Current public sentiment towards the housing market?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks like builders are making a real push to get developments on the market ASAP. Anecdotal evidence of them working until after 10pm and starting before 7AM. Poster comments that they all seem to be under pressure at the moment:

I wouldn't blame them for trying to get them on the market ASAP. If I were a shareholder in one of these companies I would hope they could bank as much money as possible before they have to start throwing in the kinds of perks that they are doing in the US in an attempt to offload them

But it's dark by 7.30, 8, already...

Yep - it was mentioned on this thread previously by someone saying they had heard that builders/developers were in a rush to get projects moving ahead of continued interest rate rises.

If I was a developer, I would want my project on the market yesterday! Edit: Well April just gone really :)

Extract from todays IT regarding SD changes they want

The Institute of Professional Auctioneers and Valuers recently said that the tax thresholds must be widened in the December budget to ease the pressure on homebuyers struggling with higher prices and rising interest rates.

Yep - it was mentioned on this thread previously by someone saying they had heard that builders/developers were in a rush to get projects moving ahead of continued interest rate rises.

If I was a developer, I would want my project on the market yesterday! Edit: Well April just gone really :)

Yeah, the point about builders being in a mad rush to finish their developments has been made before. I guess the longer it takes them to build the development, the greater their risk exposure.

Some observations of mine in relation to this rush: poor quality building work and a huge temporary demand for labour.

Ireland.com Journalist said:
The Institute of Professional Auctioneers and Valuers recently said that the tax thresholds must be widened in the December budget to ease the pressure on homebuyers struggling with higher prices and rising interest rates.

I don't think you're allowed to quote entire articles here.

This is the interesting bit. Taxes go (or are supposed to go) to the greater good. The greater good would be served by prices coming down, but a reduction in stamp duty for FTBs and indeed, most taxation measures to improve the lot of poverty stricken FTBs has always resulted in higher prices and therefore no impact on the amount of money they have to cough up.

I'd have more faith in the IPAV if they recognised that the gap between salary inflation and house price inflation is unsustainable.

Here's one in Laois that dropped in the last while:

Old price €380,000 (cached July 13th)

New Price €365,000

However here is one in Dublin that has increased in the last few months...

Old Price €418,000 (from April) - 3rd one down.

New Price €495,000 (today)
[broken link removed]=

Last edited:

[broken link removed]

Yep - I know about this one, it's been for sale since the start of the year, and I can see why - it's absolutely tiny and stuck at the end of a row right beside a very busy road. The vendor has changed auctioneer and raised the price in an attempt to renew interest! I've seen a few cases where a house has not sold but the price has risen - generally it's where it had been sale agreed at a higher figure but the buyer backs out and the vendor is loath to put it back on at the original price.

Interesting post on Investment:

Would be interesting to see if this does come in to play.

In my opinion this is the only thing they can do now,the second hand market is going to collaspe first taking everything else with it.
By doing something for owner occupiers of secondhand properties it will at least give some buyoancy to the upper end of that market because at the moment the stampduty rates are just crazy.
The builders are not going to like this though as there will be far less competition for new builds.
Doing something for FTB's now i think is irrelevant as most of them have already jumped in early to "get on the ladder".

The limit's are the key if they set ridiculous levels,like they did for FTB's buying secondhand properties,this will only serve to increase prices up to the limits,they have to be realistic about the levels.They can't try and keep the market going and get their pound of flesh at the same time.

Yep - I know about this one, it's been for sale since the start of the year, and I can see why - it's absolutely tiny and stuck at the end of a row right beside a very busy road. The vendor has changed auctioneer and raised the price in an attempt to renew interest! I've seen a few cases where a house has not sold but the price has risen - generally it's where it had been sale agreed at a higher figure but the buyer backs out and the vendor is loath to put it back on at the original price.

Have to say I thought that the size was a misprint. A detached house but less than 900sq feet, shocking really!

Have to say I thought that the size was a misprint. A detached house but less than 900sq feet, shocking really!

I've driven past it and it looks really weird. To me it looks like the owner might have had a nice house to begin with but left it in the dryer too long and it shrunk.

Could it be that this was a side garden of the house beside it and the owner built on his plot and created a new house - hence the 32A...
I could be off the mark on that though - just guessing.

Could it be that this was a side garden of the house beside it and the owner built on his plot and created a new house - hence the 32A...

You're correct - when I saw it first I couldn't believe that they had been given planning permission. It doesn't even come close to matching the style of the original house beside it and it's shoehorned into the garden.

Thats what I thought too when I saw the picture.

[broken link removed]=

From the add,

This is a stunning and unique 3 bedroom detached family home presented to the market in excellent condition.

stun (st[broken link removed]n) Pronunciation Key [broken link removed] [broken link removed]
tr.v. stunned, stun·ning, stuns
  1. To daze or render senseless, by or as if by a blow.
  2. To overwhelm or daze with a loud noise.
  3. To stupefy, as with the emotional impact of an experience; astound. See Synonyms at daze.
n. A blow or shock that stupefies.

Heard on the news that the PDs were talking about introducing measures for FTBs to pay for Stamp Duty over the life of the mortgage instead of u front...what muppets...what do you think FTBs are going to do when the hear this???

WAIT

Firefly

The US slowdown is starting to hit employment in the real estate sector. Their run lasted five years.

NEW YORK (Reuters) - They are jumping ship or receiving the pink slip. America's real estate agents and mortgage lenders, that is.
Now that the glory days of the most recent U.S. housing market are over, its deterioration is taking a toll on employees who profited from its record-breaking five-year run.
Real estate industry job cut announcements totaled 3,033 year-to-date through August, a nearly 96 percent surge over the same period in 2005, according to Challenger, Gray & Christmas, Inc., an employment consulting firm based in Chicago.
The mortgage lending industry has not fared much better, with layoff announcements totaling 8,513 during the same period, a rise of over 70 percent year-over-year, according to data provided by the company.
http://news.moneycentral.msn.com/provider/providerarticle.asp?feed=OBR&Date=20060917&ID=6027640

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back