Current public sentiment towards the housing market?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I noticed that doing a myhome search in Lucan returns more that the results limit of 150, I've never seen this before. I know that the results can be limited by bedrooms, price etc but if I was a seller, I would be worried that my house doesn't even show up on a general Lucan search.

Nothing against Lucan by the way it's just the first time I've seen a general myhome search max out for one area. All areas seem to have had an increase in supply, not just Lucan.

You probably are in a better position than many posters here to gauge somewhat the sentiment of the current market. What impression did your EA give you? Have you been getting many queries ?
I understand you may not want to divulge much but have you learned more since beginning the process of selling ?

Only met with the REA yesterday but he doesn't seem to be anticipating a tough sell. His suggested asking price is higher than we expected and about 10% higher than the house was valued in May. He is quite confident that we'll get the asking price or even higher.

Now I am aware he could be talking up the price to get the sale but I assume this would be counterproductive since it will then sit on his books for longer. I don't have much experience of the RE game but I assume the general position is to talk down the expectations of the seller to below market price, talk up the price to above market price to the buyer and then sell at market price and everyone walks away thinking they've got a bargain.

I cannot see the advantage for him in unrealistically talking up our expectations.

Especially since he is pursuing a triple-whammy - sell our current house, sell us a new house and sell us the mortgage to finance it. So again, a quick sale is in his interest so I'm inclined to think the asking price may be close to what we will actually get for it.

I think you're confusing realism with negativity :)

Irish philosophy: problems exist => being a 'doom-monger', 'begrudger' etc, ignore problems until they grow too large to ignore anymore. Then panic.

N American philosophy: problems exist => adjust and make changes asap to nip the problem early.

Guess which philosophy makes for a better life?

Especially since he is pursuing a triple-whammy - sell our current house, sell us a new house and sell us the mortgage to finance it. So again, a quick sale is in his interest so I'm inclined to think the asking price may be close to what we will actually get for it.

Does he not know that your are STR? If not then nice! It will make a change for him to be taken for a ride

Edit : fed lies to harsh.

I noticed that doing a myhome search in Lucan returns more that the results limit of 150, I've never seen this before. I know that the results can be limited by bedrooms, price etc but if I was a seller, I would be worried that my house doesn't even show up on a general Lucan search.

Nothing against Lucan by the way it's just the first time I've seen a general myhome search max out for one area. All areas seem to have had an increase in supply, not just Lucan.
It was 138 on Tuesday evening, 144 around Lunchtime yesterday. This could be the pre season rush.

N American philosophy: problems exist => adjust and make changes asap to nip the problem early.

Guess which philosophy makes for a better life?

Now apply that philosophy to those living in Iraq after the "weapons of mass destruction problem existed'....that is if stand fully behind the idea that the US has it really all thought out! :rolleyes:

redo said:
It was 138 on Tuesday evening, 144 around Lunchtime yesterday. This could be the pre season rush.

Meaningless figures as your sample size is tiny. Also, there is no doubt in my mind that properties are managed through the daft.ie site so as to 'normalise' the statistics. There are estate agents involved with the site and the money to be made is huge, so why shoot yourself in the foot by providing a pin to prick the bubble?

I would honestly say that there's only a little bit of jittering in the market at the moment, with most people being completely naive and think that the celtic tiger is still roaring, the whole world loves us cos we're Irish and the bank manager is your best mate. The outsiders will have to be made learn the hard way, and the only way they'll learn is when they see the insiders fleeing that smoking house - even then, some people will refuse to believe it.

I'd say pubs, chemists and radio phone shows will do well in the future.

Now apply that philosophy to those living in Iraq after the "weapons of mass destruction problem existed'....that is if stand fully behind the idea that the US has it really all thought out! :rolleyes:

Sophistry is the other tactic of the head-in-sand crowd.. "ah sure.."

100,000 views, phew.

Is this the Outsiders Guide to Property Market Insider Thinking In Ireland ??

No fear? You'd want to hurry up!

Ah yes, I had forgotten about the impending December crash.

It won't happen but if it did I would definitely buy back in as it would invalidate everything I thought I knew about how housing market corrections work.

Have you thought about what exactly is going to cause this sudden clammer for the exits?

Be really interested to hear how the sale goes if you don't mind sharing your story as it unfolds?

I'll post a few pieces of information alright but nothing too revealing. Once I've sold I shall be happy to answer any questions anyone has.

Is sophistry not also a tactic applied to either side of any argument.

Sophistry is the other tactic of the head-in-sand crowd.. "ah sure.."

No ...not quite..... I'm testing the logic being applied in the 'ah sure the americans are always right!' point

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back