff coverage to cover "normal" hours outside of flexitime regulations which are 9:15 am to 12:45pm and 2:00 pm to 5:30 pm. Even at that combining with flexi there would be a skeleton staff there over lunch anyway. They do have to work their alloted hours per week (keeping in mind atypicals/job sharers/part timers).

I worked in Revenue years ago and mornings the phones would be absolurely manic with the effort being in the afternoon to catch up. Staffs there were trying their best with (at the time) very limited resources e.g. 1 computer for every three persons

Also I have found that the phone systems give the impression that they are ringing when in reality all phones are off the hook on all the desks. I have even found that ringing sections where I used to work. While this is wrong it would be expensive and financially irresponsible to replace such a system.

I would have to say that all Sections I have seen would have staff covering phones and where management see that there isn't, there would be questions why.

What a rude, sweeping post. Civil Servants are expected to work an average of 7 hours a day, excluding their lunch break. While the facility is there to go at 4, you can only do this if you make up the hours somewhere else, and if there will be sufficient coverage in the office until 5.30. Yes, there are some useless gits in the Civil Service, just as I have had to deal with some useless gits in shops, banks, restaurants, airports etc etc. These kind of people get jobs everywhere, not just in the Civil Service, and are always in the minority. Please don't tar us all with the same brush.

Also I have found that the phone systems give the impression that they are ringing when in reality all phones are off the hook on all the desks. I have even found that ringing sections where I used to work. While this is wrong it would be expensive and financially irresponsible to replace such a system.

The correct thing to do would be to replace the staff leaving the phone "off the hook".

The correct thing to do would be to replace the staff leaving the phone "off the hook".
That's one option, though a slightly extreme one. Another option would be implement appropriate management practices to ensure that customers are served in an appropriate manner, including allowing time for dealing with cases in addition to time spent on the phone.

Yes, there are some useless gits in the Civil Service, just as I have had to deal with some useless gits in shops, banks, restaurants, airports etc etc. These kind of people get jobs everywhere, not just in the Civil Service, and are always in the minority. Please don't tar us all with the same brush.

That is a fair point I have to say. The only problem is that the private sector "useless gits" have a fair chance of being fired if they continue to be "usesless gits" whereas it seems nigh impossible to get fired in the civil service. From my experience, the useless/lazy gits tend to be moved on to new sections or departments rather than getting fired which is not ideal.

Exactly Teabag.

That's one option, though a slightly extreme one. Another option would be implement appropriate management practices to ensure that customers are served in an appropriate manner, including allowing time for dealing with cases in addition to time spent on the phone.

I agree... and any employee who obstructs that reform should be shown the door.

BTW, 7 hours a day is a bit of a joke.

I agree... and any employee who obstructs that reform should be shown the door.

We should all be on 7 hours a day and get back to having a life away from work again. Its a bit of a dream right now but I do think that we tend to spend way to much time either at work or in work mode (dam mobiles) at least I do anyway and its becoming harder to see the benefit coming from my extra hours.

We should all be on 7 hours a day and get back to having a life away from work again. Its a bit of a dream right now but I do think that we tend to spend way to much time either at work or in work mode (dam mobiles) at least I do anyway and its becoming harder to see the benefit coming from my extra hours.
The "should" and "can" thing again.

The op has a vaild point. We pay for the civil servants to run the country and they should be available to answer calls during normal working hours i.e. 9-5.

Fair is fair.

I phoned the Dept of Health just last week at about 11am and got through first time to a very helpful person who gave me all the information I needed to know.

I phoned the Dept of Health just last week at about 11am and got through first time to a very helpful person who gave me all the information I needed to know.

I advise you to get a second opinion !

Is it hell !
I spend 8 hours at work but 2 hours of it is daydreaming and 1 hour on the internet.
I would gladly give up the daydreaming and internet for a 5 hour day.

Back