Can you paint your own parking place outside your house?

So it's first come first served then? This person can park her car in a specific disabled space in the city centre all day long while at work thus depriving those other disabled drivers the use of that space during the day?

Spaces are few and far between and they are for the use of all disabled drivers throughout the day. I think it's extremely selfish for one person to lay claim to that one space for the whole day.

If someone else was parked in this spot she wouldn't have been able to use it!!! Disable Parking spaces are open for anyone with a permit to use - no matter what type of business they are involved in!

Dem's the rules all right - first come, first served. Have you asked other disabled drivers what they think about these rules? Do you expect a disabled person who works 9-5 to keep moving their car during the day?

I stand corrected. Here is the info from the citizens information site.

"If you have a valid European Parking Card, the disabled parking spaces provided by local authorities are free of charge and no time limits will apply to your parking. Some private car parks may charge for use of a disabled parking space, but this will vary depending on the operator".

However I am sure that disabled drivers wouldn't be so selfish as to hog a space for themselves, would they?

However I am sure that disabled drivers wouldn't be so selfish as to hog a space for themselves, would they?

Whats selfish about it? They need the space, the space is free, they have a permit - why is it selfish to use it?

"

Why on earth not??:confused: Why should disabled drivers be subject to time limits when availing of dedicated spaces? They're entitled to go about their business in a normal way. The able-bodied/non-disabled (what is the pc term??) face no such restrictions. Am I selfish if I park in town for the day, disregarding the needs of others who might want to park there? Assuming I'm in a proper space and have paid the fee if applicable, why should I concern myself with a hypothetical situation whereby another driver *might* want to park in the same space? Why should a disabled driver have to take this into consideration???

Why on earth not??:confused: Why should disabled drivers be subject to time limits when availing of dedicated spaces? They're entitled to go about their business in a normal way. The able-bodied/non-disabled (what is the pc term??) face no such restrictions. Am I selfish if I park in town for the day, disregarding the needs of others who might want to park there? Assuming I'm in a proper space and have paid the fee if applicable, why should I concern myself with a hypothetical situation whereby another driver *might* want to park in the same space? Why should a disabled driver have to take this into consideration???

I think that most Display & Pay parking spaces on public streets have restrictions as to the length of time that you can park there, so there are restrictions on able bodied drivers. I think for disc parking it is two hours.

I understand that there is no fee for disabled drivers to park in a space for disabled drivers.

I have no problem with parent and child spaces as long as:

a. They're not right beside the door, excluding elderly people, people with bad backs etc from being allowed to use these spaces

b. Its made very clear on the sign that these spaces are for parents with babies or toddlers in tow, not parents with 7 or 8 year olds who are perfectly capable of getting out of a car in a normal space.

I also saw a car parked in one of these spaces, right up beside the door of Tesco in Rathfarnham, a couple of weeks ago. The dad was in the car with the kids, while the Mum was presumably inside doing the shopping.

I would never park in a disabled space and I think people who do so are selfish scum.

I think that most Display & Pay parking spaces on public streets have restrictions as to the length of time that you can park there, so there are restrictions on able bodied drivers. I think for disc parking it is two hours.

I understand that there is no fee for disabled drivers to park in a space for disabled drivers.

Able bodied drivers have alternatives, such as using the bus or luas. Disabled drivers have to use their cars and restricting the amount of time they can stay in a space would hugely limit them.

not to add fuel to the fire, but i park in the parent and child spaces all the time...i drive a large suv and the regular car park spaces can be a joke sometimes trying to squeeze in and out...however i'd never use a disabled space.

I've 2 kids and think the child parking spaces are unnecessary. I don't mind looking for a spot closest to the door just like anyone else.

