Dentist refusing to return deposit

Status
Not open for further replies.

dubdub123

This may seem like a small issue in the whole scheme of things but Id really appreciate guidance on this

Myself and 2 children recently scheduled appointments with a local dental surgery. In order to make booking they request 50 euro deposit (having lived out of dublin for years i wasnt sure if this is normal dublin practice), so i paid deposit.

On the day of appointments dentist said for me to get an xray which I did so she could get better insight.

After the appointments I paid for everything in full (dental check and cleanings x 3). I was not charged for xray. I then left 50 euro deposit for next booking.

I realised afterwards that I wasnt happy with the standard of care and cancelled follow on appointments. (I didnt go into details).

I phoned few times and a receptionist said that they would arrange a refund and someone would contact me.

They then left me a voicemail saying that the cost of the xray was 50euro, and I am not due a deposit refund. They have not sent me an invoice for xray and it is very convenient that the cost of xray is exactly the deposit that I paid.

Ive tried to contact them and Im extremely annoyed as I feel that they are withholding my deposit.

Just to note, ive since gone to a different dentist, for checkup and during that visit, xrays were taken at no extra cost.

How can I push to get deposit back? I think i put payment on credit card that day. Honestly the whole place felt sub standard even though its a family run practice.

Email them to say you are not happy. Outline what you see as the problem, what you would like them to do about it (return your €50 presumably) and say that if it is not resolved satisfactorily within a reasonable time you will be making a complaint to both the Dental Council and th Consumer and Competition Protection Commissioner.

Email them to say you are not happy. Outline what you see as the problem, what you would like them to do about it (return your €50 presumably) and say that if it is not resolved satisfactorily within a reasonable time you will be making a complaint to both the Dental Council and th Consumer and Competition Protection Commissioner.

Great thank you, really appreciate that.

Id suggest writing the dentist outlining your concerns and demanding repayment of deposit within 7 days (reasonable timeframe)

If you don't get it back then file a chargeback claim through you credit/debit card --- google chargeback and you'll get info on it.

Id suggest writing the dentist outlining your concerns and demanding repayment of deposit within 7 days (reasonable timeframe)

If you don't get it back then file a chargeback claim through you credit/debit card --- google chargeback and you'll get info on it.
Great thank you, ill check that out.

In most cases, deposits are non-refundable where the consumer changes their mind. You are not automatically entitled to a refund unless the provider has failed to provide the agreed service.

In most cases, deposits are non-refundable where the consumer changes their mind. You are not automatically entitled to a refund unless the provider has failed to provide the agreed service.

It was a refundable booking deposit for dental appointment which I cancelled about a week in advance and initially i was told someone would contact me to process a refund.. all very straightforward..

Then.. someone else left me a voicemail saying that I owed them 50 euro (same amount as deposit) for an xray. They did not highlight any fee on the day and still did not invoice me for this xray.

Kinda convenient that they are billing me (with no invoice) for the exact amount of my deposit..

It was a refundable booking deposit for dental appointment which I cancelled about a week in advance and initially i was told someone would contact me to process a refund.. all very straightforward..

Then.. someone else left me a voicemail saying that I owed them 50 euro (same amount as deposit) for an xray. They did not highlight any fee on the day and still did not invoice me for this xray.

Kinda convenient that they are billing me (with no invoice) for the exact amount of my deposit..
If you ask them for an invoice for the €50 xray fee, I'm sure they will be happy to oblige.

If the deposit was refundable in all circumstances then I wonder why they would bother charge it in the first place.

It's likely they only discovered you still owed them for the XRay when someone went to process the refund. Regardless, there's nothing to prevent them holding on to it to pay for the X-Ray charge, and many charge more than that for panoramic imaging.

If you are not happy with this situation. You can make a claim against the dentist through the small claims court. The threat of this might cause a change of mind by the dentist regarding the return of your deposit.

If the deposit was refundable in all circumstances then I wonder why they would bother charge it in the first place.

It's likely they only discovered you still owed them for the XRay when someone went to process the refund. Regardless, there's nothing to prevent them holding on to it to pay for the X-Ray charge, and many charge more than that for panoramic imaging.

The idea of it is to avoid no shows. So if patient books, doesnt cancel and doesnt show up, they have the deposit towards costs.

There was no mention of extra billing on the day, and they have not sent me an updated invoice.

I have since attended another dentist who took similar type of xray, and they did not charge any additional fee.

If you are not happy with this situation. You can make a claim against the dentist through the small claims court. The threat of this might cause a change of mind by the dentist regarding the return of your deposit.

Thank you, appreciate the feedback. I will look into that.

And even if the SCC upholds the claim, there is no guarantee that the local sheriff will ever be motivated to collect such a small sum from the dentist.
The county sheriff is a last resort. The Dentist would probably pay up immediately if found liable.

I honestly dont know anything about the small claims court but i will look into that and also making a complaint as suggested earlier.

Its really the unethical behaviour here that I have an issue with. Its seems highly likely that they are retrofitting this 50 euro as a fee (without any invoice being furnished) now that ive cancelled further appointments.

As a side note, their professionalism during the appointments was less than satisfactory (im being generous with that statement).

I honestly dont know anything about the small claims court but i will look into that and also making a complaint as suggested earlier.

Its really the unethical behaviour here that I have an issue with. Its seems highly likely that they are retrofitting this 50 euro as a fee (without any invoice being furnished) now that ive cancelled further appointments.

As a side note, their professionalism during the appointments was less than satisfactory (im being generous with that statement).

Is there a fee schedule on their website indicating a charge for an x-ray?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back