Cup of coffee from Aer Lingus

Can this not all be summed up in the following ways:
1. No one gets something for nothing - even a missionary nun, student, bank clerk or football fan.
2. Could her neighbour not have just paid over €2 for her?
3. It's always pretty clear you've to pay for refreshments on board unless you're informed otherwise. I was on an Aeroflot flight this year where everything except alcohol or cans of minerals were free, but I wished I'd handed back the cardboard, sorry sandwich.
Yes - excellent summary.

One time going over to London, something similar happened to me. The trolly-dollys came and offered me coffee. I said, yes please. Then your man said, "That will be 1.80". I laughed and gave it back to him.

To be fair to the cabin attendant, the coffee cups are counted and the till has to balance; its not her fault, and she was right to pas the coffee to a paying customer if that's what she did.

Although I think I would probably have paid for the nun's coffee if I was sitting near her in that situation (not because she was a nun, just because anyone can be caught short for change), I'm kind of glad that the time when religious orders got special treatment has faded into the past. If this was twenty years ago, the cabin staff would have been fawning over the nun and giving her preferential treatment.

Megan, You seemed pretty sure that it was standsted airport rather than heathrow originally( why did you not say London)?
Im not sure how long a flight is from Africa to London but i imagine its more than 8 hours between checking in, flight, and then all the same in London to get to Ireland? Did your friend not expect to purchase something in London at all that day? Did she not change her money in the airport there as she was about to fly home and this would have been a good opportunity to change her money and get a break/coffee?

It does sound like a bit of a tale but if its true then i am sorry that someone that has dedicated her life to helping the poor could not be shown a small bit of gratitude by in return. Im sure that if she was in uniform( habit etc) then the air hostess would have made allowances and quite rightly so.

Money Man
I have allready clarified that it was Heathrow to Dublin and not Standsted.
She was not wearing her habit and would not want any special treatment just because she is a nun.
I have also stated allready that it is the best of 10 years since this nun was on an aerplane and at that time drinks were free and I think that is where the problem was caused. When the hostess ask if she would like something from the trolly my friend said she would like a cup of coffee but was then ask for €2.00. Its not that she wanted to use Africian money it was that she thought the coffee was free. Unlike a lot of the posters on AAM - she is not flying every month or indeed every 12 months. She was abit naive - but not anymore.

I did always wonder how Aer Lingus managed to market themselves as the friendly airline. I have found much friendlier airline staff out there, ok there was also more unfriendly but not that many.
Maybe just me ?
Isn't €2 a bit expensive a price to pay for the gunk that they call coffee and the size of cup you get?

I confess I am amazed at how many posters here felt that the passenger got what she deserved, and how dare she expect something for nothing. Personally I feel that ALL airlines should provide a minimum level of catering for free (such as water (even tap water!), tea or coffee) and perhaps charge for 'anything stronger', particularly now as there are additional restrictions on fluids in excess of 100ml. Put an extra euro on the fares, and let passengers feel that they can get a drink of something, even if they don't have any money on them. However, even in the case above, very poor discretion was shown by the hostess in not simply allowing the drink as a once-off freebie! Who's gonna lose out? Who cares about a cup of coffee for God's sake? Look how much bad publicity it's generated!!

Personally I feel that ALL airlines should provide a minimum level of catering for free (such as water (even tap water!), tea or coffee)
Even in a 45 minute hop from London to Dublin? :confused:

Why not buy shares in one or more airlines and lobby for such usage of the company's resources?
Put an extra euro on the fares, and let passengers feel that they can get a drink of something, even if they don't have any money on them.
Why should non imbibers subsidise imbibers? As mentioned earlier if you want full service as regards food/drink you can usually pay a premium for it.
However, even in the case above, very poor discretion was shown by the hostess in not simply allowing the drink as a once-off freebie! Who's gonna lose out? Who cares about a cup of coffee for God's sake? Look how much bad publicity it's generated!!
Sounds to me like any passenger who could not pay would be treated the same way. The specifics of the individual's job/vocation are irrelevant in my opinion. I honestly can't see what the big deal is here. I don't consider it to reflect badly on the service provider in question at all.

I suppose the nun could have spat in the cup to see if that would mean that she could keep it.

