Current public sentiment towards the housing market?

Status
Not open for further replies.
StoppedClock said:
IMHO House Prices will continue to rise until banks stop lending ever increasing amounts of money, irrespective of general sentiment - that simple. As long as prices are not actually falling there will always be at least enough “savvy Investors” to queue in the rain for their 800 square feet of Irish paradise. However once these people can simply no longer get the mortgages the tipping point will be reached, then there will be a gradual slowdown in sales and commensurate deterioration in confidence. We all know the rest…

So far banks have achieved this exponential money supply with ever more exotic mortgage products (read slack lending criteria) and constantly made fools of people (me) predicting that the end of easy money was nigh. Now once again with the latest in a series of IRR, we have what should be the catalyst for an end to the increases but I heard one of the UB clowns on News talk saying that the institutions may not pass this rise on to the borrowers. I find this Interesting on two points; firstly how fat must their margins be that they do not need to pass them on and secondly they must reason that they are now in fact approaching the limit of what they can lend by extending terms, giving higher percentages, self certification etc. etc. etc.) - . My guess is they’ll try and keep life in the market for the next selling season while they quietly continue their exit from property themselves.
8th time lucky on my prediction?
my point of view exactly. nicely put,by the way.
but would point out that the banks are probably playing the end game now-such as selling off their branch offices,, encouraging more people to use internet banking,etc.-while the rest of the amateur investors are still playing the middlegame.

bearishbull said:
Interesting, Irish house prices didnt rise in real terms between 1979 and 1995! Investors who bought then were in for the rental yield but have now also gotten massive capital appreciation,they deserve the capital gains!

The study also states that in all the markets studied, house prices returned to pre boom levels (in real terms). I expect that some of the inflation in Irish house prices in the early days of the boom was based on demographic fundamentals, the rest was speculation. My prediction a fall in house prices of 50%-60% over five-six years.

I'm having a quiet weekend this weekend (unusual) and I can't wait to see the Sunday papers. It will be very interesting to see the views of the mainstream media (as opposed to AAM). I do think though that we're slightly ahead of the game on here.

Fair play to you 'thewatcher' for recognising the madness and going against the grain of popular opinion (or Sunday Independent-speak) - i'd say it wasn't easy to sell, but fair balls to you all the same. Also, I'm absolutely fascinated by this thread!

Wouldn't it be great if someone wrote a comedy sketch with a banker, developer and politician meeting to discuss how on earth they are going to keep the property game going as more and more people are catching on to their racket ?

Perhaps it's just my sense of humour but I would find it very funny to read them uncomfortably try to reassure each other with all the usual property cliches but knowing well that the game is almost up!

Maybe a few people could pool together a donation of cash for the best written sketch (put some of that loose credit to good use for a change) !

Heres a novel idea that just occurred to me. What if, despite all the good reasons to the contrary, market sentiment just doesn't swing? Interest rates go to 5 and 6 percent, the banks stop giving out large loans on good terms, the immigrants all leave and the rental market collapses? A lot of people might be forced to sell at a loss, due to high repayments, but where else could they get credit? What about all the loan consolidation companies, credit unions, other sources of funding (perhaps foreign)? Would friends and family chip in and help with repayments?

There is no doubt in my mind whatsoever that a bubble exists, and a huge one at that. Properties are ten to fifteen times wages, average couples going to buy a house together will live for a decade in penury just to have a stable place to live, and there are 275,000 houses sitting empty, pushing up the market price by an enormous amount.

But is it possible that this bubble could drag on despite everything? Ultimately the higher they go, the farther they will fall, and at the end of the day, if you can't pay, you're out, but are there other sources of easy credit that might have been overlooked?

Edit: reading back over that, I realised I have just described a gambling addicts behaviour.

are you staying in Dublin / happy with your house...if you are, then I wouldn't sell as the high transaction costs of re-entry are the big gamble here.
Your mortgage is 1,500 - is this IO? If not then the interest portion is comparible to the rental amount of 1,200 and not the entire 1,500.

In Rathgar area, on a repayment , not IO . Happy here for the mo- but 32 yrs old- looking towards having a family , in a top floor apartment - no lift etc. !

