Coffee maker

Society

I bought a dolce gusto coffee pod machine. the lattes taste horribly bitter. I’ve tried the Nescafé snd Starbucks Latte pods and both bitter although Starbucks slightly less so.
anyone any tips to make it taste nicer?

Buy any of the espresso type coffee, you get 16 to a box rather than 8, and add your own milk. You can get a foamer in any homeware shop.

Leper can recommend a good coffee machine if you have €3.5K to spare! :D
I was wondering when and who would point Society in my direction! And since I last posted on the matter we've saved at least €100 on exterrnally purchased coffee (even if we could have got it?). Our coffee machine was worth every cent. I'm enjoying a proper mug of coffee as I write.

But, advice coming from people who drink tea other than Barrys is not good. Purple is due up next . . .

Those pods things are a curse on humanity & should be banned.

Get a simple cafetiere (french press).

No. The coffee from a cafetiere is half way to instant, it is not extracted under pressure, which is the point of a coffee machine.

Aeropress, I havent heard of this, must check it out.
It's a plastic cafetiere. I have one and use it twice a day. Around €50 to buy.
You won't like it, as it is not extracted under pressure. (Not passing judgement, just from your post above).

I got a Dolce Gusto machine as a present some months ago. I have tried various capsules from Tesco, Lidl and Aldi. None of them compare to freshly ground coffee.

I'm going to buy a reusable capsule, put freshly ground coffee in it and try that. From what I read online these capsules can be finicky and the water can leak from them.

I can't comment really on "capsule coffee" but any that I've been given have always seemed to lack body
Cafeteria's make a nice cup sometimes but most of the time the coffee is made way to strong for my likings
But for me a classic type drip feed coffee maker makes the best cup for my tastes
and is probably the most cost effective way for me to get my daily coffee fix

Weirdly for me, I find if I can only drink filter coffee (drip feed) if it's made within 5 minutes. After that, if I drink it it destroys my stomach The same with orange juice, freshly opened, no problem, after a short while, can't touch it.
I find the coffee from the Aeropress to be grand. Bit of a faff cleaning it up/scraping the grounds into the compost (I bought a metal filter after I used up all the paper ones that came with it.
Still, a damn sight more environmentally friendly than the coffee pods (which my wife uses).

If you don't want to buy an expensive coffee maker here's an alternative:-
1. Boil the equivalent of a mug of milk in a saucepan
2. When just coming to boil turn off supply of electricity or gas
3. Add a table spoon of good quality coffee (not the instant stuff) and stir.
4. Pour the lot into a small emply plastic milk carton and replace the cover.
7. Shake the plastic milk carton like you mean it.
8. You should now have an enjoyable mug of decent coffee.

. . . . . and you didn't have to pay €3,500.

1. Boil the equivalent of a mug of milk in a saucepan
2. When just coming to boil turn off supply of electricity or gas
3. Add a table spoon of good quality coffee (not the instant stuff) and stir.
4. Pour the lot into a small emply plastic milk carton and replace the cover.
7. Shake the plastic milk carton like you mean it.
8. You should now have an enjoyable mug of decent coffee.

That sounds ........ r-e-v-o-l-t-i-n-g !

I think I might pay €3,500 not to have it !

Weirdly for me, I find if I can only drink filter coffee (drip feed) if it's made within 5 minutes. After that, if I drink it it destroys my stomach The same with orange juice, freshly opened, no problem, after a short while, can't touch it.
I find the coffee from the Aeropress to be grand. Bit of a faff cleaning it up/scraping the grounds into the compost (I bought a metal filter after I used up all the paper ones that came with it.
Still, a damn sight more environmentally friendly than the coffee pods (which my wife uses).
We have a Lavazza pod machine, way nicer than the Nespresso ones (my in-laws have one of those), the pods are compostable and go in our brown bin. Though we've changed recently to mostly having stove-top espresso in the morning.

i get it...so to get an insomnia tasting latte I need to buy an extraordinary priced machine that grinds the beans circa €700....I think I’ll head to insomnia now !!

i get it...so to get an insomnia tasting latte I need to buy an extraordinary priced machine that grinds the beans circa €700....I think I’ll head to insomnia now !!
I won't comment on Insomnia coffee!

But no, you don't need to spend hundreds. But what will help is if you use real milk, rather than powered milk and sugar / sweeteners.

Try heat milk in microwave or saucepan, and then just make an espresso with your machine, and see what it's like. Step up from that is to treat yourself to an electric milk frother, which you can use regardless of how you make your espresso.

Back