Coffee maker

If you don't want to buy an expensive coffee maker here's an alternative:-
1. Boil the equivalent of a mug of milk in a saucepan
2. When just coming to boil turn off supply of electricity or gas
3. Add a table spoon of good quality coffee (not the instant stuff) and stir.
4. Pour the lot into a small emply plastic milk carton and replace the cover.
7. Shake the plastic milk carton like you mean it.
8. You should now have an enjoyable mug of decent coffee.

. . . . . and you didn't have to pay €3,500.

Maybe I’m missing something here but personally I wouldn’t find a boiled milk drink with coffee grinds floating around in it appealing.

It's a plastic cafetiere. I have one and use it twice a day. Around €50 to buy.
You won't like it, as it is not extracted under pressure. (Not passing judgement, just from your post above).

Looking at the demo video, it seems that it is extracted under pressure, there is a piston and a sealed chamber.

And it has the great advantage that you can use your own beans, you are not restricted to the ones Nescafe chooses. Which I like but I would prefer the freedom to choose.

And of course it is easy to clean, an huge issue !

I can feel an Aeropress coming on.

Maybe I’m missing something here but personally I wouldn’t find a boiled milk drink with coffee grinds floating around in it appealing.

This is the normal way coffe is drunk in most of Eastern Europe, it is considered Turkish style rather than the Italian style we are used to. I agree its a bit of an acquired taste, (yeuch).

Hi Cremegg,
the pressure of the aeropress is the same as the pressure that is in a Cafeteire. As opposed to a nexpresso or espresso machine.

The coffee is steeped in the water, and then the plunger pushes the water out, similar to plunging the metal filter down in a cafeteire, or French Press.

In any event, it's worth a punt for €35.

i get it...so to get an insomnia tasting latte I need to buy an extraordinary priced machine that grinds the beans circa €700....I think I’ll head to insomnia now !!

I think the point is that €3 a day is over €1,000 a year...

If you don't want to buy an expensive coffee maker here's an alternative:-
1. Boil the equivalent of a mug of milk in a saucepan
2. When just coming to boil turn off supply of electricity or gas
3. Add a table spoon of good quality coffee (not the instant stuff) and stir.
4. Pour the lot into a small emply plastic milk carton and replace the cover.
7. Shake the plastic milk carton like you mean it.
8. You should now have an enjoyable mug of decent coffee.

. . . . . and you didn't have to pay €3,500.
That sounds like a punishment

Hi Cremegg,
the pressure of the aeropress is the same as the pressure that is in a Cafeteire. As opposed to a nexpresso or espresso machine.

The coffee is steeped in the water, and then the plunger pushes the water out, similar to plunging the metal filter down in a cafeteire, or French Press.

I find the pressure in the Aeropress higher than a French Press. The seal inside the container is quite tight - although it does weaken with age (tell me about it!). I use the paper filters. I think it gives a superior coffee to the cheaper "espresso" machines with the capsules - and better that the big coffee chains. There are a few niche independents that I really like but otherwise I am happy with the Aeropress and decent coffee beans.

Hi Cremegg,

Switch to a stainless steel filter for the Aeropress, it allows the oils to pass that paper filters block and it requires more pressure. I have a Gaggia as well, but due to limited space and too many gadgets, it's often not out on the counter, so I mostly use the Aeropress and like the results. I wouldn't class myself as an aficionado or anything though.

Hi Leo,
yes, I have the stainless steel filter. I bought it when the paper filters ran out.
I find that the coffee is stronger with the stainless (as you said, because of the oils) but I actually find it requires less pressure to push it down than the paper did. But that's neither here nor there.

The only extra faff with the steel filter is cleaning it/scraping the grinds off into the compost. With the paper filters, you just push the whole lot out of the aeropress straight in.

It's also a hell of a lot cheaper than the pods. I buy either Bewleys coffee in Supervalue or just found Robert Roberts in Lidl, which I have yet to try.

One of these days i might try grinding my own, but that increases the faff levels too much at the moment.

I buy either Bewleys coffee in Supervalue or just found Robert Roberts in Lidl, which I have yet to try.

I don't care for either of those. Good fresh beans make a difference.