JohnBoy said:
I wonder if the Irish media will be able to talk the country into a property slowdown just like the UK media did about 3/4 years ago. Then the UK media began to run increasingly bearish articles on the state of the property market and this coincided with the BoE tightening the monetary screws (just as the ECB is doing now).

I was living in the UK then and the mainstream press had become obsessed with the upward trajectory of property prices. As with present day Ireland however, the property bears were moving from the fringe (the Economist & the FT) to the mainstream (the Daily Mail etc).

What appears to have happened then was a suddend realisation by both buyers and sellers that the go-go days may be drawing to a close and in turn this seems to have prompted some more realistic pricing by both parties. Consequently activity slowed and the balance of power shifted in favour of the buyers - the country did see some house price deflation but no crash as the economy was still ticking along nicely. Since then house price inflation has substantially moderated and the country is getting used to house price gwoth of inflation + 2%/4%.

I an just wondering if all this talk of a property crash in the Irish media may actually precipitate a slowdown before external factors (such as interest rates of a global economic slowdown) really begin to bite? Certainly anecdotal evidence (presented in earlier posts) seems to indicate that this indeed may be the case.

Fully agree ! well put....

murray said:
Fully agree ! well put....

There's so many in it for capital appreciation i doubt it,new estate up the road from me "for sale" signs going up on duplex's only just finished, there's flippers all over the shop.
If this figure for 275,000 empty properties which i find hard to believe myself is even remotely true then you can forget about a soft landing.

thewatcher said:
If this figure for 275,000 empty properties which i find hard to believe myself is even remotely true then you can forget about a soft landing.

It's true. The census enumerators make an explicit difference between a house where they couldn't get an answer and a house that is vacant. For example, they may talk to neighbours and discover nobody has lived there for over three months etc. Having spoke to several enumerators working in several different areas - many of whom did the same job during the last census - their two main comments were:

- My God, just look at how many new houses there are!
- Christ, just how many of them are empty?

I know one guy who having completed the census practically strong-armed his father into selling an investment property he owned. His thinking was that with that many vacant properties, a crash is pretty much unavoidable.

Even allowing for 10% margin of error, it is still a staggering number of empty properties. Most people are simply refusing to believe it and assume there is an error.

room305 said:
It's true. The census enumerators make an explicit difference between a house where they couldn't get an answer and a house that is vacant. For example, they may talk to neighbours and discover nobody has lived there for over three months etc. Having spoke to several enumerators working in several different areas - many of whom did the same job during the last census - their two main comments were:

- My God, just look at how many new houses there are!
- Christ, just how many of them are empty?

I know one guy who having completed the census practically strong-armed his father into selling an investment property he owned. His thinking was that with that many vacant properties, a crash is pretty much unavoidable.

Even allowing for 10% margin of error, it is still a staggering number of empty properties. Most people are simply refusing to believe it and assume there is an error.

It is an incredible figure which because it is so high most people will dismiss. What I find hard to believe is how so many investors manage to pay off more than one property. It takes an incredible amount of cash flow to service more than one loan especially if the second property is not producing any income. As property is such an illiquid asset this could further exacerbate problems further down the line if there is a herd mentality and there is a rush to the exit doors.....

I have no sympathy for these flippers as they are trying to make money in a market which they do not fully understand. I wonder will many of them cut and run in the short term or will they try and hold out for some sap to come along and bail them out at an inflated price

beattie said:
I have no sympathy for these flippers as they are trying to make money in a market which they do not fully understand. I wonder will many of them cut and run in the short term or will they try and hold out for some sap to come along and bail them out at an inflated price

Looking at anecdotal evidence from Florida, most walk out on their "risk premium" (i.e. the deposit paid to developer) if the property becomes hard to sell. They don't want to hold it for any significant length of time because it would produce cash flow problems. The developer can then sell at market value - deposit without losing out at all. However, this only exasperates problems for others trying to sell at the previous market price ...

Wollie said:
It annoys me to think that of the two big investment decisions I made in the 1990s, one to start up my own business, the other to buy a new house, the house has probably increased in value faster. I put my whole life into one investment, while I just sat on my backside for the other, yet the one where I just sat back has probably done better. That can't be right.

