Customs import duty on package requested to be returned to sender

tw1234567

Hi all,

My wife recently made a hasty $$$ purchase from the US, forgetting about import/customs duty that would be due. When she received a call from customs and discovered the duty that would be due on the item she decided to request a return to sender. I stepped in here and spoke to a couple of (what turned out to be less than helpful - english not first language) FedEx representatives the day after the call. On the call to these guys I tried to get across that we wanted the package returned to sender. I registered a FedEx account and associated my Credit Card to assume the costs of returning the item. All seemed fine and I was given the impression that the cogs were in motion for the return. I rang a couple of days later again to check the status and was speaking to an English lady who informed me that I actually needed to contact the FedEx customs officials in Dublin. She gave me two email addresses to contact and explain my predicament and that I wanted to return the package to the sender. I did this and explained the situation. I got no reply and followed up the following day at which point I received a reply saying that they received the request but it takes a few days to get approval from customs to return goods and that they would get back to me when there was an update. I received no update until I emailed again on the morning 3 days later. Again I was told they hadn't received approval from customs for the return but that they would push for an update.

That was this morning - I just received a call from my wife that she had received the package from FedEx (and signed for it!). I saw on another post on here that FedEx will typically pay the customs charge and then invoice the receiver of the goods - so I presume we can expect a letter from FedEx in the next couple of days/weeks?
Our position still hasn't changed - we still want to return the goods - should there be a problem with this - or, because my wife has signed for and accepted the package is there no getting away from it?

Thanks

T

It would be unusual to just send an item back to the vendor without establishing what procedures they have in place or even if they accept returns. Some US vendors have an "all sales are final" stipulation. Most sellers will need to issue a Return Materials Authorisation (RMA) before they will accept returned goods from a purchaser. Amazon do this very well indeed, a slickly oiled procedure, pre-printed labels the lot *but* you gotta ask first and you must use the carrier they nominate.

It may not be too late to do this just ask the seller.

When your wife purchased the items she most likely clicked a box saying "I agree to the terms and conditions"

These terms and conditions would state that she understands that local taxes and duties may apply and she would be responsible for them.

As the site is not in the EU, the distance selling regs don't apply and the website probably also has a condition that she is responsible for all costs of returning.

I learnt long ago to always read terms and conditions (especially cancelation / returns) before ticking that little box.

Don't be too disheartened. My lesson nearly cost me €100,000 (tracker Mortgage)

The vendor will accept it back no problem (she has already contacted them). We have no problem paying the cost of FedEx returning the item (you might take this as an indication of just how costly the Customs bill is). My worry is about getting the bill from Customs for goods received and then if I return the goods, are we still liable to pay customs or if not how do we prove to them that we have returned the item?

Once you've proof of the item being returned, you can claim refund of the customs:
[broken link removed]

I'm assuming when you created the account, that FedEx have charged you the customs amount?

i am puzzled if your wife had not signed for it what would have happened to package ? would it not have been returned?

Back