Current public sentiment towards the housing market?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder if the "Economist for Hire" brigade Hughes, McGlaughlin, Power, et al drew straws to see which patsy would hold the line while the others switched tack to salvage some of their reputation, Hughes drew the short straw.

A friend of mine works in one of the building societies and he told me that they know that Hughes spouts crap. It's a pity that alot of lemmings lap up his 'advice'

For what it’s worth: 4 houses went for sale on our estate in the last month to 6 weeks….

Two detached four beds (side by side)……
One semi-detached 4 bed
One extended semi-detached 3 bed.

All went Sale Agreed last week. The 3 bed was sold in 48 hours for a strong price above the asking price (which I thought was very high). I asked the EA handling the sale why it went so quick and they did say it was exceptional……

Well i for one dont believe for a second the vacancy rate of 15% touted by this and many said subject experts when it comes to accomodation in dublin.

Yesterday i uploaded an apartment in city centre to daft and within 3 hours it had 500 views. Recieved around 35 people who wanted to look at the apartment. Had it rented out to the first two people to look at it at seven o clock last night.

I think these vacancies must only exist in leitrim section 23's cause people are crying out for accomodation in dublin.

My 2 cents and too cap it off i am a bear so figure the above!

If i had 10 apartments yesterday they would have been instantly rented this is not the same scenario in other cities not by a longshot...

IE: London..

Quote:
Originally Posted by whathome
She was Marian Finnegan from Sherry Fitzgerald - selling houses.
And Austin Hughes is from IIB bank - selling mortgages.

Exactly. One of those two telling us not to buy a house would be like the chairman of Ford telling us to give up our cars and take public transport.
Totally agree
Vested interests the whole way - but at least they had a "bear" on who at least was articulate and measured and IMO totally handed Austin Hughes his pants - that is course , if you can see past the usual vague platitudes and cliches that Hughes is repeating over ad nauseum - (if you keep saying sometime over and over again -folks will finally take it as gospel - its wearing a bit thin now)

I look forward to the next time they decide to discuss the drugs problem that they will have the Colombian drug cartels and the Taliban on to give the vested interest perspective and some objective balance!!!

Originally Posted by partisan
We are over exposed to the construction sector. At the same time Multi National investment here has made us the most productive workers in Europe. Even as costs have risen, it hasn't stopped them coming (Google, Amazon etc, etc). There also seems to be some uptake in local entrepreneurial activity. A surprisingly large proportion of people I know are starting companies at the at the moment. The business parks round Dublin are booming, and people seem to have no problem finding jobs.

the most productive workers in Europe - Total and utter rubbish

how do supposedly intelligent people buy this bull!! - the most productive workers in the Irish Economy are in the Multinational and Export sector - yes thats correct - but when taking the country as a whole and the fact that the vast majority of jobs created since 2001 have been in the domestic/public sector - the rest of the ye lazy gits** bring the total productivity of the nation down to a middle rank - The most productive workers in Europe are the Germans and have been for ages , closely followed by the scandanavians - remember productivity isn't the total hours worked -its the value of that work in the end - German workers ,despite shorter working hours , longer holidays - accomplish far more of worth per hour than the Irish or the British- the supposedly more active economies of Europe - They are still the largest and biggest exporters in the world , invest as much in R/D every year as we do in houses lately, and still manage to have the cash to pay for the reconstruction of Eastern Europe (the Germans fund nearly 80% of the EU Budget), pay off inefficient french and southern European farmers , and still pay over 50% of Ireland structural upgrading - even tho We're "such a rich country"

** Present company excepted of course!

Last edited:
Edo,

Please refrain from using self censored expletives on AAM.

Try to keep on topic. The state of the general economy can be discussed in this other thread.

aj

Fair enough on the language

However I totally disagree with you in relation to the content - the housing market and the economy are siamese twins in Ireland at the moment - I was just replying to a point made earlier justifying a postive position on market sentiment - I didn't notice them being censured.

Ok, The Elusive Soft Landing thread has been shut down, (should be in another thread apparently)

So I had 105 views and no one responded can we therefore conclude that no one believes that this is a credible option?

Dear Mr. Myhome.ie,

Please increase your results default upper limit of 150 to a more user-friendly figure so avid voyeurs of your wonderful site can more easily see true inventories for particular areas.

Regards

Fredser

Looks like they acted on your request!!!
Due to record inventory in the market, MyHome have changed their system and increased the area limit from 150 to 300.

236 for sale in Lucan
[broken link removed]

163 for sale in Swords:
[broken link removed]

Morning all.

I did see Prime Time last night, it was interesting viewing. I think people are viewing all this house purchasing in the investors eyes, especially on this thread. What if prices slide, what if they continue to grow at previous rates etc. The market is under pinned by the FTB. There is a strong desire in this country to own the home in which you live. FTB were holding out with the pronouncements of Michael MCDowell.Brian Cowan has now put these firmly to bed. Also ECB rates have gone up over the past year which has increased the proportion of purchasers income on repayments. These repayments are still managable with perhaps one more to come. I don't think there are many contributors on this thread who have kids and just want a home to call their own.