Even in a 45 minute hop from London to Dublin? :confused:
Yes! It's not compulsory!

Why not buy shares in one or more airlines and lobby for such usage of the company's resources?

Why should non imbibers subsidise imbibers? As mentioned earlier if you want full service as regards food/drink you can usually pay a premium for it.

There's a degree of tightness being displayed here which I think is unhealthy, ...we're talking about a glass of water, or a cup of tea or coffee from a big jug! How much could that cost? A few cents perhaps, enough scope still for profit! I only suggest a minimum level of complimentary liquids; sell other drinks and food by all means.

Sounds to me like any passenger who could not pay would be treated the same way. The specifics of the individual's job/vocation are irrelevant in my opinion. I honestly can't see what the big deal is here. I don't consider it to reflect badly on the service provider in question at all.

I never mentioned any job/vocation. I agree that everyone should be treated the same (see above)

I suppose the nun could have spat in the cup to see if that would mean that she could keep it.

Not worth a reply I'm afraid.

Sorry, replies got mixed up with quotes. The "not worth a reply" comment only applies to the comment about spitting in the cup!

I don't think Standsted has incoming flights from Africa, so the Heathrow story does make some sense.

The last thing I'll say on this is just to summarise my comments above - the cost of supplying a free cup of tea or coffee, or a glass of water, will NOT affect the company's bottom line! Conversely, the first airline to drop this policy of seizing every opportunity to screw more money out of its passengers should be applauded, and it would be such a cheap and simple way of generating passenger goodwill towards the airline. Keep charging by all means for 'more substantial' or more expensive food and drinks, but we're only talking about a cuppa! And yes, treat everybody the same - give everyone a cup of tea if they want one, and if the non-imbibers feel hard done by, go ahead and have a cup.

The last thing I'll say on this is just to summarise my comments above - the cost of supplying a free cup of tea or coffee, or a glass of water, will NOT affect the company's bottom line! Conversely, the first airline to drop this policy of seizing every opportunity to screw more money out of its passengers should be applauded, and it would be such a cheap and simple way of generating passenger goodwill towards the airline. Keep charging by all means for 'more substantial' or more expensive food and drinks, but we're only talking about a cuppa! And yes, treat everybody the same - give everyone a cup of tea if they want one, and if the non-imbibers feel hard done by, go ahead and have a cup.

Now there are such Airlines, Cityjet or WillieWalsh Airlines (aka BA) still offer free drink (and nibbles) for Ecco passengers shorthaul.

If you fly low cost (and let's all face it AerLingus is Ryanair just with a lable of a flag carrier and with unions) than you get what you pay for.. nothing..

Never mind extras like coffee. Was on an aer lingus flight from JFK to shannon and the guy next to me had a fairly bad nose bleed just after take off. Seemed a bit shy so I asked the cabin staff if they had a tissue/first aid kit and was informed that there was no first aid kit on the plane. Would have thought this would be mandatory.

Hostess did offer to get a roll of tape from her bag if that would be any help! :eek:

Never mind extras like coffee. Was on an aer lingus flight from JFK to shannon and the guy next to me had a fairly bad nose bleed just after take off. Seemed a bit shy so I asked the cabin staff if they had a tissue/first aid kit and was informed that there was no first aid kit on the plane. Would have thought this would be mandatory.

Hostess did offer to get a roll of tape from her bag if that would be any help! :eek:

I am sure they are breaking the law if there was no first aid kit on board. Apart from looking after the public they should as an employer have a first aid kit on board.
Maybe like the coffee you are suppose to bring or buy your own. Come to think of it you wouldnt be allowed to bring your own first aid kit on board.
Thats progress.:rolleyes:

The last time I went to Tralee by train it cost me €60 return, but I didn't get or expect a free cup of coffee during that four hour journey. It surprises me that people expect it on a short hop flight that usually costs less. (And yes, I'll be looking at flying to Kerry Airport next time!)

they have to have a first aid kit on board.
IAA have regs on this, even though not sure if difference between transatalantic and continental short hauls.
Remember the whole thing about First Aid kit on Ryan Air flight that girl dies on?
Also the FAA have regs about passenger aircraft carrying certain specific items in First aid kits.

Back