changing banks

Hi Max - When you say ABN Amro, I presume you mean that the credit card was issued outside of Ireland. I don't see how this benefits you, by comparision to using an Irish-issued credit card (except possibly to avoid the €40 stamp duty) - please elaborate? How much does the monthly bank transfer to pay your bill cost you? Did you need an address in the country of the issuer to get the card in the first place?

Of course, you could get your Irish issued Amex Blue and get 1% cashback on all your purchases - better still.

No address or Dutch required. I have the meager monthly shekels lodged directly to the account. Just supply the task master with an BIC and IBAN instead of a NSC and account #. I have the full balance deducted monthly, but can change that over the net if the need arises. The card comes with life insurance, 6 month purchase protection, concierge service (tix, reservations for hotels and restaurants in Holland, Germany, and Belgium, worldwide travel planning and booking, etc.) for the €49 annual fee. Which to my mind is value for money. All that for the €9 difference (€49 - €40) per year.

boi to tsb

kerinsp, i am currently changing from boi to tsb. apparently no catch if you have mirgtage with them. also no fees perhaps if you get salary paid in directly.
however it appears you will be charged 20euro govt tax for their atm card if you intend availing of cirrus as it's linked to laser. with boi i got away with 10 euro levy for pass & cirrus ( i have no need for laser or cheque gurantee ).

Re: boi to tsb

I have the meager monthly shekels lodged directly to the account. Just supply the task master with an BIC and IBAN instead of a NSC and account #. I have the full balance deducted monthly, but can change that over the net if the need arises.
I don't get it - if your montly salary is being lodged directly to the credit card account, why would you ALSO have the full balance deducted? Or do you mean that you have a Dutch current account as well as the Dutch credit card? I note that seem to require a minimum balance of €2,500 for their current accounts for non-residents.

Wrong about the €2500.
<!--EZCODE LIST START--><ul><li>What is the minimum deposit to open an account?<!--EZCODE BR START--><!--EZCODE BR END-->We advise you to keep a minimum balance on the account of approx. EUR 2,500</li></ul><!--EZCODE LIST END-->
That is for commercial customers. The plebeians are catered to .<!--EZCODE BR START--><!--EZCODE BR END--><!--EZCODE BR START--><!--EZCODE BR END-->Salient point is -
Niet-ingezetene (niet ingeschreven in de Nederlandse Gemeentelijke Basis Administratie):

» Nederlandse nationaliteit: een geldig paspoort, identiteitskaart of een nog geldig Nederlands rijbewijs
» Niet Nederlandse nationaliteit: een geldig paspoort of identiteitskaart*.

* Alleen identiteitskaarten uit de volgende landen kunnen worden geaccepteerd: België, Duitsland, Finland, Frankrijk, Griekenland, Italië, Liechtenstein, Luxemburg, Oostenrijk, Portugal, San Marino, Spanje en Zwitserland.
Ireland and the UK do not issue ID cards (watch this space).<!--EZCODE BR START--><!--EZCODE BR END--><!--EZCODE BR START--><!--EZCODE BR END-->NB. some Dutch<!--EZCODE LIST START--><ul><li>ingeschreven = registered</li><li>ingezetene = inhabitant, resident</li><li>niet = not, non</li></ul><!--EZCODE LIST END-->HTH

ulser bank charges

i've been with ulster bank for years and never paid charges as long as my account was in the black. however they have recently 'moved the goalposts' , and you now only get free banking as long as you have at least 500 in your account at all times.

Back