changing banks

K

kerinsp

Hi,

I have been with BOI for many years but I am now starting to pay bank charges. It seems like its 28 c for every transaction which for me ended up costing 27.44 from 24th May to 20th Aug.

I seen an ad today for permanent tsb offering free banking if you are 1000 euro in credit (never going to happen with me!) or if you have a mortgage with them which I do.

Has anyone changed from BOI to PermTSB and is there a catch with PermTsb's free banking offer?

Paul

How are you only paying bank charges now! I have been with BOI for years and a/c always at least 700e in credit. They have charged me for everything! I am thinking of changing as well. I have BOI laser and CC and bank loan. Also curious is it loads of hassle to change banks?

I rang my branch (BOI too) a while back and asked the girl about stopping charges on my account...she sort of laughed and then realised I was serious and said I'd hear from the manager about it in due course...probably by letter. Never heard a thing. I wouldn't be surprised if the manager never even got the message or if he filed me in his bin.

I should really move but I'm a terrible procrastinator. When/if I do I'll be writing them a letter outlining the poor service they've offered me over the years as a parting gift.

move

Hi,

The reason I am only paying fees now is that I had a student account with them for years and then I got put on a graduate account where you dont pay fees for a few years. Now its 28 for everything including all my laser card transactions. Feck that.

Paul

Bank Charges

NIB is really free - and you only have to be in credit - no limits.

Charge.....

Kerinsp,

Is it the case that you dont have to borrow money from your fiendly bank ?

Do you have a credit card ?

If yes to both above then why not pay as many things as possible by credit card and preload your credit card with most of your pay ?

Also, IIRC there is no charge for taking out cash on a credit card if the account is in credit - can anyone confirm or deny this ?

( You will also be paid the meanest rate of interest that you did ever see on you c/card credit balance. )

that wont suit me

I am overdrawn every month and yes I have a credit card which I am determined to clear but I have no spare cash these days with mortgage, household bills, motoring expenses etc.

Re: that wont suit me

kerrinsp - if you are regularly overdrawn you are in for more of a shock if you have somehow had the overdraft facility fees waived up to now.

I have seen situations where there was a €4.44 fee *per transaction* with an NIB business account when overdrawn. This is in addition to the interest charge. I'm not sure what the situation is with BOI in this regard but you may wish to check it out soon.

z

PTSB

I'm with PTSB and it's probably seven or eight years since I've paid them bank fees, BUT I don't always have a min. balance of €1k, I think they just look for you to have an average balance of the quarter maybe. I also have my mortgage with them so maybe that's why they don't charge me. I think it's great. My Hubby's with BOI and it astounds me how much he has to pay - at least €32 every quarter and he wouldn't use the bank that much really, have to persuade him to move one of these days. Actually, he did try to before but he was told something silly by PTSB that he couldn't get an atm card for at least 8/12 weeks. Maybe that's something you should check out before you make the move over.

thanks coyote

They are sending me out some sort of information pack (probably a leaflet). I will check it out then.
I hardly ever go into the bank myself. All Online or over the phone usually.

free banking

Hi kerinsp,

I posted a similar question here a while ago but can't seem to find the link (ok i didn't look that hard)

After some good advise from the contributors I was alset to go to nib, armed with the knowledge that i had a back up plan i went in to the branch to ask about being charged fees. After a brief chat the girl at customer service (without having to consult with anyone) had no problem extending it for a year, the yr is not up yet ........ Worth going in to have chat with them

charges

What about making changing easier though, aren't IFSRA supposed to be doing something

Re: charges

I've read recently in the papers that a code of conduct on switching banks should be ready soon. It's probably worth waiting until it comes into force (early next year?) because it should take a lot of hassle out of the move.

BTW, Bank of Ireland seems to have some of the lowest charges for people who run overdrafts according to this IFSRA [broken link removed].

I've read recently in the papers that a code of conduct on switching banks should be ready soon. It's probably worth waiting until it comes into force (early next year?) because it should take a lot of hassle out of the move.

According to a piece in today's Irish Times it comes into force next February. The article says:
"Under the code, if consumers decide to switch their current, deposit or savings accounts, their new bank will be obliged to have the new account up an running within 10 working days of the date on which they approve the application.
Currently, consumers must handle the time-consuming process of switching all standing orders and direct debits from their old to their new accounts.
But under the code, consumers sign a transfer for authorising the old bank to give the new bank a list of direct debits and standing orders, which the new bank then sets up. This process must be completed within seven working days"

did ulster bank have a free banking scheme or something a few months ago?

Last I checked PTSB's ATM card's don't work abroad.
AFAIK they are the only bank with this problem, and I've never had it explained properly to me.

Worth Considering.

-Rd

> Last I checked PTSB's ATM card's don't work abroad.

PTSB recently added Cirrus capabilities to new and existing Laser cards:

[broken link removed]

ifsra survey link

here is the actual link to that IFSRA survey on personal current accounts:

[broken link removed]

right-click on link, save target as.

well worth printing out, for refenence.

requires that u have free Adobe Acrobat Reader, download link:

www.adobe.com/products/ac...step2.html

I am continually amazed at anyone's reluctance to avail of their EU rights and use them to their own advantage (meanwhile disadvantaging the Irish banking cartel). The newly-minted EU Minister McGeedy might just provide some [broken link removed].<!--EZCODE BR START--><!--EZCODE BR END--><!--EZCODE BR START--><!--EZCODE BR END-->Personally, I charge everything possible on a [broken link removed]from (petrol, drinks, groceries, fees, etc.) Hardly ever have [broken link removed] in my pocket. The best is that the merchant is paying for the service (well, the other punters are paying prices 2.5 - 3% higher to cover the credit card acceptance fees) instead of me paying the Irish banks [broken link removed] [broken link removed] [broken link removed] [broken link removed]<!--EZCODE BR START--><!--EZCODE BR END--> for the privilege of a [broken link removed] transaction!?!

Back