It can't be right and it isn't right. My heart bleeds for you man. It's crazy that our own house has appreciated more in two years than than both myself and my girlfriend could earn through working. No wonder people have become lazy and greedy with respect to property - they are financially rewarded for it!

Be happy that the tide will turn eventually, prepare yourself for it and try your best to prepare your kids for it too. Tell whoever has bought to try and reduce their mortgage sum as much as possible and tell anyone who hasn't bought to simply hold off.

Well according to the Belfast Telegraph agents are reporting price drops in Dublin.

Despite industry sources having described the Irish property boom as "phenomenal", recent anecdotal evidence from the Irish Auctioneers and Valuers Association (IAVA) sparked controversy by suggesting some properties in popular areas of Dublin had to reduce their prices dramatically in a bid to clinch a sale.

Fintan McNamara, IAVA chief executive, said a number of its members had reported a significant drop in some property prices.
"An average three-bed semi in the inner suburbs of Dublin that was selling at Easter for 700,000 (£479,956 euro) is now selling for 20,000 euro (£13,714) less," said Mr McNamara.

And those trying to sell recently constructed homes are having the same problems with the owners of a three-bed terraced house in AddisonPark, Glasnevin, who have been asked to reduce the priced by a massive 75,000 euro (£51,429) to generate interest, according to the Institute's spokesman.

Bit out of the blue?

[broken link removed]

Duplex said:
Bit out of the blue?

Certainly. Especially when the properties quoted are ones where you would expect there to be continued pressure - the trader-upper market. Maybe it is just a lure to get hesitant buyers to come in from the sidelines?

Since the IAVA have been calling a soft-landing for a while now so I can only assume they actively want it to happen and are actually not seeing it happening at all.

A case of trying to talk the market out of going supernova?

room305 said:
A case of trying to talk the market out of going supernova?

I think IAVI chief executive is right, asking prices are coming down in the trade-up market. We're trading up and regularly seeing asking prices coming down now.

Same House Example...

Old Listing from a few months back: €565,000
[broken link removed]

New Listing this Thursday: €550,000
[broken link removed]

The market is definitely weakening.

Edit: I agree room305, they're probably trying to talk the market into a soft landing rather than a meltdown.

Would it be reasonable to assume that when the market crashes, or a period thereafter, whichever Government is in power would be under pressure to reduce re-entry costs such as stamp duty etc?

[LEFT said:
Hibernicatio[/LEFT]]Would it be reasonable to assume that when the market crashes, or a period thereafter, whichever Government is in power would be under pressure to reduce re-entry costs such as stamp duty etc?

The UK government reduced stamp duty in 1992 two years into the crash there. Not unreasonable to assume that the Irish government would come under pressure to do the same.

Why does myhome leave the two different prices up on its site?

That telegraph story is just a rehash of the irish indo story a few weeks ago. Asking prices got ahead of themselves and those wanting to sell soon have be forced to curb their asking price to lure the viewers in in the quiet summer season but prices are still growing im sure. Untill i see several houses in such location sell for less than a comparable house did previously i wont beleive a correction is underway.

bearishbull said:
Untill i see several houses in such location sell for less than a comparable house did previously i wont beleive a correction is underway.

Until I see several houses in such location sell for more than a comparable house did previously i wont believe that a correction is not underway.

This did not happen last summer, sentiment has changed IMO

bearishbull said:
Why does myhome leave the two different prices up on its site?

That telegraph story is just a rehash of the irish indo story a few weeks ago. Asking prices got ahead of themselves and those wanting to sell soon have be forced to curb their asking price to lure the viewers in in the quiet summer season but prices are still growing im sure. Untill i see several houses in such location sell for less than a comparable house did previously i wont beleive a correction is underway.

Agree, one swallow doesn't make a summer ..... but the correction has to start somewhere and it is quite interesting that this reduction is in D9 and not somewhere beyond the Pale. I have seen many houses remain on the market in Waterford for a period of months now. I believe the asking prices have remained quite static but reality could start setting in and closing prices could be lower. It would be good to see if there are any other instances of reductions happening (I don't spend time on myhome so I can't help!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back