I don't think there are many contributors on this thread who have kids and just want a home to call their own.

That's quite a sweeping statement and even if it was true, what has that got to do with an individuals ability to debate "Current public sentiment towards the housing market"? Should we limit expression of opinion to parents that own or want to own their own home? I'm a home-owning parent but that doesn't influence my opinion on the property market.

If house prices were at value (I think they are currently overvalued by at least 15% but probably (hopefully!) not much more than 25%) - 7% would sound reasonable. The economy is growing at over 5% (this year), GNP growth is outpacing GDP growth for the first time in a very long time. That means there should be around 5% more wealth in the local economony, add in inflation (decrease in the real value of money), forget about current sentiment and price levels and 7% seems possible!

You're mistaking price inflation with wage inflation. Only one of these matters when it comes to house prices.

Are wages going to increase at a rate of 7% per-year?

Not at all WHATHOME. I'm just making the point that homes are not viewed as commodities to be bought and sold when markets rise and fall by every one. This opinion is not represented on this thread.

Not at all WHATHOME. I'm just making the point that homes are not viewed as commodities to be bought and sold when markets rise and fall by every one. This opinion is not represented on this thread.

Most posters here are discussing the property market. I think you underestimate the ability of people on this thread to differentiate between commodity and property markets.

There is a strong desire in this country to own the home in which you live. FTB were holding out with the pronouncements of Michael MCDowell.Brian Cowan has now put these firmly to bed. Also ECB rates have gone up over the past year which has increased the proportion of purchasers income on repayments. These repayments are still managable with perhaps one more to come. I don't think there are many contributors on this thread who have kids and just want a home to call their own.

OK... long time reader, first (and maybe only) time poster - I really have to reply to the above...
Disclaimer - We have a young family, have a very strong double income and have good savings so have means to buy but...

have a look at this place, there is insanity, insanity squared and then there are Dublin property prices

there is only one thing to consider if you are a bull, do really think that there is such a thing as too high a price? it seems many people believe there is actually no price too high, if that is the case we arent in a bubble we have left the realm of economics and have gone to the mad house
because if you cant understand the basic concept of overpaying - ie no matter how much you pay now it isnt a bad price because sooner or matter your property will be worth alot more - then you need to totally relearn economics basic principles

maybe Im a bit late with this post, people are copping on that property isnt a one-way elevator to your dreams but probably dont yet understand the financial weapons of mass destruction that have proliferated willynilly here and I dont think people realise how far prices are going to fall and how long this pain is going to last

the supply figures speak for themselves, there is actually no need for anyone to scream 'sell sell sell for godsake sell before its too late'

Most posters here are discussing the property market. I think you underestimate the ability of people on this thread to differentiate between commodity and property markets.

I think the property market is behaving more and more like a commodity market because Irish people are treating it more and more like a commodity market.

There is a strong desire in this country to own the home in which you live. FTB were holding out with the pronouncements of Michael MCDowell.Brian Cowan has now put these firmly to bed. Also ECB rates have gone up over the past year which has increased the proportion of purchasers income on repayments. These repayments are still managable with perhaps one more to come. I don't think there are many contributors on this thread who have kids and just want a home to call their own.

OK... long time reader, first (and maybe only) time poster - I really have to reply to the above...
Disclaimer - We have a young family, have a very strong double income and have good savings so have means to buy but...

have a look at this place, there is insanity, insanity squared and then there are Dublin property prices

there is only one thing to consider if you are a bull, do really think that there is such a thing as too high a price? it seems many people believe there is actually no price too high, if that is the case we arent in a bubble we have left the realm of economics and have gone to the mad house
because if you cant understand the basic concept of overpaying - ie no matter how much you pay now it isnt a bad price because sooner or matter your property will be worth alot more - then you need to totally relearn economics basic principles

maybe Im a bit late with this post, people are copping on that property isnt a one-way elevator to your dreams but probably dont yet understand the financial weapons of mass destruction that have proliferated willynilly here and I dont think people realise how far prices are going to fall and how long this pain is going to last

the supply figures speak for themselves, there is actually no need for anyone to scream 'sell sell sell for godsake sell before its too late'

I don't think there are many contributors on this thread who have kids and just want a home to call their own.

well heres one contributor right here , i dont own a house but i do live in rented apt that is my home and won't be buying into this market for a LOOOONNNNG time as will none of my friends either until some sanity returns]

and apart form anything else the majority of the speculative nature in this bubble was caused by "normal joe soaps" who live in one home become amateur speculative investors

I think you under estimate most posters ability to read view points and not get their back up, but some expressing an opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back