Do we need a new political party to represent responsible people?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think what I'm hearing Brendan is that you would make a good political advisor but a bad politician! :p
Then you could right a book about it explaining how everything good that was done was your idea and the only mistakes your politician made was when they didn't listen to you.... then you could get a job running Bernardo's.

Then you could right a book about it explaining how everything good that was done was your idea and the only mistakes your politician made was when they didn't listen to you.... then you could get a job running Bernardo's.

Ceist,

Make sure you get a good proofreader - what about Purple? Want to play "spot the ball"?!

With regard to giving an independent body the authority to set budget limits, I think it would require a constitutional change under articles 21 and 22.

There is little to no evidence of people who are currently out of work and living in social housing being any way responsible for the high rents imposed on working people.

There is evidence that when employment opportunities arise, the long-term unemployment rate falls below 2%, as it is now.
I have no evidence that this 2% over periods of a year or longer are the same people.
We really are talking about a tiny cohort of people here.

The proposals attached to The Responsible Party seem cumbersome, legally suspect, and probably very costly.

Hi Ceist

What I am saying is that we need a new political party which promotes responsible, long-term policies.

And they would have to have thick enough necks to withstand the personal abuse that they would get for daring to suggest
  1. People who make no effort to pay their mortgages should be repossessed
  2. People who work should get better housing than people who don't.
  3. We cannot afford the highest social welfare rates in Europe
  4. Someone who has worked all their life should get a higher pension in retirement than someone who has been on welfare all their life
  5. Public servants and politicians should have generous pensions but not gold plated ones
  6. While we have a housing emergency people should not be living on their own in 4 bedroom social houses which could be housing a working family.
  7. Landlords should be encouraged and not discouraged.
Etc.

It's much more popular to suggest that we will continue to live in denial - that we can continue borrowing money and living off the unnaturally high Corporation Tax receipts to fund a lifestyle and pension age we can't afford. That throwing money at the health system will fix it. And that we have enough builders in the country to build all the offices, hotels, rural broadband and houses that are needed.

Brendan

With regard to giving an independent body the authority to set budget limits, I think it would require a constitutional change under articles 21 and 22.

Agreed. It would have to be written into the constitution or else the next irresponsible party to take power would just change the legislation.

Brendan

There is evidence that when employment opportunities arise, the long-term unemployment rate falls below 2%, as it is now.
I have no evidence that this 2% over periods of a year or longer are the same people.
We really are talking about a tiny cohort of people here.

This is kind of true. in 2013 there were 230k people unemployed for over 6 months, in 2018 there were only 70k, and I suspect it's lower now.

Unemployed people eventually give up and often find other schemes. So in the same time period the numbers in receipt of carers' and disability allowance combined grew 70k. That's 3% of the labour force, not a small number.

Ireland still has a big problem with jobless households.

Hi Ceist

What I am saying is that we need a new political party which promotes responsible, long-term policies.

And they would have to have thick enough necks to withstand the personal abuse that they would get for daring to suggest
  1. People who make no effort to pay their mortgages should be repossessed
  2. People who work should get better housing than people who don't.
  3. We cannot afford the highest social welfare rates in Europe
  4. Someone who has worked all their life should get a higher pension in retirement than someone who has been on welfare all their life
  5. Public servants and politicians should have generous pensions but not gold plated ones
  6. While we have a housing emergency people should not be living on their own in 4 bedroom social houses which could be housing a working family.
  7. Landlords should be encouraged and not discouraged.
Etc.

It's much more popular to suggest that we will continue to live in denial - that we can continue borrowing money and living off the unnaturally high Corporation Tax receipts to fund a lifestyle and pension age we can't afford. That throwing money at the health system will fix it. And that we have enough builders in the country to build all the offices, hotels, rural broadband and houses that are needed.

Brendan

A much short list than the original suggestions. Brendan, you've a bit to go yet, but you're getting there.

