credit cards for people in debt

alpha

i was just wondering... i had several credit cards in the past but as of now i still owe money on them. mabs is helping me address this issue. are there any credit card providers in ireland that do credit cards for people who have a bad credit rating? also is it possible to get one with a bad credit rating? the latter being that i just go to a bank and apply. i am tempted to apply but am afraid i will be rejected. it could prove embarrassing. i am never going to get into debt again. everybody deserves a second chance in my opinion. look at the uk. in the uk and the usa they do prepaid credit cards. these are actual prepay cards you can hold in your hand which can be used at pos, atm machines, over the phone/internet and so on. they are way better than the 3v voucher. they are so hard to get though. easy for uk/usa residents. i would love one.

Hello,

PTSB have brought out a prepaid card, check with them for details.

Don't disagree that you deserve a second chance, but surely you should concentrate on clearing your existing debts before looking for a new credit card?

The 3v credit card mightn't be ideal, but it looks like the best option in your case. Otherwise, try and use Laser where possible.

CCOVICH said:
Don't disagree that you deserve a second chance, but surely you should concentrate on clearing your existing debts before looking for a new credit card?

The 3v credit card mightn't be ideal, but it looks like the best option in your case. Otherwise, try and use Laser where possible.

i agree that i should concentrate on the debts first. having said that i miss the credit card terribly. they are so necessary these days. i do shop over the net/phone but find sending a cheque or bank draft very time consuming. i have had a good few cheques/drafts go missing in the post! the cheque is easy enough to replace but drafts are more difficult. one has to wait a few weeks to get a replacement draft. all the talk of credit cards for those in debt in other countries has me so frustrated. i hear it is possible to get an offshore credit card but for a huge fee.

alpha said:
i agree that i should concentrate on the debts first. having said that i miss the credit card terribly. they are so necessary these days.
If you got yourself into financial difficulties using credit cards in the past and have not made adjustments to your budgeting and spending patterns to address these (not to mention clearing the backlog) then you really should think long and hard about the prudence of getting another card.

all the talk of credit cards for those in debt in other countries has me so frustrated.
All what talk? Why are you frustrated about not having a card while you deal with your existing financial and spending issues? It's not like they're essential for survival and, in fact, could just put you into more debt if you're not careful.

I will be surprised if you get a credit card as your credit rating will show your current situation when a credit card company makes a check on you. If they do give you a card then it will be at a very high rate of interest rate because they will see it as taking a risk with you because of your past history. Do try and get by without a card if possible.

i am making regular payments to clear the backlog. as for all the talk on poor credit rating credit cards, just look at the tv/internet. those cards are all over the usa/canada/uk...

Yes, I agree with you, however your credit rating will be taken into account and that is the sentence you will have to pay for not paying your debts I think it is 5 years in Ireland but it varies with different countries it is 6 years in the UK and in US it is more years. Banks talk to each other no matter what they say about confidentiality and the banks have a debt collecting section and no doubt your name will be with them. It is not fair but that is how it is. Now if you had friends in high place then it would not be a problem but the most of us are not that lucky and we have to pay the price.

royrogers said:
Banks talk to each other no matter what they say about confidentiality and the banks have a debt collecting section and no doubt your name will be with them. It is not fair but that is how it is.

What's not fair-that banks should seek to recover debts? How would you like if I borrowed money off you and then fecked off to Australia without paying it back? Would you not take reasonable steps to recover it?

Or is it 'not fair' that bad debt write offs and provisions increase the cost of borrowing for everyone else, including those who have a clean credit history?

royrogers said:
Now if you had friends in high place then it would not be a problem but the most of us are not that lucky and we have to pay the price.

What 'friends in high places'? Can you expand on this?

CCOVICH said:
What's not fair-that banks should seek to recover debts? How would you like if I borrowed money off you and then fecked off to Australia without paying it back? Would you not take reasonable steps to recover it?

Or is it 'not fair' that bad debt write offs and provisions increase the cost of borrowing for everyone else, including those who have a clean credit history?

What 'friends in high places'? Can you expand on this?

Anything useful for you in here [broken link removed] :)

CCOVICH, not everyone that gets into debt is to blame. people can be fine one minute then extremely ill or redundant the next. i was very ill through no fault of my own and that is how i got into debt. nobody is talking about borrowing money and then doing a runner to the other side of the globe. you seem to be putting those in debt down. think first.

I'm of the opinion that people who get into debt may not be to blame but they are responsible for their situation, just as we are all responsible for any situation in which we find ourselves. I don't think that CCOVICH was running down those in debt either.

so someone who gets parkinson's, alzheimer's or becomes severely deformed due to brain damage is responsible? a person like that has no control over their responsibilities. i am only saying this as an example mind.

If they do not have the ability to deal with things for themselves then the reponsibility passes to their next of kin, primary carer or the relevant committee if they are made a .

so in other words the ill person "themselves" is not responsible anymore. that is what i am getting at.

i take it your a financial official and that you know everything there is to know about financial law?

No. I don't work in finance in any capacity. These comments are my opinions (as I clearly pointed out earlier) based on my understanding of the issues involved.

ClubMan said:
I'm of the opinion that ...
Are you saying that people should not be responsible for their debts in certain circumstances? Just to reiterate I am drawing a clear distinction between blame and responsibility here just in case you are confusing the two.

Credit cards are actually debt cards, and why someone who is in the process of getting their head above water financially would want a "debt card" is beyond me. Yes people get into debt through no fault of their own, but I'd imagine these people learn from their mistakes.

Back