I like the Lavazza Espresso blend beans (black/brown bag) which I can get in Tesco from time to time. I don't care for the cheaper Lavazza red label either. For a bargain, though, Lidl stock a really nice smooth blend in their occasional Italian promotion week at about €8 per kilo - Italiamo Caffe Traditionale blend (not the Espresso blend in an otherwise identical blue bag - it has a proportion of robusta beans in it - but if you like a more robust French roast style you might like it). Flavourwise I find the Caffe Traditionale very similar to the Lavazza Espresso blend.

For a bargain, though, Lidl stock a really nice smooth blend in their occasional Italian promotion week at about €8 per kilo - Italiamo Caffe Traditionale blend
Perfect timing - available from this Thursday! 6.99 per kilo.
As 'supermarket' coffee goes, it's a bargain. I think the Lavazza is about 15 euro.

Perfect timing - available from this Thursday! 6.99 per kilo.
As 'supermarket' coffee goes, it's a bargain. I think the Lavazza is about 15 euro.

The Lavazza Espresso blend is promoted at this price around Christmas - (otherwise it is about €19 when in stock). The red label retails at around €15 but is sometimes on cheaper promotion.

Yes, the Italiamo Cafe Traditionale blend is a real bargain - and I think that is a euro cheaper than usual !

yes, I have the stainless steel filter. I bought it when the paper filters ran out.
I find that the coffee is stronger with the stainless (as you said, because of the oils) but I actually find it requires less pressure to push it down than the paper did. But that's neither here nor there.

I wonder is the mesh finer in the one I have, it requires quite a bit of extra pressure.

The only extra faff with the steel filter is cleaning it/scraping the grinds off into the compost. With the paper filters, you just push the whole lot out of the aeropress straight in.

I leave the steel filter in place and rinse it out, then push the plunger in fully forcing water through. Next I turn it upside down under a running hot tap and pull the plunger out. Works pretty well.

Anyone have the de longhi Dinamica ....bean to cup - €400...any good ?
Exactly what I have, but I bought it on sale. It's absolutely fine, you just need to clean it properly which is quick to do. You can use either beans or ground which is handy, for exactly it's possible to ground decaf.

But it's 'entry level' to the dark world of coffee machines. They wouldn't be rated by 'aficionados', but they do the job.

I'm the only person in the house that drinks coffee, so I can't justify something more expensive, like a Sage Barista Pro.

I like Nespresso coffee from the bigger capsules. I also have a De'Longhi pump coffee maker and a hob top espresso pot.
Other than the pretentiousness of the brand I have no issue with Nespresso but now that I can't recycle the capsules through Parcel Motel cutting them open to put the granules in the compost bin and the aluminium in the recycling is a pain. I probably prefer the espresso pot to the pump coffee machine. I use the same beans in both.
I'm far from an expert on the subject though.

We put the coffee granules in the compost bin and recycle the L'Or pods by posting them back (when we have enough to do so)

On a different note, If I were to down the route of grinding my own coffee, what's the best way to go about it. Should I grind as required, or grind and fill up a small kilner jar once a week?

I am going to get a load of stuff from the Lidl Italian week (the jars of onions are like katnip to me) so I can get the Cafe Traditional blend.

Should I grind as required, or grind and fill up a small kilner jar once a week?

I usually grind as required but you should be fine to grind up a small supply and keep it in an airtight tin/jar.

I use this this grinder (https://www.amazon.co.uk/DeLonghi-KG79-Professional-Burr-Grinder/dp/B002OHDBQC/ref=sr_1_5?_encoding=UTF8&c=ts&dchild=1&keywords=Electric+Burr+Coffee+Grinders&qid=1613470214&s=kitchen&sr=1-5&ts_id=3544814031) but I think the model has been replaced. I have it set to the amount that suits me and then it is just push button. There are many other models and brands.

I like Nespresso coffee from the bigger capsules. I also have a De'Longhi pump coffee maker and a hob top espresso pot.
Other than the pretentiousness of the brand I have no issue with Nespresso but now that I can't recycle the capsules through Parcel Motel cutting them open to put the granules in the compost bin and the aluminium in the recycling is a pain. I probably prefer the espresso pot to the pump coffee machine. I use the same beans in both.
I'm far from an expert on the subject though.
Lavazza also do Nespresso compatible pods - and they're compostable in the brown bin.
[broken link removed]
I've found that website great, very quick delivery, also have great offers on the Lavazza bean packs. 10% off first order and free postage over 50e too - no affiliation just a happy customer.

Back