1. How much paying of a mortgage in arrears is acceptable to you to avoid repossession?
2. Generally, people who work get better housing than those who don't. Is there something I don't know.
3. We cannot afford the highest social welfare rates in Europe. I'm not fully au-fait with the situation, but am willing to learn.
4. The amount of time on welfare is the problem here. Are you tarring all welfare recipients with the same brush?
5. Do you know that public/civil servants don't have the same Social Welfare entitlements as those in the private sector?
6. How do you propose to distribute the spare capacity in any house?
7. Good and Honest Landlords should be encouraged. Finally, there is something on which I agree 100% with you.

Unemployed people eventually give up and often find other schemes. So in the same time period the numbers in receipt of carers' and disability allowance combined grew 70k. That's 3% of the labour force, not a small number.

Yet, since 2006 (to 2013), there has been a 37.7pc increase in the number of people who have left the labour force citing a condition that substantially limits one or more basic physical activities.
This is not people who have been unfortunate enough to be born with a disability, but people who have developed a disabling condition. This means 55,000 people – bigger than Waterford, the country's fifth largest city. Between 2002 and 2006, the same figure only increased by 1pc which is less than 2,000 people.
So what has happened from 2006 to 2012 to cause 53,000 extra people to leave the labour force due to physical disability?
Meanwhile, the number of people leaving the labour force citing a psychological or emotional condition has risen even more dramatically – 88,000 people are now diagnosed with an emotional or psychological condition that is bad enough that they can't work. This is a 27,000 rise from the same figure in 2006.

I heard anecdotal information that if someone has been referred for a scan for a condition that interferes with their work, they can claim disability.
Given the waiting times for some of our scans in public system, that can be considerable period...
Easier for some than worrying about Jobs bridge or pretending to work.
Plus they get free bus pass.

Unemployed people eventually give up and often find other schemes

Sorry, I dont understand this point.

So in the same time period the numbers in receipt of carers' and disability allowance combined grew 70k. That's 3% of the labour force, not a small number.

Are carers not working people?

Ireland still has a big problem with jobless households.

Perhaps, but what has that got to do with extortionate rents being paid?
We have had longer periods of higher unemployment in the past, I dont recall those periods coinciding with huge rents in the private rental sector.

Just on this....do the EU rules on borrowing still apply? I think these were/are a godsend to be honest..
Could we not just abandon the whole government thing and self rule business, bring the IMF back to sort it out.
Aaa But the first thing the TROIKA did when the came in was put USC on Brendan so called Responsible people if they were around for a bit longer they would have sorted and put a fair level field Social security system in place which would have stopped the rise of SF,

In a strange way when I ask people why the voted for SF the biggest reason is they see FF/FG/Lab rolled back the changes brought in by the TROIKA and are worried if the TROIKA IMF come back Ireland will not be treated as good as last time seeing we rolled back changes the put in place,

If we have downturn the TROIKA/IMF have to come back ,

God help anyone foolish enough to be taking out Mortgages seeing close to 20% of payroll going in PRSI +USC and nothing to show for it if the find unemployed and no other job to go to;
God help anyone foolish enough to deposit money in Irish Banks who give out Mortgages to people who may become unemployed in Ireland,

And most of all god help the people who cannot see the vote for SF in a cry for help and a change in attitude everything happens for a reason ,just remember the TRIOKA/IMF will be taking from the same people as SF, all because the so called responsible people who are happy to see FF/FG/LAB dodge reform to shore up there shortsighted core supporters for another few years until The TROIKA/IMF Return,

And most of all god help the people who cannot see the vote for SF in a cry for help and a change in attitude everything happens for a reason ,just remember the TRIOKA/IMF will be taking from the same people as SF, all because the so called responsible people who are happy to see FF/FG/LAB dodge reform to shore up there shortsighted core supporters for another few years until The TROIKA/IMF Return,
Do you think SF would do more or less damage to the economy than FF/FG?
Do you think that SF are more or less likely than FF/FG to reform the legal industry, the health industry and the Public Sector?

I get that you are angry and all that with the left of centre parties that have run the country for decades but what are you suggesting as an alternative?
The "angry vote for change" was from people who want more handouts, more featherbedding, more good money thrown after bad, far left government and no reform, just some fairy tail nonsense about getting their fair share, social justice (which doesn't include any social justice) and paying for it all by taxing "the rich". The protest vote was a coalescence of anger, stupidity, naivety, ignorance of history and a big dose of wishful thinking.
If you want a pseudo-marxist 32 county Republic with a government that controls most aspects of citizens lives and an a populace which fears that government then vote for Sinn Féin.
If you vote for them because you don't like the reality of getting out of yet another recession and you don't understand how economies work then you're an idiot (and a useful one to the Shinners).

