Current public sentiment towards the housing market?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bedsit said:
I'd have to laugh at that :rolleyes:. I wonder where he got his PhD from? Maybe it was from "Pacific Western University", the the same place where the previous government chief scientific advisor Barry McSweeney got his from.

Chief Economist, ABN AMRO Dan obtained his Masters Degree in Economics from Birkbeck College London, before going on to complete a PH.D at Queen Mary College, where he developed a model of the Irish economy. He worked in the City of London in the 1980's, latterly as a Senior Economist for the Midland Bank (now HSBC), before returning to Ireland to take up the post of chief economist at Riada Stockbrokers, now ABN AMRO Stockbrokers. He has written extensively on economic and financial issues and is a well-known commentator on the Irish economy.

Sounds well qualified to me.

I think Dan McLaughlin is a good economist I'd just wonder if his reports are really what he thinks, or if they have been coloured somewhat by the little matter of who is paying his monthly cheque.

liteweight said:
Most people do not buy their first home with a view to investment..they buy it to live and raise a family in. Therefore, they are talking about staying put for 5 yrs. or more. Who knows what will happen in the market during that time?
Unfortunally, Liteweight, most people in the last 5 years bought "just to get on the ladder", any ladder.

I does'nt matter how qualified he is, the proof is in the pudding and he has been consistently wrong on the scale of interest rate rises in the eurozone.

Raskolnikov said:
At April of this year when rates were 2.5%, he predicted rates of 3.5% by Spring 2007 which is exactly what the present forecast is.
And so did everyone else for that matter!!

The guy is just a mouthpiece for BoI. He is hardly going to tell us that the "Sky is about to fall"

room305 said:
I think Dan McLaughlin is a good economist I'd just wonder if his reports are really what he thinks, or if they have been coloured somewhat by the little matter of who is paying his monthly cheque.
I can't believe the opinions of some of the blinkered armchair economists here. Dan McLaughlin is an extremely qualified economist with one of Ireland's leading banks. I imagine that the Bank of Ireland would employ similarily talented financiers, analysts and modellers to draw up the reports that they produce. Unless I see evidence to the contrary, they generally get things right. However, daft.ie's very own Chief Economist; Ronan Lyons (a student who has only just completed his MSc in economics) runs a one man effort using only the asking prices of daft.ie properties; lo and behold, we have the barstoolers here proclaiming the jig is up! Property crash imminent!

Contrarian said:
I does'nt matter how qualified he is, the proof is in the pudding and he has been consistently wrong on the scale of interest rate rises in the eurozone.
Back this up please.

cjh said:
Present forecast is 3.5% by December 2006.
Did you not read what I said? The man predicted 3.5% by Spring 2007.

The rates hikes between now and then will come October 1st and December 1st. Unless we see a rate hike in January, his prediction will be correct.

Raskolnikov said:
we have the barstoolers here proclaiming the jig is up! Property crash imminent!

Beg to differ. This bar stool has a MSc in Economics from a very good Canadian university. I also get PAID to provide my advice... of course my advice on here is gratis :)

I'm a postgrad at the London School of Economics at the moment, am also an Oxonian and am training to be a pro futures trader so armchair economist I ain't.

Raskolnikov said:
I can't believe the opinions of some of the blinkered armchair economists here. Dan McLaughlin is an extremely qualified economist with one of Ireland's leading banks. I imagine that the Bank of Ireland would employ similarily talented financiers, analysts and modellers to draw up the reports that they produce. Unless I see evidence to the contrary, they generally get things right. However, daft.ie's very own Chief Economist; Ronan Lyons (a student who has only just completed his MSc in economics) runs a one man effort using only the asking prices of daft.ie properties; lo and behold, we have the barstoolers here proclaiming the jig is up! Property crash imminent!
Uhem, just so as we're clear, I don't see the game as being up just yet. But I do think that the players are irrational. There is a slight difference, whether you like it or not.

That's one point.

Second point is BOI are not an unbiased party. They are, like most/all of the banks in this country drawing great profits out of mortgage interest. Once the property market begins to slow up, then the year on year growth is likely to slow up as well, even allowing for interest rate rises. As such, while I wouldn't necessarily disbelieve what Dan McLaughlin has to say, I would still consider it within the remit of the following 1) other economists 2) ongoing house price data reports which are interestingly not singing from the same hymnsheets 3) some anecdotal evidence and 4) other related business news which may have a knock on effect.