I'm sure other people have issues too- in a rush, big car, left the oven on at home ;)

To get back to the original post, the LA will line out a disabled parking space outside the relevant house to the holder of an EU parking permit. ( a relative has one done) . They will also drop the kerb at the space to make it easier for wheelchair.They used to use the proper heavy yellow paint as used in double yellow lines. However I recently saw one done in white paint. I think there is something coming in to have the entire ground area of the space painted like some shopping centres do. ( that's so the inconsiderate eejits who park in disabled spaces while not entitled to do so can find them easier :rolleyes: )

Are your kids in infant seats though? Does your regular shop/centre have wide spaces anyway?
I can assure you that where I shop, with 3 children in a variety of seats, the p&c space is completely necessary! Nothing to do with being close to the door. This isn't the case everywhere though.
Yup, twins in baby seats. We just make do with the best spot I can get and getting them in and out. Don't get me wrong- it's great when I get one, but I don't always and we get by :)

not to add fuel to the fire, but i park in the parent and child spaces all the time...i drive a large suv and the regular car park spaces can be a joke sometimes trying to squeeze in and out...however i'd never use a disabled space.

I think needing an SUV to go to the shops is the real joke.

Hah- I'm not at all :) At least they haven't started messing with doors and car seats yet. I dread the day :eek:

Why don't we adopt the U.K. system whereby disabled drivers can park on double and single yellow lines for up to 3 hours and free at Pay and Display machines. It doesn't seem right that in Ireland whoever gets to the space first can keep it for the day.

The concessions provided under the scheme apply to on-street parking only.
Badge holders may park on single or double yellow lines for up to three hours in England and Wales, except where there is a ban on loading or unloading. There are also a few locations where local schemes apply, such as parts of central London. You must display both your Blue Badge and parking disc showing time of arrival.
There is no time limit for parking on yellow lines in Scotland.
Badge holders may park for free and for as long as they need to at on-street parking meters and pay-and-display machines, unless there is a traffic sign specifying a time limit for holders of Blue Badges.
Where a time limit is in force you must also display the special blue parking disc showing time of arrival.
While the scheme operates throughout the UK, there are small variations in its application in Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland from England. Please see the relevant website for further information

Why don't we adopt the U.K. system whereby disabled drivers can park on double and single yellow lines for up to 3 hours and free at Pay and Display machines. It doesn't seem right that in Ireland whoever gets to the space first can keep it for the day.

Allowing anyone to park on double-yellows is not a good solution - too many safety issues for everyone involved.

Would you ever go out and talk TO some people with disabilities instead of talking FOR them? See what (if any) problems they have with the current situation.

From my experience, the users in question don't have a problem with other people taking up a space for the day. They can park on any metered spot free of charge with no time restriction, so if the designated spot(s) are taken, they find another spot. It might be a bit more difficult to get out of the car (if less space available) or get up on the kerb (if no dished kerb available), but that isn't the end of the work. From my experience, the main problem for people with disabilities is that non-disabled people often take these spaces.

Disable Parking spaces are open for anyone with a permit to use - no matter what type of business they are involved in!

Not quite. But that's the way it happens:rolleyes:.

Unfortunately it is not an offence to use someone else's permit or abuse the permit in any way - you just have to display a permit.

There are plenty of recorded instances of ignorant inconsiderate (able bodied) people using disabled permits on JCB's, large vans and HGVs.

Allowing anyone to park on double-yellows is not a good solution - too many safety issues for everyone involved.

Would you ever go out and talk TO some people with disabilities instead of talking FOR them? See what (if any) problems they have with the current situation.

From my experience, the users in question don't have a problem with other people taking up a space for the day. They can park on any metered spot free of charge with no time restriction, so if the designated spot(s) are taken, they find another spot. It might be a bit more difficult to get out of the car (if less space available) or get up on the kerb (if no dished kerb available), but that isn't the end of the work. From my experience, the main problem for people with disabilities is that non-disabled people often take these spaces.

When you post YOUR opinions are you talking FOR disabled people?

When you post YOUR opinions are you talking FOR disabled people?
No - I'm telling you what people with disabilities have said to me on this issue. Interesting article in today's Examiner on abuse of these permits in Cork.

Back