We don't need a new political party, we need one of the two centre left parties to act with fiscal responsibility and we need to teach kids economics in schools so that they understand reality when they grow up.

In a strange way when I ask people why the voted for SF the biggest reason is they see FF/FG/Lab rolled back the changes brought in by the TROIKA and are worried if the TROIKA IMF come back Ireland will not be treated as good as last time seeing we rolled back changes the put in place,
I would be stunned if the thinking of the vast majority of SF voters extended even 10% that far towards thinking about the Troika coming back in! The Troika never even entered their minds once since the week after they left!

Do you think that SF are more or less likely than FF/FG to reform the legal industry, the health industry and the Public Sector?

I get that you are angry and all that with the left of centre parties that have run the country for decades but what are you suggesting as an alternative?
The "angry vote for change" was from people who want more handouts, more featherbedding, more good money thrown after bad, far left government and no reform, just some fairy tail nonsense about getting their fair share, social justice (which doesn't include any social justice) and paying for it all by taxing "the rich". The protest vote was a coalescence of anger, stupidity, naivety, ignorance of history and a big dose of wishful thinking.
If you want a pseudo-marxist 32 county Republic with a government that controls most aspects of citizens lives and an a populace which fears that government then vote for Sinn Féin.
If you vote for them because you don't like the reality of getting out of yet another recession and you don't understand how economies work then you're an idiot (and a useful one to the Shinners).

We don't need a new political party, we need one of the two centre left parties to act with fiscal responsibility and we need to teach kids economics in schools so that they understand reality when they grow up.

Lovely words Purple, but the electorate made their decision to vote as they did by the amount of money in their pockets at the end of each week.

Lovely words Purple, but the electorate made their decision to vote as they did by the amount of money in their pockets at the end of each week.
Exactly. Wishful thinking and blaming the wrong people for their problems. It's like a fat child crying because they are overweight but refusing to eat less chocolate and get some exercise.

Purple I am travelling around Germany at present
I started off with a visit to an Irish couple who left Ireland in the last downturn, the took over a closed down Irish pub formally ran by an Indian they have being very successful running it ,I was there for the Rugby six nations match on Saturday , There was lots of Irish along with some English and Wales supporters, there was a polish family following the Irish team father worked in construction over in Germany having already worked in Ireland ,
I was talking to them they are earning a lot less money in Germany than Ireland, the regret coming to Ireland for one reason once the lost there job the drop in income was massive compared to Germany,
Would they come back to Ireland never still having nightmares from that time,
I have never supported SF You are in for some land when the parties you support run out of road,and the so called responsible people are gone with all of the money they creamed off the likes of you,

Purple I am travelling around Germany at present
I started off with a visit to an Irish couple who left Ireland in the last downturn, the took over a closed down Irish pub formally ran by an Indian they have being very successful running it ,I was there for the Rugby six nations match on Saturday , There was lots of Irish along with some English and Wales supporters, there was a polish family following the Irish team father worked in construction over in Germany having already worked in Ireland ,
I was talking to them they are earning a lot less money in Germany than Ireland, the regret coming to Ireland for one reason once the lost there job the drop in income was massive compared to Germany,
Would they come back to Ireland never still having nightmares from that time,
I have never supported SF You are in for some land when the parties you support run out of road,and the so called responsible people are gone with all of the money they creamed off the likes of you,
So I'm still not getting what party you do support. Being angry doesn't solve anything. Pointing out problems doesn't solve anything. Having stupid fanciful policies doesn't solve anything.
Pointing out obvious things like that we have a very narrow tax base which massively over taxes high earners and massively under taxes low and middle income earners doesn't solve anything.
Being cynical and pointing out the obvious isn't being wise, it's just stating the bleedin' obvious.
Given that you have to vote for someone, unless you just want to be a spectator, who do you think will do least harm? Who do you vote for?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back