Choose one to be “resolved”: Brexit, Covid or Trump.

Drakon

Given a choice between:

* A “good” deal Brexit
* A “viable” Covid vaccine confirmed
* Donald Trump not being re-elected

... by the end of 2020, which would you choose as them most important for you, for Ireland and for the world?

100 per cent Covid to be resolved.
I would take my chances with the other two...

Covid has had the most dramatic impact on the global economy, trump and brexit don't rate in comparison. The whole strategy of lockdowns ,furloughs and borrowing massive sums of money to prop up the economy are all based on a vaccine being imminent. If that turned out not to be the case the economy would collapse because the bond markets would stop lending the vast sums of money. Everything is based on covid being temporary and that normal economic activity returns that needs to happen early next year.

Fair points.
I suppose the thing about Brexit is it has a looming deadline, 31 December.
US President inauguration is 23 January or thereabouts.
Covid I rank least important as it doesn’t have a deadline. Though I’d take 24 January.

As for trump an interesting fact, he is the first president since Jimmy Carter not to go to war with any country, if Biden and Harris get in will there be more trouble in the middle east as they probably won't leave them settle their own problems which was the trump strategy, isolationism.

I wonder was that a major reason for Trump getting elected , in the first place ?

One of his few achievements, not going to war.
It didn’t do Jimmy Carter any good though. I think public opinion at the time was that he should have stood up to the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan, and not doing so swung people towards Ronald Reagan. Having said that, RR was extremely popular amongst American voters. Especially the second time ‘round.

I wonder was that a major reason for Trump getting elected , in the first place ?
I doubt it. I’d put his election to rise of populism, the anti-establishment vote, the TV personality appeal.
If he gets in this time, I don’t know what to put it down to.

I doubt it. I’d put his election to rise of populism, the anti-establishment vote, the TV personality appeal.
If he gets in this time, I don’t know what to put it down to.

I expect Trump to lose 'bigly', but it's a what if of history - without covid I think he might have won, or at least run Biden very close.

It didn’t do Jimmy Carter any good though. I think public opinion at the time was that he should have stood up to the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan
I think it was more to do with the Iranian revolution and the iran hostage crisis where diplomats in the US embassy in Tehran were taken hostage and held for 444days. I think Carter because he was a pacifist was taken advantage of.
Trump on the other hand is seen as a madman therefore Iran and others cannot predict how he will react therefore they do not risk doing anything too provocative.
Its interesting though maybe the president Trump will be compared most to is Jimmy Carter another one term president who came in from left field like Trump, wasn't Carter a peanut farmer ? Also Carter ran for re election in 1980 Trump in 2020.

Last edited:
One of his few achievements, not going to war.
Not sure how a negative can be considered an "achievement".

His actions in regards to travel bans, forcibly separating children from their parents, extortion, and racism will be his legacy.

Its interesting though maybe the president Trump will be compared most to is Jimmy Carter another one term president who came in from left field like Trump, wasn't Carter a peanut farmer ? Also Carter ran for re election in 1980 Trump in 2020.

He does have some parallels with Nixon I think, even though he was VP before President the way he came back from his ;'wilderness' years as an outsider.
Also as a big business populist Republican, and the amount of investigations, tribunals etc racked up

Covid vaccine, better for the economy overall. 80% of what Trump does has no impact on Ireland. To be brutally selfish, I don't care about who sits on the Supreme Court over there.

I think the only parallels that Trump has is with himself. I do not think I could compare him with any poor unfortunate .....

I think the only parallels that Trump has is with himself. I do not think I could compare him with any poor unfortunate .....
Nixon was a nasty racist who courted the evangelical right but he was also competent, strengthened and reformed the Federal Government (he set up the FDA) and ended the Vietnam War which JFK had started (I know the US was there before he was elected but he turned it into what we remember).

Back