"Unless I see evidence to the contrary, they generally get things right."
this sounds like an article of faith to be honest with you.

The voices saying that the property market is heading for a, uhem, correction, are starting to get louder. The Independent is even starting to change its tune a little, although that's probably a business move on their part. In other words, the atmosphere and sentiment in the housing market has, pretty much definitely, changed. The economists can quote all the figures they want, but figures do not equal sentiment, and sentiment is what is being discussed here.

What I would like to see these much vaunted banking economists come out with are projected figures on;

1) the impact of a soft landing in housing/construction on the wider economy.
2) the impact of a major correction on the wider economy
3) the impact on the housing market of the exit from the Irish economy of either Dell or Intel.

Banks are in the business of making money. That is why we have so much consumer debt in this country. It is not in the long term interest of the economy however, but it is in the long term interest of the banks provided that the debt can be serviced. As such, I see that the interests of the BOI diverge from the wider interests of the country, and therefore, the views of its highly paid economists must be seen in that context.

As for the guy from DAFT - well he runs a pretty decent business there. As to whether he's right or not - I have some doubts but that's not because I think that the softlanding has arrived. It's because I have some doubts that there will be a soft landing, based purely on the fact that we are unlikely to see salary inflation of a level required to rebalance the house price/salary ratio which is currently not all that sensible, seeing as it varies between 9:1 and 12:1 depending on what set of figures you use. A more rational level would be around 6:1 and preferentially 4:1 but i guess that's too much to ask for at this stage.

Howitzer said:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/5241974.stm

That's quite big news as it wasn't really an expected move and has been made to combat inflation. Stand up to the plate W2DW or are you loading up the truck with bullion as we speak?

This is absolutely HUGE news. I will have to digest this! Maybe 9/10 of analysts might have got this wrong...

[As for my gold position, last Friday and last Monday were big buying days for me-- increased my exposure by 4.7 percentage points... further discussion on the gold thread later...]

macbri said:
I can never understand this and would be happy renting 4 the rest of my life(gives me flexibility,choice and less financial pressure)

But if you retire (i.e. stop working for income) at 65(or70) and don't own a house you'll be paying rent from pension/savings possibly for the next 30+ years, whereas if you own a house (in full) you don't have this old age cost.

CelloPoint said:
I'm laughing at the comparison of Dublin with Vienna, Rotterdam, Helsinki, Copenhagen. A population comparison is certainly valid, but in terms of cultural sophistication and taste we are still muck-savages (just take a look at Dublin, Galway, Cork on a typical Saturday night and you'll get a flavour for the kind of 'culture' of the neuve riche).
Dublin is a hell of a long way from Vienna, Rotterdam, Helsinki, Copenhagen, Sydney, Melbourne - and that's just culture; don't get me started on infrastructure, economic governance and public accountability...
The grass is always greener eh? As I stated earlier - why do you stay?? I have no problem with your overall analysis on the irish housing, i agree, it's overvalued, but your constant denigration of irish society and your elitist attitude becomes a little grating after a while.

liteweight said:
As suggested, I think by Brendan, in another post. Which risk are people willing to take..the fact that house prices will drop and you'll be able to buy cheaply, or will they stay level and even rise?

To my mind I'd buy because if a FTB is stretched now, and prices continue to rise, then all hope of buying is gone. Most people do not buy their first home with a view to investment..they buy it to live and raise a family in. Therefore, they are talking about staying put for 5 yrs. or more. Who knows what will happen in the market during that time?

From what I can gather, the general advice from these boards is to buy if (a) you have found a place you are prepared to live in for the next 5 years at least and (b) if you can comfortably afford the payments. But not to buy just to “get on the ladder”. (Am I reading the sentiment right?)

macbri said:
Presumably its' so called 'generation Y' people born between 1978 to 1994.

They recently published a study in Australia which concluded that this generation only wants instant satisfaction not long term values/commitment.

And how does this make them different from young people of any other generation? It’s the Gen-Xers – you know, the slackers who sang along when Kurt Cobain said he hated himself and wanted to die – who are fuelling the current FTB panic. As well as those “rock-n-roll kids” who used to worry their parents with those crazy Beatles haircuts, and who are now buying up second and third properties as a pension investment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back