credit cards for people in debt

i have learnt from my mistakes and my debts are almost cleared. that is why i said i am never going to get into debt again. i only want a credit card with a very small credit limit, say 500 euro. the fact that everybody else in other countries (uk/usa...) deserves a second chance got me thinking. i want to start over and that's not a bad thing. i will just have to be very careful from now on.

ClubMan, it did sound like you know it all in relation to finance and that is why i asked you. mistakes do and will happen. anyway back to what i asked in the first place... i see that a financial compnay in th uk does credit cards starting with a 150 pound credit limit for those with a bad record. that would be great. if i had one of those i would be chuffed. i am looking at the convenience end of things only. from what i can see there is nobody like that here in ireland. i don't see a problem with wanting another card. after all, my debts are almost clear. i am not breaking any laws.

Look, I wasn't chastising you. I think everyone deserves a second chance, but that's the whole point. You have a second chance to be debt free and in control of your finances, and you're going to wreck it all over again by getting into debt. Of course credit cards are convenient, but that's the problem, you're looking at it back to front.

I got into debt myself before, and now I realise that I am not the type of person to have a credit card. It's hard to accept but I have to. Sometimes I think it would be great for booking holidays etc, but then I remember what it was like to owe my wages before I earned them.
You should call yourself aside too, it's the whole convenience of it that causes the problems. If you don't have the cash, you can't afford it, just be honest.

alpha - have you ever gone through the exercise of logging your expenditure to see where savings could be made and then drawing up a budget withing which to constrain your savings and thereby live within your means? This is a useful exercise for most people but particularly for those with a track record of getting into debt or mismanaging their finances. The three key topic threads pinned to the top of this forum contain some useful links and resources for assisting with this sort of thing in case that helps.

alpha said:
CCOVICH, not everyone that gets into debt is to blame. people can be fine one minute then extremely ill or redundant the next. i was very ill through no fault of my own and that is how i got into debt. nobody is talking about borrowing money and then doing a runner to the other side of the globe. you seem to be putting those in debt down. think first.

I never intimated as much. I resent the fact you believe that I didn't "think first". As Clubman pointed out (thanks), I wasn't running down those in debt, and I never have on this site, or anywhere else. I just feel that someone who seems to have had serious problems in the past should be so quick to get such a potentially dangerous financial instrument as a credit card again, regardless of the cause of those problems.

My post with the comment about Australia was directed at royrodgers. You should read first.

Also, you said here that you agree with me, i.e. you should concentrate on getting out of debt first, so why don't you just do that, and then think about getting a credit card?

Or has been pointed out, use the ptsb 3v card? The limit isn't much different from the £150 UK card you mentioned.

Or get an offshore credit card for a "huge fee". That sounds like good financial sense.

Nobody has the right to a credit card.

Either way, don't attack people who are answering your questions. You'll get very little sympathy from me if you continue in that vein.

they are not attacks, just opinions and comments. opinions and comments like everyone else has. i have the right to that just like you do. enough said. remember i am new to this site so excuse me if i don't have the hang of it yet.

alpha said:
they are not attacks, just opinions and comments. opinions and comments like everyone else has. i have the right to that just like you do. enough said. remember i am new to this site so excuse me if i don't have the hang of it yet.

You're not excused, not as far as I am concerned. One of your opinions/comments was directed at me, and it is/was incorrect.

I think the problem is that you said:
alpha said:
CCOVICH, not everyone that gets into debt is to blame.
thus implying that CCOVICH had said or insinuated that this was the case when, in fact, he did not as far as I can see. Perhaps we can resolve this issue amicably? :)

well i thought that's what he meant. my mistake. i won't say "my mistake" again. have you never made a mistake? i said "enough said" ages ago yet people still keep going on about it. amicably... i agree.

Note:

I have removed this post and responses to it, which added nothing to the discussion.

Brendan Burgess

Being in debt is no joke. You pay for double by people pontificating on their high horse, lenders constantly demanding their money back even though you may not be in a position to pay them back double as demanded, credit will not be given to you for 5 years and you will be certainly treated with suspicion even though getting into debt in the fist place was through no fault of your own. As mentioned the reasons for getting into debt may have been through illness or lost of employment or some unfortunate catastrophe.

From the posting I have read Irish people are very suspicious and have no sympatric for people who may have been unfortunate in life, but as the saying goes ‘what goes around comes around’!

Banks screws people everyday for millions, is that is OK, banks do have clean hands.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/4244242.stm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4219474.stm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/3920929.stm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/3939979.stm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/3521761.stm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/1986289.stm

None of those links are anything new, and I don't see what any of them have to do with people in debt? There is no evidence in any of those articles of banks behaving illegally or otherwise when pursuing debtors. They are all to do with overcharging (percieved and real), which is a different matter entirely.

Anyway, at the risk of being misquoted any further, and just to show that I don't give a sh*t about having the last word, I'm done with this thread.

Back