Cup of coffee from Aer Lingus

If one chooses to fly "Wanna be like Ryanair" - sorry AerLingus, than one get's what one paid for....

If I remember right from my last flight with them there was a clear announcement that food and drinks are for sale and that prices are in the menu card.

Now why would someone order something without having the ability to pay in legal tender of either departure or destination or flag of the airline?

Now somehow this smells like an urban myth story....

he was just asking the driver when it changed etc and said that two or three people on the bus came forward with the €2. ( probably wanting to get him I know but all the same he appreciated it.)
What do you mean "trying to get him"? Sounds ominous! Visions of Midnight Cowboy and all that... :(

If I remember right from my last flight with them there was a clear announcement that food and drinks are for sale and that prices are in the menu card.
To be fair the announcements on flights are often very hard to hear in my experience anyway.

Meant to say - I have regularly seen people on flights getting a tea/coffee/sambo and only at that point realising that there was a charge and handing the stuff back when they could/would not pay up. Big deal.

Can this not all be summed up in the following ways:
1. No one gets something for nothing - even a missionary nun, student, bank clerk or football fan.
2. Could her neighbour not have just paid over €2 for her?
3. It's always pretty clear you've to pay for refreshments on board unless you're informed otherwise. I was on an Aeroflot flight this year where everything except alcohol or cans of minerals were free, but I wished I'd handed back the cardboard, sorry sandwich.

I REMEMBER on a flight from vienna to london with brit. airways back in 1995 the passenger beside me ordering a double vodka. He had just escaped from sarajevo which at that time was surrounded by serbs....anyway he ordered a second....and a third ...and indeed a few more.
I asked him about it and he said that all the drinks are free on schedueled flights with b.a.
Its a bit different with aer lingus and ryanair.

What do you mean "trying to get him"? Sounds ominous! Visions of Midnight Cowboy and all that... :(

sorry
was supposed to say trying to get home. must get a new keyboard. the cordless one packed up and I can't get used to this big chunky funny shaped one that came with the computer. should have read the post first though :eek:
all drinks and meals are 'free' on Turkish Airlines too.

I REMEMBER on a flight from vienna to london with brit. airways back in 1995 the passenger beside me ordering a double vodka. He had just escaped from sarajevo which at that time was surrounded by serbs....anyway he ordered a second....and a third ...and indeed a few more.
I asked him about it and he said that all the drinks are free on schedueled flights with b.a.
Its a bit different with aer lingus and ryanair.

Aer Lingus only started charging for drinks in the recent past. As far back as 1995, drinks of all kinds would have been free on Aer Lingus as well.

Aer Lingus only started charging for drinks in the recent past. As far back as 1995, drinks of all kinds would have been free on Aer Lingus as well.

Thats around the last time my friend traveled home last and would also be the last time she took a flight anywhere. She will now know better for her flight back to Africia in a months time.

Dr M

That was a God awful joke - I pray that you don't make a habit of it!

The coffee was to cost €2.00 which she didnt have so the hostess took the coffee back.

A bit mean but nothing really wrong...
It does not matter where she is coming from and what profession she does. In fairness, she could have got some € along the way, either in Africa or in UK.
How many people would claim not to have the right change/currency in order to get free coffee?;)

The only medical missionary nun I know is a consultant doctor!

Sorry if I'm guilty of stereotyping. The only knowledge I have of missionary nuns comes from 'The Nun's Story'. Well, the nuns probably told us about them in school, but I've blanked most of what the nuns told me out since leaving school! :eek:

She works as a Nun? Poor woman! Obviously she's a bit naive about life. That might explain why she thought she can use African money in Europe.

I agree it would have been nice of the Hostess to just give her the coffee (regardless of your friends career choice) but to expect coffee for free is ridiculous.

If I go into Starbucks today and get refused a free coffee, should I come back here and moan about it?

Seriously now...

I remember asking for a coffee last year in a Dublin coffee shop. Foolishly I didn't specify nor was asked large, medium or small? I was given the large rather than the small and felt a bit of a rip off about the transaction. (Clarification- rip off as the rest of us know it, Jim. And I haven't named the coffee shop. I also didn't complain to the manager).
Anyhow, when I said that I would prefer the small, the waitress poured the large coffee down the sink and gave me a new one. But get this. I was paying in Euro!!

Megan,

Please clarify for us whether it was an Aer Lingus flight or whether the flight was from Stansted (in which case it was not Aer Lingus) - Fair is fair, Aer Lingus are getting a bit of slating here and it might not even be Aer Lingus that is responsible in your thread !:D

No affiliation by the way !

Eh, she's done that already:
I should have said the fllght was from Heathrow and not Stansted.

And why would anyone slate them for running an airline as a sustainable business, instead of a 'charity' for vested interests and relatives to travel with free perks or reduced rates?

Eh.....Why was a nun looking for a psychoactive drug in the first place...?

i thought God would provide free coffee for all mankind !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Back